Gator Basketball Gators barely hold off dismal St. Josephs squad, 70-62

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
2pm on ESPN2. Let’s not give up on the season 4 games in.

Today’s the day we bust out, I can feel it!...or maybe that’s the tacos I ate last night, not sure.

Anyways, Go Gators!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
They may be the best team we have played. All are in double figures almost and their big guard is killing it with 19 pts per game and 9 rebounds.
St Josephs has been good at BB for awhiile now. I hope our boys loosen up and play without worrying. Maybe they have taken on White's uptightness. Mike always looks serious and the opposite of relaxed. I say we send him a case of your finest alcoholic elixer to help him
stop worrying about the small stuff.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Oh that's today? I think I'll pass like I have the ball at the 3 point line in a 3 point game with time running out.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
a day game? Had no idea. Not to disagree, but St. Joe's has not been good in basketball since Jameer Nelson went to college there. Is Phil Martelli still the coach? He must be 90 tears old by now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They may be the best team we have played. All are in double figures almost and their big guard is killing it with over 20 pts per game.
St Josephs has been good at BB for awhiile now. I hope our boys loosen up and play without worrying. Maybe they have taken on White's uptightness. Mike always looks serious and the opposite of relaxed. I say we send him a case of your finest alcoholic elixer to help him
stop worrying about the small stuff.

What a ridiculous post. They’re ranked 243rd on the power index. We should annihilate them.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
2pm on ESPN2.

2PM? On a Thursday? Wtf. Time to set the DVR.

I hope our boys loosen up and play without worrying. Maybe they have taken on White's uptightness. Mike always looks serious and the opposite of relaxed

I've been thinking this as well lately, that the coach's personality is suffocating the team. If I were White, I'd say "Fellas, no gameplan, just go out and have some fun. Stick to your defense, but go wild on offense and get creative." See what the players can do when they aren't stuck waiting in one spot for the pass or to get their shot. No pressure, just fun, turn it loose and see what they can do.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

I've been thinking this as well lately, that the coach's personality is suffocating the team. If I were White, I'd say "Fellas, no gameplan, just go out and have some fun. Stick to your defense, but go wild on offense and get creative." See what the players can do when they aren't stuck waiting in one spot for the pass or to get their shot. No pressure, just fun, turn it loose and see what they can do.
I could not agree more. I think Galen Hall was that sort of influence with the team after Charlie was deposed. Laid back. Now when Norman was deposed and the brought in that nut job from UT (Don Devoe) he was the opposite. Wanted Livingston Chapman to run and run with his bad knees. It was like Frank Burns coming in to lead the team. All pomp and shttty circumstances.
One other thing I was thinking was he may be reluctant to run a fast movement based offense because his defense is so important and takes up so much energy.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
For those of you confused about playing at 2 pm on a Thursday, it's the Charleston Classic. So tomorrow we'll either play Miami or Missouri St., and Sunday we'll play one of Buffalo/UConn/Towson/Xavier. Basically a 50% chance of a rematch from the last week. :lol:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know but I am just blah about the basketball team right now. St Joes beat UCONN who we lost to so unless we can shoot better and make 3 pointers, I have ZERO confidence that we can win any games. They run a high tempo kind of offense so White will probably try to slow them down so that makes for more boring basketball and another close loss. Again I have no confidence until I see that we are able to actually make shots and shoot better than 35%.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
2pm on ESPN2. Let’s not give up on the season 4 games in.

Today’s the day we bust out, I can feel it!...or maybe that’s the tacos I ate last night, not sure.

Anyways, Go Gators!

Definitely not giving up since we have barely started just concerned about the lack of improvement.
We completed the proverbial “team meeting “ this week which typically suggests that the coach is out of answers so hopefully the players can figure it out for themselves starting at 2pm today

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Im on the TLB train right now..........or is the Snoopy train. Either way they both have it together about life and basketball........

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
We did have more ball movement last week. More time to mesh, play more relaxed. maybe just maybe we will come around. GO GATORS

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

No game plan? Just freelance it?

yeah. That’ll work.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Having a productive inside game would make up for having an off night by our outside shooters. That's exactly what we have needed in every game this year. Even when our outside shots do fall, I would rather see us being highly productive feeding inside. When Locke hits a 3, mostly credit is on Locke. But when we maneuver the ball inside to score, that has more of a teamwork feel to it.

Want to see a teeming team attack today - like those invasive species of carp packing northern waterways.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The alternative is the one guy dribbles with four statue teammates offense, so it can't be THAT much worse. :lol:

What we are playing, the way we're playing so far .... that has to be our very worst style, as we average 63 ppg.
St.Joseph averages 88 ppg. Yes, I realize our defense can hold them below their average, So we'll see.
Is White throwing these players so much into defense that they cannot throw themselves into offense?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No game plan? Just freelance it?

yeah. That’ll work.
To be honest, the complaint the first couple years with White was the team looked like they were playing street ball. Just freelancing it without any set plays. So, what does White do? Installs the stall ball with everyone standing around. It’s his way of giving us the finger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.