Gator Baseball Gators baseball #1 recruiting class

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Try this. Name the coach that you think has done better than Sully since 2010.

Doesn’t change a thing. He’s underperformed badly during crunch time with loaded rosters. All this other stuff people are bringing up about national teams % of making the CWS over the past 20 years or what other coaches would have done better is just noise. The facts are incontrovertible.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Doesn’t change a thing. He’s underperformed badly during crunch time with loaded rosters. All this other stuff people are bringing up about national teams % of making the CWS over the past 20 years or what other coaches would have done better is just noise. The facts are incontrovertible.
Alright. Since you are ready to get rid of him, we need to think about replacement. Who are we going to get that has sufficiently performed or over-performed in the last 10 years? Take your pick. Whatever amount of salary and buy-out. I'm willing to pay for an over-performer. Who is it?

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Why would anyone talk about getting rid of Sully when he's the only coach that has brought us a Natty and continues to recruit on a very high level? Absurd.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Team by team, how many went “0-2, it’s time for BBQ” and how often did they do so?
Two teams do it each and every year. CSF has done it 4 times in a row. Off the top of my head, the holes, Louisville and scUM have done it. If you wanna know more, look it up yourself.

Yup, the fact that only ONE number 1 seed in the past 20 years has won the title, and 19 straight have not, is telling. It is an indubitable fact the most talented team almost never wins the title. So did 19 out of 20 coaches with loaded rosters choke at crunch time? Isn't comparing Sully to other coaches an apples to apples comparison? When are you gonna answer the question about which coach has been better the past 10 years? I'll give you a hint. There's only been one, and his title last year is the only thing that's elevated him above Sully.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Try this. Name the coach that you think has done better than Sully since 2010.

Alright. Since you are ready to get rid of him, we need to think about replacement. Who are we going to get that has sufficiently performed or over-performed in the last 10 years? Take your pick. Whatever amount of salary and buy-out. I'm willing to pay for an over-performer. Who is it?

Allow me to clarify. I’m not advocating that Sully be fired. I think we need to give him this season to see how the team does. If Sully doesn’t go all the way this year, then he should be gone.

As far as other coaches, Tim Corbin at Vandy, Vandy FFS. The guy has been to the CWS four times. He’s won it twice, runner-up once and 3rd place once. He has far less talent than Sully yet he overachieves. His teams are scrappy. You know how many 0-2, BBQ’s he has at Vandy? ONE...and that was the year he had one of his pitchers die the night before the regionals. Go look at their seasons even when they don’t win it all. They fight hard, scrap and push the other team to the brink. They don’t fold like a tent made in China.

Ray Tanner, back to back CWS titles in 2010 & 2011 and runner up in ‘12.

Pat Casey at Oregon State. CWS titles in ‘06, ‘07 & ‘18.

I’d recommend we look at former LSU coach Skip Bertman. That guy didn’t choke away opportunities at the CWS like Sully does.

All these guys would be good replacements.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
As far as other coaches, Tim Corbin at Vandy, Vandy FFS. The guy has been to the CWS four times. He’s won it twice, runner-up once and 3rd place once. He has far less talent than Sully yet he overachieves. His teams are scrappy. You know how many 0-2, BBQ’s he has at Vandy? ONE...and that was the year he had one of his pitchers die the night before the regionals. Go look at their seasons even when they don’t win it all. They fight hard, scrap and push the other team to the brink. They don’t fold like a tent made in China.

I’d recommend we look at former LSU coach Skip Bertman. That guy didn’t choke away opportunities at the CWS like Sully does.

:headslap: Vandy's had the number 1 recruiting class 4 out of the past 5 years. Since 2011, the last year I could find rankings, Vandy's class has been better than ours 6 of 9 years. They have a major recruiting advantage in that they have some kind of cost of attendance program in which kids that go there go for free as long as their parents don't make over 175k. Corbin has 2 titles in 17 years, but 3 less CWS appearances and two years of not making the tourney at all. Sully gets the next five years to win a 2nd title, and two years of not making the tourney at all, correct?

Tanner is SC's AD, he isn't coming here or anywhere else. Regarding baseball, he had 2 titles and 5 CWS appearances in 16 years. Yup, that means 4 more years for Sully to get his 2nd, and 4 years of not making the tourney at all.

Pat Casey has been at OSU 25 years. It took him 11 years before he even made the tourney, you would've run him off long before had had a chance to win.

Skip Bertman is eighty-freaking-one and hasn't coached since 2001.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Allow me to clarify. I’m not advocating that Sully be fired. I think we need to give him this season to see how the team does. If Sully doesn’t go all the way this year, then he should be gone.

3 retired guys and the guy who has a recruiting advantage due to the free money at Vandy. Nice try. Even if any of those guys were still coaching, and even with Corbin's talent advantage, none of them has been as deep in the NCAA Tournament as many times as Sully during Sully's tenure here, or even during their most recent 12 years of coaching. I'm not calling him the best coach. But he's definitely one of them. He's got lots of credit to burn through before he is on the hot seat at UF in my book.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I have no faith in Mace or Leftwich. I'm hoping Barco takes the number 1 spot by seasons end. Maybe another pitcher steps up.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Video was taken while you were posting this...

giphy.gif

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Its clear he doesn't like anything Sully related and would rather not even make the CWS which Sully has done more than any UF coach ever has at UF.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
:headslap: Vandy's had the number 1 recruiting class 4 out of the past 5 years. Since 2011, the last year I could find rankings, Vandy's class has been better than ours 6 of 9 years. They have a major recruiting advantage in that they have some kind of cost of attendance program in which kids that go there go for free as long as their parents don't make over 175k. Corbin has 2 titles in 17 years, but 3 less CWS appearances and two years of not making the tourney at all. Sully gets the next five years to win a 2nd title, and two years of not making the tourney at all, correct?

Tanner is SC's AD, he isn't coming here or anywhere else. Regarding baseball, he had 2 titles and 5 CWS appearances in 16 years. Yup, that means 4 more years for Sully to get his 2nd, and 4 years of not making the tourney at all.

Pat Casey has been at OSU 25 years. It took him 11 years before he even made the tourney, you would've run him off long before had had a chance to win.

Skip Bertman is eighty-freaking-one and hasn't coached since 2001.

Corbin’s 2 CWS titles have occurred since after Sully took over at Florida, but actually closer to the past 7 or 8 years. Don’t try and fool people into believing it’s taken him 17 years to win those titles. We were talking about coaches who have outperformed Sully during a comparable time frame. He & Tanner did that.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Does Sully not get any credit for annually recruiting such a strong team that he can even have these expectations? That is a part of coaching too. This is the equivalent of OSU fans being upset with Meyer. Only one title but plenty of playoff appearances, multiple conference championships, and one of the best rosters every year in the country. I’ll take that in baseball. If he had pulled a Mike Martin and never won - that would be one thing. But he has won a NC and if he continues to bring in the talent that he does, its likely he will win again.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gators just need to start playing hardball.
Last year's team underperformed in an unusual year.
Still, baseball is a sport that an underdog can go on a short span tear that allows them to defeat overall better teams.
Over last year's play we need better batting averages, more home runs, and better pitching = wow!
Sustaining a long winning streak is another fun-gift UF baseball can give us.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Okay, I criticize Sully's game management decisions at times and always ask why he did not do something specific. I don;t criticize just b/c something does not work. But to be fair your suggestions show what happens when you live in GEORGIA.

Ray Tanner was a good baseball coach but when put into a real decision making position, he hired MusDump. Disqualifies him for any other position

Skip Bertman if still alive, must be 95 years old. JFC man get away from those toothless hillbillys in that state before you completely lose the rest of your marbles.

But otherwise I like you :fistbump:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Ray Tanner was a good baseball coach but when put into a real decision making position, he hired MusDump. Disqualifies him for any other position

Skip Bertman if still alive, must be 95 years old. JFC man get away from those toothless hillbillys in that state before you completely lose the rest of your marbles.

But otherwise I like you :fistbump:

I’m suggesting Ray Tanner as baseball coach, not AD. He’s a heck of a coach...handed Sully his head in the CWS finals.

Skip Bertman. Not too old to recruit & coach. The young kids love him. Have you seen his Twitter account-the guy has like 200,000 followers. Check it out when you have a moment. The guy would kill it in Gainesville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb