Gator Basketball Gators beat #13 LSU on the road

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Huge run? Just need to beat vandy, uga and misery and we're in.

I am including our current win streak in the big run. I was tired. If we lose the last two and lose in the first round of the SEC. That's 18-14...does that get us in. I have doubts.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Im thinking we get his best class in here that gives him way more options and depth and go from there. Billy never kckd ass till he got Miller and Dupay and a few others...........

Billy got Miller and Dupay his second year at UF so never was a pretty short time period

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine if he had a front line.

White has had a front line, as every program with 6'8" scholarship players does. He just never "forced" the team to utilize it. He let them stay "stand-arounds" ... with no movement toward the rim, with no actionable purpose. White's game was for the 3-pt shooters. Our desperate W-L record forced him into throwing his hands up and commanding them to work the ball inward. The new style payed off.= we had more balanced scoring. We surprised opponents and scored at better % -- enough to stay close and to break opponents down. We won two straight games that most expected us to lose. Bravo.

These vitalized Gators started battling all over the court. We won more battles in the right places - inside the arc. Many positions started playing like they were a relied-on part of the team - - they've moved into action, instead of "dead-head" watching, hesitancy. (Maybe Pinkins has been allowed more say-so?)

With the old-style, few of us expected improvement = same ole same ole. Now, we're improving in so many new ways that we're becoming a more balanced basketball team, the kind White should have insisted on from season's start. Okay, he has wised up some (OTJT?). Now our "talls" can learn & improve themselves and the team into tournament-worthy.?? Do not back-slide, coach White. Let everybody gel into scoring on a higher % of our possessions. Why did you wait so late? too late, considering all the learning practices these guys could have had?

Have these Gators been activated? Watch to see, Bassett, Stokes, KJohnson , Hayes contributions go up. Something new and better for us to watch, to root for. Let's continue to advance.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
White has had a front line, as every program with 6'8" scholarship players does. He just never "forced" the team to utilize it. He let them stay "stand-arounds" ... with no movement toward the rim, with no actionable purpose. White's game was for the 3-pt shooters. Our desperate W-L record forced him into throwing his hands up and commanding them to work the ball inward. The new style payed off.= we had more balanced scoring. We surprised opponents and scored at better % -- enough to stay close and to break opponents down. We won two straight games that most expected us to lose. Bravo.

These vitalized Gators started battling all over the court. We won more battles in the right places - inside the arc. Many positions started playing like they were a relied-on part of the team - - they've moved into action, instead of "dead-head" watching, hesitancy. (Maybe Pinkins has been allowed more say-so?)

With the old-style, few of us expected improvement = same ole same ole. Now, we're improving in so many new ways that we're becoming a more balanced basketball team, the kind White should have insisted on from season's start. Okay, he has wised up some (OTJT?). Now our "talls" can learn & improve themselves and the team into tournament-worthy.?? Do not back-slide, coach White. Let everybody gel into scoring on a higher % of our possessions. Why did you wait so late? too late, considering all the learning practices these guys could have had?

Have these Gators been activated? Watch to see, Bassett, Stokes, KJohnson , Hayes contributions go up. Something new and better for us to watch, to root for. Let's continue to advance.
I get your POV, rog, but you do realize that our power forward is 6'4", don't you? The TV crew was talking about it last night.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I wonder if the team just relaxed a little bit, came out and played hard but not tight. There are fewer players in the mix and they are more comfortable with each other and enough shots are starting fall. A real bright spot was when Hayes had to sit we hung in there and kept the game in hand.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Amazing KJohnson asserts his will on those larger players. But, IMO Hayes, Bassett, Stokes have joined KJ in upping their contributions, even with too little practices at doing so. I'd love to have just one of LSU's tall trees, but these Gator beat them, as is.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Rog, you demanded that we go inside against a bigger, stronger LSU front line. I didn't think that it would work. It did: you were right. I respect that, but when you go on about how simple this is and how an experienced coach didn't know that, well, I am tempted to say: "If White had only taught Johnson to be 6'8" we could expect a deep run at the big dance".

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That Reed dude was unstoppable. I would imagine he would go pro but who knows.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You're correct AR in gently showing I've become a shrieking harpy - but, my internal frustration pressure just built up too much to control. Sorry, if my posts caused y'all's internal frustration pressure to increase?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
You're correct AR in gently showing I've become a shrieking harpy - but, my internal frustration pressure just built up too much to control. Sorry, if my posts caused y'all's internal frustration pressure to increase?
You are always cool, rog. I would say "pretty kewl", but we both know where that would lead.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

No worries for me. I may be tipping into the crazy zone, but I'm starting to understand everything you say. I now think of shooting percentage when looking at stat lines first and foremost.

You know, I may be closer to crazy than I realized.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The key to our improvement inside the arc is not as much related to our bigs as it is our commitment to attack the basket on the drive. Andrew, Allen, Johnson, Hudson have not just settled for 3’s. They are attacking the rim.

Our primary bigs were never going to be scorers....here or anywhere else. It’s not their skill set or lack of coaching imo. They are also not volume rebounders. On better teams they would be valued backups. Hayes is undersized and cannot handle stronger guys. He brings leadership, hustle and can be a shot blocker. But he can’t be coached into a 15 pt 10 reb guy. Neither can Basset. Stokes is limited by height but does have some savvy around the basket. Stone is 6’8 with a 6’4 skill set. He is not an inside scoring threat. All would be ideal backup players on a championship level team. All would be excellent role players.

We have some shooters. Attacking the basket helps open up those shooters. Those shooters knocking down shots opens up lanes to attack. I like what we’re doing now and it appears we are getting more aggressive and look more comfortable doing it. I also like the execution on some sets especially inbounds plays.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Billy D's 1st 2 teams had losing records in 96-97 and 97-98 at 13-17 and 14-15. Dupay, Haslem and Miller burst unto the scene as freshman in the 98-99 season and finished 22-9. It was during Billy D's 3rd season that he really got things going and into the Sweet 16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb