Gator Basketball Gators beat #13 LSU on the road

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Billy D's 1st 2 teams had losing records in 96-97 and 97-98 at 13-17 and 14-15. Dupay, Haslem and Miller burst unto the scene as freshman in the 98-99 season and finished 22-9. It was during Billy D's 3rd season that he really got things going and into the Sweet 16.
And played for a national title in year 4.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
The key to our improvement inside the arc is not as much related to our bigs as it is our commitment to attack the basket on the drive. Andrew, Allen, Johnson, Hudson have not just settled for 3’s. They are attacking the rim.

Our primary bigs were never going to be scorers....here or anywhere else. It’s not their skill set or lack of coaching imo. They are also not volume rebounders. On better teams they would be valued backups. Hayes is undersized and cannot handle stronger guys. He brings leadership, hustle and can be a shot blocker. But he can’t be coached into a 15 pt 10 reb guy. Neither can Basset. Stokes is limited by height but does have some savvy around the basket. Stone is 6’8 with a 6’4 skill set. He is not an inside scoring threat. All would be ideal backup players on a championship level team. All would be excellent role players.

We have some shooters. Attacking the basket helps open up those shooters. Those shooters knocking down shots opens up lanes to attack. I like what we’re doing now and it appears we are getting more aggressive and look more comfortable doing it. I also like the execution on some sets especially inbounds plays.

Agree with every word. This is our team in a nutshell. This is why Chiozza was such a big loss. Dude was a slasher. Look what good things happen when Nembhard starts slashing.

Last edited:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m pretty sure UF reached the Elite 8 in year 2 with the current coach.

With a roster provided in full by the previous coach.

Many people on here seem to compare the Florida transition to other coaching changes that are completely different.
Will Wade, and others, were hired because their predecessors were not getting it done so the program and the roster were in shambles. White inherited a program that was flourishing and a roster that had just completed the "once/decade" transition year during Billy's tenure.

The people that tout the fact that White went to the elite eight (with the roster Billy left) are the same people that complain that Billy left the cupboard bare. Which is it?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With a roster provided in full by the previous coach.

Many people on here seem to compare the Florida transition to other coaching changes that are completely different.
Will Wade, and others, were hired because their predecessors were not getting it done so the program and the roster were in shambles. White inherited a program that was flourishing and a roster that had just completed the "once/decade" transition year during Billy's tenure.

The people that tout the fact that White went to the elite eight (with the roster Billy left) are the same people that complain that Billy left the cupboard bare. Which is it?
I don’t care if Billy the recruited the players. White coached em to the Elite 8. Donovan was 16-17 (8-10 SEC) his last year BTW.

White’s recruiting is looking strong right now. The team is thriving on on the current freshmen class, and the next class is his best.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t care if Billy the recruited the players. White coached em to the Elite 8. Donovan was 16-17 (8-10 SEC) his last year BTW.

White’s recruiting is looking strong right now. The team is thriving on on the current freshmen class, and the next class is his best.

Everyone realizes that Billy was 16-17 his last year. I was sitting on the third row right behind Billy that year as well as the 34 years prior to that season.
As I have said many times on the board, Billy had a transition year twice in his 19 years. The first one was 2008-9 after back to back titles. The one you reference came after 3 maybe 4 straight years of reaching the elite eight and one final four. When White wins two trophies and multiple trips to the final four, we can then evaluate a specific year from a comparative standpoint.

I agree that White seems to have turned the corner on recruiting but only after whiffing for the most part his first couple of years while living off the roster he inherited. I am anxious to see how he does with topflight talent that he recruited. I am hoping that he really gets it going but if he doesn't..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator