Gator Basketball Gators beat Alabama 71-53

misty17grad

Sep 29, 2018
That was a fun game! That was my first game at Coleman and it’s made me realize how spoiled I have become by being a Gator. The student section sucks at Coleman.

There was a point in the first half where Bama made a “run”. I think it was around 2:00 mins or so left in the half. It ended with a 3 attempt that clanged off to a gator. That place would have lit up and Bama could have been within a couple buckets and have all the momentum. Instead they stayed in their seats, grumbled, and Florida stretched the lead.

I was worried in the second half near the 10 minute mark... but second verse was same as the first.

Go Gators!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
UF's defense would not allow Bama to play their usual game. Gator's offense went inside more than in the past, thus we used a more balanced attack between inside & outside. So, in 2-pt FGs we hit 67.7% (21-31)** and that kept us in the driver's seat (pun intended).

We upset Bama by improving our offensive style and it looked like a style that we were not well practiced at. IMO had White been drilling Gators in this style from the onset of basketball season, we would have beaten Bama even more handily. If White continues to rehearse this style, Gator teammates will "work-it" better and better. Gator basketball will start to look balanced like so many other successful teams. Could be a whole "new season"?? As always, the blueprint of the team is up to the HC, what the HC emphasizes into players' basketball-IQ and how that is verified to the players' by how & what they practice.

Overall, of course, White can supervise these Gators into slipping back to "Gators as usual" with us losing half or more of our games. Can only watch to see. Hope these Gators are becoming "Go Gators"!

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Great game. Ball movement and defense were superb. When Bama cut the lead to 7, Nembhard made a beautiful drive & 3-point play to snuff their rally. And Hayes again played his tail off and made some key offensive plays.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If this team falls off the bubble, then, IMO White should go "whole-hog" into developing this squandered team into primarily a fast-passing, basket-driving, high inside-valuing team = readying these freshmen for the style ball that next year's big-star freshmen can push. What's done is done. Please White, stop doing that "bombs away" low % stuff.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Some here assume that every fault the team has is due to White's failure to advise them against it. A good Professor manages to get students to learn more, but no one gets every student to learn everything. Some classes learn more from some professors than do others. Isn't it a bit odd that these Gators have learned defense brilliantly and offense so poorly? If the fault is solely, or even mainly, White's, should there not be a narrative to explain this peculiar result?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Did not get a chance to see game, but obviously an impressive, excellent win against a team on the same level and on the road. Here is hoping it can be carried over into the remaining games, especially against those teams that would enhance tourney chances.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Some here assume that every fault the team has is due to White's failure to advise them against it. A good Professor manages to get students to learn more, but no one gets every student to learn everything. Some classes learn more from some professors than do others. Isn't it a bit odd that these Gators have learned defense brilliantly and offense so poorly? If the fault is solely, or even mainly, White's, should there not be a narrative to explain this peculiar result?

I think it more the case that people worry meltdowns are a White trait. His team won the regular season 3 straight years at LaTech but did not close the deal on bid any of those years. His first year at UF his team was in good shape for a bid and faded with some bad losses. This year it is the losses after having double digit leads in the second half that worry some UF fans.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
White earns his accountability. If we discount his accountability, then he should give UF a discount on his 2 million $ salary? Also, I'd like to know what White changed to get all players shooting high % FTs?

White's defense works great, but that involves focus and physicality that is low to the floor. The best offenses operate with height, up high where White neglects out of his bball history. Up high (and inside) is where the 60+% FGs take place, nearer to the goal. Can we drive to get the opposing D stumbling? Can "bigs" follow to receive a dish-off or execute a put back? Can a 3-pt sharpshooter be set for the kick-out? How many times has all this been practiced, choreographed?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
White earns his accountability. If we discount his accountability, then he should give UF a discount on his 2 million $ salary? Also, I'd like to know what White changed to get all players shooting high % FTs?

White's defense works great, but that involves focus and physicality that is low to the floor. The best offenses operate with height, up high where White neglects out of his bball history. Up high (and inside) is where the 60+% FGs take place, nearer to the goal. Can we drive to get the opposing D stumbling? Can "bigs" follow to receive a dish-off or execute a put back? Can a 3-pt sharpshooter be set for the kick-out? How many times has all this been practiced, choreographed?
Remember, Coach White is young and learning too. Coach Donovan had a learning curve also, of course he gave us a lot more hope.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Remember, Coach White is young and learning too. Coach Donovan had a learning curve also, of course he also gave us a lot more hope.

Yes and this is why people were so concerned to see the same type of meltdowns this year as against Wisconsin in the NCAA tourney his second year at UF. Barry's block and Chiozza's shot do not change the fact that UF pissed away a substantial lead in regulation. Two years later we are seeing the same type of issues in multiple games.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I think it more the case that people worry meltdowns are a White trait. His team won the regular season 3 straight years at LaTech but did not close the deal on bid any of those years. His first year at UF his team was in good shape for a bid and faded with some bad losses. This year it is the losses after having double digit leads in the second half that worry some UF fans.
The collapses this year worry me for this team. But many posters are attributing every conceivable fault to his coaching. He has had a deep tourney run and tonight the team faced a run, took a TO and came back and put them away. Not getting my hopes too high, but it could mean the team is growing up.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The problem is that HC of the Florida Gators basketball team is not the place to be learning.

Really some confusion arises due to the HC of the Florida Gators learning in 1997 was ok, but that was a different job than HC of the Florida Gators today. Having so many old liners in the UAA seems to have some of them thinking of UF jobs like it was pre 1990. Three football titles and two basketball titles changed the jobs of HC of those sports.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We are in position now to have a chance at least. If we beat the 3 terrible teams left on the schedule and get one win out the 3 games left against LSU (2) and KY we would get a spot I think. Our RPI is still mediocre at like # 66 but a quality win would help that a lot. The bubble will be soft this year it appears.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I said we had to go at least 5-3 down the stretch to have a prayer at the tourney, and we're 2-0 so far. Winning at LSU this week would put us squarely back in the field. Lose and we still have some very winnable games following LSU. Hopefully Locke can break out of his slump, but Nembhard and Johnson both played their best games of the season yesterday. Keep it up!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
KJ has really developed throughout the season and has really produced since being inserted into the starting line up following the Stone injury. Locke has been great all season until his hip/groin injury so hopefully he can battle through that and hit some 3s to get him going. Allen has been pretty steady all season while averaging close to 16 points game in SEC play. Hayes has been very workman like with his hustle plays. Go Gators!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator