Gator Basketball Gators beat Alabama 71-53

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Lunardi has us in the Last Four In right now. Our W/L record obviously isn’t good, but the computers love us because of our difficult schedule. I still think finishing 17-14 and picking up any win in the SECT gets us into the dance.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lunardi has us in the Last Four In right now. Our W/L record obviously isn’t good, but the computers love us because of our difficult schedule. I still think finishing 17-14 and picking up any win in the SECT gets us into the dance.

I think it would be short myself. I know they look at other stuff now but that would probably have us no higher than 60 in the RPI which hardly ever gets you in even with a very soft bubble. I think if we don't finish 18-13 in the regular season we will need a run in the SEC tournament.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We are 6-6 in SEC games. Not a strong recommendation. Most important tonight, what style do we play? Do we play a balanced attack correctly using inside the arc maneuvers and shots or do we rely on the luck of 32% probability 3-pt shots? Given our low chance of getting in and low chance of winning in it, a smart use of the rest of the season is to "practice" these youngsters towards readiness for next year's increased inside style play.

We meed to be coached to:
1) make opposing defenses lag behind our rapid passes.
2) push the ball towards the closer-in shot.
3) draw fouls, make them worry towards mistakes.
4) do battle inside for shots, put-backs, and rebounds.
5) keep sharp our top-notched defense.
6) capitalize on those few times when a 3-pt shooter is accurate?? but don't rely on that.
Grow Gators.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We are 1-9 against top 50 RPI teams and only 4-11 against top 100 RPI teams. If we don't win tonight we will probably have to win our next 4 games after that to get in the tournament. The 3 games before LSU at home aren't going to help us much but a loss to any of them would probably shut the door on us.

I'm not an expert so forgive my ignorance but how can we be 29 in KenPom and 1-9 vs top 50 teams? Are these rankings that heavily skewed to who you play not who you beat?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not an expert so forgive my ignorance but how can we be 29 in KenPom and 1-9 vs top 50 teams? Are these rankings that heavily skewed to who you play not who you beat?

I am not sure but we have a terrible record against the better teams. Butler and Bama aren't too far out of the top 50 however but Ole Miss - our lone win against the top 50 RPI teams could drop out themselves if they don't watch it.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it would be short myself. I know they look at other stuff now but that would probably have us no higher than 60 in the RPI which hardly ever gets you in even with a very soft bubble. I think if we don't finish 18-13 in the regular season we will need a run in the SEC tournament.

Yeah. I think a 4-2 finish probably gets us an 11 seed at 18-13. I'd take that and run if we could get in and avoid the play-in game.
Anything less and we probably don't get an at large. The conference tournament is pretty much meaningless . Seeds may get adjusted
slightly, but the regular season is what the committee values most. The only way the SEC tournament would matter for us is if a team like
A&M or Missouri got hot and won the thing stealing an at large.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We are 1-9 against top 50 RPI teams and only 4-11 against top 100 RPI teams. If we don't win tonight we will probably have to win our next 4 games after that to get in the tournament. The 3 games before LSU at home aren't going to help us much but a loss to any of them would probably shut the door on us.
If we go 3-3 and win 2 conference tournament games we're in. The bubble is pretty weak this year. I don't know how the rpi factors in anymore with is this new quadrant system and what not. But with our schedule, 3-3 and 2 tournament wins, I think think wed at least get a play in game.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
DaRealGator never showed up for this thread huh? Oh wait nevermind, we won this game...

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Updated bracketology

Good news : Lunardi has us as a 10 seed playing in Jacksonville. Big bump from the win the other
night, as he has us squarely in the field at this time.

Bad news : We play Iowa. A solid team that isn't a great matchup for us . They have a really good
big guy, and three guards that shoot north of 40% from 3. I think they will end up as a 5,but a really tough
game if that is where we end up.

Worse news: If we somehow got by Iowa we would almost surely have a date with UNC in the round of 32.
Sometimes big time upsets fall your way, like when we avoided a very good Georgetown team a few years ago
and got to play Gulf coast in the sweet sixteen. I think a 10 seed is about as good as we can get, but that particular draw
and possible matchups aren't good. Frankly it would be better to be an 11 seed in that particular bracket.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I wouldn't even begin to think about the match-ups yet, as there are way too many games remaining for all teams that will likely change this. At this point, I'm looking at the variables determining "are the Gators in or out?", and just beginning to consider what range of seed we could get depending on which games we win/lose.

Until the last week of the regular season, I won't even look at bracketology beyond the possible seeding.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Updated bracketology

Good news : Lunardi has us as a 10 seed playing in Jacksonville. Big bump from the win the other
night, as he has us squarely in the field at this time.

Bad news : We play Iowa. A solid team that isn't a great matchup for us . They have a really good
big guy, and three guards that shoot north of 40% from 3. I think they will end up as a 5,but a really tough

Worse news: If we somehow got by Iowa we would almost surely have a date with UNC in the round of 32.
Sometimes big time upsets fall your way, like when we avoided a very good Georgetown team a few years ago and got to play Gulf coast in the sweet sixteen. I think a 10 seed is about as good as we can get, but that particular draw
and possible matchups aren't good. Frankly it would be better to be an 11 seed in that particular bracket.

I prefer a 10 seed. It puts you against a 7 who is usually flawed. It for sure keeps you out of Dayton. Some years it is 12s at Dayton and some years it is 11s. Sure you are likely to get a 2 in the second round, but really once you are past the first round, you are going to play someone with players unless you are lucky enough to get an upset opposite you.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Palm is updated today too. He has UF as an 11 playing ........ Iowa the 6 in Tulsa. The good news of this bracket is the 3 is Houston. The bad new is the 2 is UNC, but as I said, you have to play good teams to keep advancing.

And of course first off this team has to not stumble to UMo at home tomorrow to stay on track to make the tourney. So first things first.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Still too early to discuss match ups. We just have to win this next game vs Mizzou. Then @Vandy and then at home vs UGA. Can't trip up vs any of those 3 teams...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb