Gator Basketball Gators beat Georgia 62-52

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Two things stand out to me about crunch time in this game:

1. With UF up by 8 Nembhart (AGAIN) at the 1:15 mark and Allen at the 0:44 mark missed the front end of one and ones. Fortunately UGa did not score after the Nembhart miss, but that really really has to stop happening. Allen has made plenty of late FTs and made couple later in this game. Nembhart has to start making those FTs.

2. Allen today was the guy UF could turn to for a basket late in the game. He was of course hot early and then did not shoot much for a long stretch. Then when it mattered he step up and made a 3 and then drove for a shot two point shot. IF this is the start of Allen being assertive in key moments, then this team can potentially fix their collapse problem.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I'm just happy they corrected the big lead give away. Not collapsing down the stretch hopefully is a good indicator. Locke, Johnson, Allen played well and really were solid down the stretch. Nembhard had 5 assists to 2 turnovers. Pretty good on the road for a frosh.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Beating Georgia in any way, any fashion, is always a good thing.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Any word on Keith Stone’s injury? It didn’t look good at all but I am hoping for the best news

As usual with such injuries, he sprained his knee and will have an MRI.

Chris Harry @GatorsChris said:
Keith Stone has a right knee sprain. MRI coming Sunday. Spoke to him. Smiling, in good spirits and happy his team won. #Gators

As one of the Gator MDs explained to me many years ago on a board, "A sprain is a stretched or torn ligament. "

Strains | Sprains | MedlinePlus

So it could be season ending or it could be much less based on that. I am sure the UF medical people have an opinion without the benefit of an MRI. That he was "smiling, in good spirits" is mildy encouraging to me.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Florida won 62-52. Great road win. Not great offense still. Struggled to score 60 points and replied on 10-27 behind the 3pt line. Stone sprained his knee and is currently out indefinitely depending on the MRI

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I just saw on the chyron on ESPN that John Mooney scored 19 and grabbed 16 rebounds today for Noitre Dame in a close loss. That prompted me to look up his seasons stats. They are 13.7 points and 10.4 rebounds in 26.6 minutes per game with a PER of 30!

He probably would not have developed exactly the same had he followed through or his commitment had been honored at UF. Still UF could use a skilled big this year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Tough day for the mike white haters today!!!

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Agreed, especially after a win against a top...checks record of UGA....100 ranked team!

You White guys are hilarious. Nobody is mad about a win. Just want to see it more consistently and against better competition. I’d be thrilled if White proved me wrong and turned it around this season.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Didn’t watch a second today due to SQ’s birthday celebration, but glad to see we excelled down the stretch instead of withering. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY! It’s a sign of things to come.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed, especially after a win against a top...checks record of UGA....100 ranked team!

You White guys are hilarious. Nobody is mad about a win. Just want to see it more consistently and against better competition. I’d be thrilled if White proved me wrong and turned it around this season.
Calm down, jay. I'm sure they'll be plenty of losses to celebrate. You'll get your fix soon enough.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Didn’t watch a second today due to SQ’s birthday celebration, but glad to see we excelled down the stretch instead of withering. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY! It’s a sign of things to come.

Stop watching at all. You’re obviously bad luck

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hayes plays so hard; wish he could hit more of his shots. He deserves the reward of scoring in double figures.
Today we met a team worse than us and White coached us to victory.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I'm neither a hater or pumper, I criticize when I think it's justified and and cheer like a crazy man every game, if it's orange and blue I'm all in. White is a young coach stepping up to a different level of basketball and is having growing pains on the job.I hope like he!! he succeeds and achieves great and dominating teams for UF and himself. The truth is we beat a very common ugay team (as usual ) but I think we can do better. I'm looking forward to being dominant in the SEC and always making deep runs in the NCAA tournament like we have done and should do.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
An SEC road win is always good to get. I cane away from this one looking at UGA and thinking, “Ok. We’re having struggles but we aren’t THAT bad.”

I liked the effort and resilience but there is a lot of potential yet to emerge.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Glad we won. Always a smug-sooth to beat UGa.

Guess I suffer hyperage when I watch our inabilities maintained threw-out a game, threw-out the season.??
**With "pound-it-in-coaching" practice after practice, I think Hayes could be a double-figure scorer. By now, via coaching insistence, certain sets of play executions should be breaking down opposing teams. Most missed 3s by Locke or Allen are automatic misses due to not squaring up, due to rushing with inadequate 'calm'. When too many at-the-rim opportunities repeatedly aren't given enough "umph" or clang roll off, then those events are not being "pounded home" in rehearsals, in practices, practices. {late in the game they do often play like their legs are too tired?}

**From pre-season, coaching-wise, White & his "coach-crew" should have been all in on developing the inside game = "forcing" all 6'8",6'9" bigs to drub-thump the ball off the backboard as first choice, or pinch-plunge it down the rim's gullet, 2nd choice. {of course that involves teaching, re-minding them how to fiercely grip the ball such that only a foul could dislodge it.} Basketball is a "hands-on" project that every practice must project. Suffuse your charges such that tip-off lights that fuse.

We're good on defense because our opponent forces our action/thoughts. Only insistent incessant practice forces up our thought/actions for offensive attack; that attack is lacking, slacking when all stand around that arc-line, stalled, where lazy passing is invited and high-bounce dribbling and stationary Gators allows defenders to "lock-in" their readiness. Is that generated & maintained by lax practice coaching??

Ultimately, good teams are made in good practices. In successful practices, the coaching hammers in detailed executions repeated unto 85% success-rate. Players leave practices feeling upbeat, charged for higher performances, feeling better coordinated in teamwork = confidence inculcated. Then, fans see the consistency played out on the court. For every good basketball coach, it's all a methodical process that no solid HC is confused over. ??

To blame your players is to admit to yourself that you cannot coach them up. What mindset does that public blame instill into your players' haunting thoughts. I'm fine with White, if he himself improves.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The next four games are:

aTm
@TCU
UMiss
UK

The least UF can get by with is 3-1 in that stretch. Anything worse and this season will slip away as the next two are:

@AU
@UTn

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The next four games are:

aTm
@TCU
UMiss
UK

The least UF can get by with is 3-1 in that stretch. Anything worse and this season will slip away as the next two are:

@AU
@UTn
The season has already slipped away, just like all those games we let slip away in the final minutes. This team just doesn't have it. White started three freshmen on the road yesterday; that says a lot to me about how he's looking more toward the future. I liked that he did that. The one thing I give this team credit for is that they are in just about every game with a chance to win it, thanks mainly to their good defense. But no way we go 3-1 over the next four; 2-4 over the next 6 is probably more realistic, and we could easily go 1-5. Hope they prove me wrong.
I looked at the remaining schedule yesterday and saw 5 more wins for us over the next 14 games. That puts us at 15-16 going into the SEC tourney. I'll be surprised if our record is anything better than that - would mean our shots started falling. IMO, we'll be playing to win a couple in the SEC tourney just to get an NIT invite. :sadnanner:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb