Gator Basketball Gators beat up on Miami, 78-58

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Only got to watch the 2nd half, but loved what I saw. Glad to see Lewis getting more involved in the offense, he's going to be a spark plug for us if we don't leave him to rot in the corner of the court on offense all year. Hoping this carries over to Sunday and beyond.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Must have been a good game. Could not watch. Just came on to get score. Dealing with family medical situation. So might be AWOL for a while. Hope for another one next game whoever they play

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That explains why you changed the title to read that the Gators managed "to slip by Miami". Other than a couple of cooler shooting streaks, the Gators put together a solid offensive and defensive performance in a game that more closely resembled team play that a bunch of individuals on the court together. They soundly beat the point spread, had 4 guys in double figures, including 2 freshmen, had season-highs in a lot of categories, and got a lot of points from the bigs.
So our Gators, the #6 preseason team in the country, beat a subpar, unranked team. Do I have this right?

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Must have been a good game. Could not watch. Just came on to get score. Dealing with family medical situation. So might be AWOL for a while. Hope for another one next game whoever they play
Thoughts are with you regarding the family medical situation. Hope all is well!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So our Gators, the #6 preseason team in the country, beat a subpar, unranked team. Do I have this right?

You would be correct.

I think we are all giddy today because the team actually looked like a team with some potential for the future regardless of the weak opponent.
I would really like to see the team that played today get UConn on Sunday to see if this was a fluke or a trend.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I’d rather play Xavier. They are usually a tourney team. So, playing them would be a good measuring stick. If we win, it pads the resume.

SC Gator

Sorta Kinda
Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Just got back and again, the Gator fans were out in force. Beacuse I was not districted by a flapping bird, got to watch the game closer.

Game really was not close. They pulled close at one point when we had gone to the bench and Canes got lots of calls, but you can see this young team coming together and getting to know each other a little better.

Blackshear did a great job of not fouling. There were a couple of time you could see him going for a loose ball or a block but pulling back instead of picking up a bad foul. Good to see.

Much more cutting and moving around. Nice in game changes also helped when White kept switching who was bring ball up the court. Miami had that little guy who was disruptive on the point so when Miami went man, we switched up. I think Mike White can coach, I just think he elects not to at times and that is not good coaching.

Again, Scottie in corner but he moved around more and when he got the ball good things happned. When he drives and shoots it takes two to defend him and thus we got Offensive rebounds and had some putbacks.

Again we shot the three well and made FT which was a problem yesterday. But how we got the threes was improtant: ball movement. Defensivly, this is a very good team. We have length and change shots.

These preseason tournamnets are great. Met Scott Strickland, Mick Hubert and took photos with team as they were getting on the bus. Everyone is loose and walking around. Now onto Sunday night. Would be nice to win this thing and restart the season so to speak.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
While I rag on you frequently, its nothing personal. Hope all is turns out well.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017

You’re a fairly smart guy with an above average IQ. You know that preseason rankings mean absolutely nothing, especially when 60% of the starters never wore a Gator uniform, and the other 40% are sophomores with 1 season each under their belt.

to have expected them to be even close to mid season form was completely unrealistic. If they keep improving like I believe they can, they’ll be back in the top 10 near the beginning of January. In basketball, more than almost any other sport, it’s not how you start, but how you finish.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Thoughts are with you regarding the family medical situation. Hope all is well!

Sad to hear about the family medical situation. Sending prayers for you and your family.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You’re a fairly smart guy with an above average IQ. You know that preseason rankings mean absolutely nothing, especially when 60% of the starters never wore a Gator uniform, and the other 40% are sophomores with 1 season each under their belt.

to have expected them to be even close to mid season form was completely unrealistic. If they keep improving like I believe they can, they’ll be back in the top 10 near the beginning of January. In basketball, more than almost any other sport, it’s not how you start, but how you finish.
There was zero excuse for UF to have lost a single game so far this season. ZERO.

Mike White is what he is. We all know how this season will end.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Just got back and again, the Gator fans were out in force. Beacuse I was not districted by a flapping bird, got to watch the game closer.

Game really was not close. They pulled close at one point when we had gone to the bench and Canes got lots of calls, but you can see this young team coming together and getting to know each other a little better.

Blackshear did a great job of not fouling. There were a couple of time you could see him going for a loose ball or a block but pulling back instead of picking up a bad foul. Good to see.

Much more cutting and moving around. Nice in game changes also helped when White kept switching who was bring ball up the court. Miami had that little guy who was disruptive on the point so when Miami went man, we switched up. I think Mike White can coach, I just think he elects not to at times and that is not good coaching.

Again, Scottie in corner but he moved around more and when he got the ball good things happned. When he drives and shoots it takes two to defend him and thus we got Offensive rebounds and had some putbacks.

Again we shot the three well and made FT which was a problem yesterday. But how we got the threes was improtant: ball movement. Defensivly, this is a very good team. We have length and change shots.

These preseason tournamnets are great. Met Scott Strickland, Mick Hubert and took photos with team as they were getting on the bus. Everyone is loose and walking around. Now onto Sunday night. Would be nice to win this thing and restart the season so to speak.
Looked like a good game to watch in person. Not too much drama , lot of Gator fans. Plus 10-19 from 3 point land will get us well quick, and create space for KJ and crew down low. Always good to beat the Canes. Need to stay hot Sunday.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016

Happy thoughts towards you and your family. Hang in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb