Gator Basketball Gators beat Vandy, 71-55

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Started playing different and that produced wins. This is a fascinating confusion of players. Nembhard too young to be that good. K.Johnson being a "big-man" at 6'5". Hudson so lost and found. Allen waiting half a game before tearing it up. Stokes starting anew after losing 59 lbs. Now, just now we, may start using Hayes to score.

Still, we have upcoming foes that we must battle with inside, not revert to believing too much in the 3 shot.
Be great to see Nembharddd, Hudson, Locke, and Allen driving, gathering fouls or dishing off for inside scores.
Most crucial: we have to pass better going forward.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who lets a D1 player shoot with such bad form at the FT line.
Um, Joakim Noah? :lol:
As a professional, let alone a D1 player.
worstFTever2.0.gif

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
at least his feet were decent. And he had some sort of follow through. I just saw that he and Al were 3rd and 4th all time with blocked shots at UF and Kevarius is 2nd behind Schintzus..........Al and Joakim almost had the same amount.
The worst shot at UF by a big player was Vernon Delancy. He had a two hand jump shot. It was bizarre. Nembhards shot is a little odd but it he is accurate with it. Shoots like a little kid not strong enough to shoot above his head.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know some on this board are not too high on Ballard and seem to want him to transfer but he is the kind of role player we will miss next year when 2 of our best guards are gone.
The problem is lewis and mann are gonna take Hudson and Allen's minutes next year. He's just so limited offensively and he's very turnover prone.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
at least his feet were decent. And he had some sort of follow through. I just saw that he and Al were 3rd and 4th all time with blocked shots at UF and Kevarius is 2nd behind Schintzus..........Al and Joakim almost had the same amount.
The worst shot at UF by a big player was Vernon Delancy. He had a two hand jump shot. It was bizarre. Nembhards shot is a little odd but it he is accurate with it. Shoots like a little kid not strong enough to shoot above his head.
Yeah, like a little kid or a very old person.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Yeah, like a little kid or a very old person.
Earlier in the year his shots were rimming out and so close to going in. I think it hurt his confidence. I knew it would come around. He never seemed to be way off like Hud and Allen. I see great things for that kid while he is here.......I hope he stays awhile.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Earlier in the year his shots were rimming out and so close to going in. I think it hurt his confidence. I knew it would come around. He never seemed to be way off like Hud and Allen. I see great things for that kid while he is here.......I hope he stays awhile.
I was just commenting sadly on what it means to grow old. Not disputing your conclusions at all. Love Nembhard. In fact, did we recruit a hot shot PG for next year? How does that work?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Rembrandt is vital cog already. Few freshman are given full control like White entrusted him with. He will improve very nicely. The growth of such young guys getting so much intense playing time i.e. time when the game is being contested, this will really pay off next year. White recruited good last year with Nembhard, Locke, and KJ. This next season he's recruited better. Wow.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
No Deandre Ballard again tonight.

Anybody know if something is going on with him?
I can't remember the last game that he didn't come in and immediately make a terrible pass for a turnover, a bad foul, or completely blow a defensive assignment. I think the main issue is he just isn't good enough to warrant playing time.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was just commenting sadly on what it means to grow old. Not disputing your conclusions at all. Love Nembhard. In fact, did we recruit a hot shot PG for next year? How does that work?

Tre Mann - 5*PG and hometown kid.
He’s the same size and has a better shot than Nemby and drives to the rim more frequently, but likely isn’t looking to distribute like Nemby does. Nemby’s more of a controlled pace PG where Mann might be one to push the pace a little more.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
He’s the same size and has a better shot than Nemby and drives to the rim more frequently, but likely isn’t looking to distribute like Nemby does. Nemby’s more of a controlled pace PG where Mann might be one to push the pace a little more.
Thanks. You think that they will split PT?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
So Mann becomes the shooting guard. Sounds like a winner

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The problem is lewis and mann are gonna take Hdson and Allen's minutes next year. He's just so limited offensively and he's very turnover prone.

Well this year:

2018-19 Florida Gators Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

The ranking of UF players by TO% from worst to best is:

1. Nembhard (usually the guy that handles the ball all the time is way up there in this.
2. Okauru
3. Hayes (Next come bigs who get the ball in traffic often)
4. Stokes
5. Stone
6. Bassett
7. Johnson
8. Ballard 14.7%
9. Allen 14.5%
10. Hudson
11. Locke (catch and shoot guys don't have many turnovers)

So Ballard is not particularly TO prone.

The ranking of UF players by effective shooting percentage that weights shot by point value from best to worst is:

1. Hayes
2. Locke
3. Johnson
4. Nembhard 50%
5. Ballard 50%
6. Allen 49.5%
7. Bassett
8. Stone
9. Stokes
10. Okauru
11. Hudson

So Ballard is also a pretty good effective shooter. He is making over 50% of his 2s and has greatly raised his percentage from the arc this year to a respectable 32.3%.

So why he is not playing much has little to do with being limited offensively or turnover prone. I suspect it is more that Hudson has come around and if Nembhard returns next year Ballard does not fit into the long run plans that much.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well this year:

2018-19 Florida Gators Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

The ranking of UF players by TO% from worst to best is:

1. Nembhard (usually the guy that handles the ball all the time is way up there in this.
2. Okauru
3. Hayes (Next come bigs who get the ball in traffic often)
4. Stokes
5. Stone
6. Bassett
7. Johnson
8. Ballard 14.7%
9. Allen 14.5%
10. Hudson
11. Locke (catch and shoot guys don't have many turnovers)

So Ballard is not particularly TO prone.

The ranking of UF players by effective shooting percentage that weights shot by point value from best to worst is:

1. Hayes
2. Locke
3. Johnson
4. Nembhard 50%
5. Ballard 50%
6. Allen 49.5%
7. Bassett
8. Stone
9. Stokes
10. Okauru
11. Hudson

So Ballard is also a pretty good effective shooter. He is making over 50% of his 2s and has greatly raised his percentage from the arc this year to a respectable 32.3%.

So why he is not playing much has little to do with being limited offensively or turnover prone. I suspect it is more that Hudson has come around and if Nembhard returns next year Ballard does not fit into the long run plans that much.

When Ballard gets the he plays like his hair is on fire. That's great when you're going for a rebound or a loose ball. Not so much when you're on the offensive end. I'm sure he makes the coaches nervous when he touches the ball. I know I cringe.

But to his skill set. He doesn't have a good handle or the ability to break guys down off the dribble. The only way he gets to the basket is if he's run off of his jump shot. He's a catch and shoot guy who's range is pretty much inside the 3 point line. So a guard that doesn't handle ball pressure and has tendency to shoot long 2's is what I'd call a liability on offense. I personally just don't think his skill set translates at this level.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Mann is a Trae Young/Steph Curry type of PG. More of a scorer from anywhere out to 40 feet than can pure passer. Mann can easily start at SG or come off the bench to provide an offensive spark.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
When Ballard gets the he plays like his hair is on fire. That's great when you're going for a rebound or a loose ball. Not so much when you're on the offensive end. I'm sure he makes the coaches nervous when he touches the ball. I know I cringe.

But to his skill set. He doesn't have a good handle or the ability to break guys down off the dribble. The only way he gets to the basket is if he's run off of his jump shot. He's a catch and shoot guy who's range is pretty much inside the 3 point line. So a guard that doesn't handle ball pressure and has tendency to shoot long 2's is what I'd call a liability on offense. I personally just don't think his skill set translates at this level.

1. I completely disagree that he plays like his hair is on fire. Last year he essentially never passed the ball. This year he plays much better in the offense.

2. He constantly penetrates for shots. That is his game so in fact he does break guys down on the dribble quite consistently.

3. He is certainly NOT a catch and shoot guy. I do not know where to find this data, but I would guess that Ballard catches and shoots a smaller percentage than any of UF's similar players, ie Johnson, Hudson, Allen, Locke, Okauru and Nembhard.

4. I agree he does have a tendency to shoot long 2s which is a liability in today's game, but again clearly he raised his 3 percentage a huge amount this year.

5. His skill set certainly translates to this level and his style of play, ie penetrating offense, is what has turned around this season, just not by him.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
So man becomes the shooting guard. Sounds like a winner
I doubt Mann takes Locke's job next year. Best guess is as follows:

PG Nembhard
SG Locke
SF Lewis
PF Johnson
C Payne

We can also go bigger at times with Johnson at the 3. Mann will probably be the first guard off the bench backing up both guard spots, and Lewis will also play a lot of 2. Stokes will be the first big off the bench, followed by Bassett. Hopefully Stone recovers for more front court depth, but I doubt he's ready by the beginning of the season.. I think Ballard is as good as gone, and maybe Okauru. I suspect we'll have room to go after at least one grad transfer

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mann is a Trae Young/Steph Curry type of PG. More of a scorer from anywhere out to 40 feet than can pure passer. Mann can easily start at SG or come off the bench to provide an offensive spark.
This is a good comparison. I mean, realistically I'm not gonna put those linda expectations on him. From the looks of his tape, hes probably a better athlete than both of those guys too.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I doubt Mann takes Locke's job next year. Best guess is as follows:

PG Nembhard
SG Locke
SF Lewis
PF Johnson
C Payne

We can also go bigger at times with Johnson at the 3. Mann will probably be the first guard off the bench backing up both guard spots, and Lewis will also play a lot of 2. Stokes will be the first big off the bench, followed by Bassett. Hopefully Stone recovers for more front court depth, but I doubt he's ready by the beginning of the season.. I think Ballard is as good as gone, and maybe Okauru. I suspect we'll have room to go after at least one grad transfer

That is the lineup I see if Nembhard does not declare. I could see Locke on the bench and Mann at the 2, but I prefer a shooter. Mann appear to me to be more of a combo guard than a PG, but we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.