Gator Basketball Gators blow late double-digit lead, lose to Kentucky at home

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You're oversimplifying Hayes percentage. Not included is the number of passes to the inside that Hayes doesn't get a handle on and fumbles the ball either out of bounds, or to a defender. Included in the percentage are at the rim put-backs that got to the rim by someone else taking a mid-range jumper. If left to Hayes to catch the ball down low and get the ball into the basket, the percentage is MUCH lower than 65%

Hayes' shooting percentage is very good. However, that doesn't take into account how many times he fumbles the ball, turns it over or throws it away without taking a shot. An

Well if we're going to include the gossamer non-stats saying that Hayes fumbles the ball so, so many times, we should also include the number of times Hayes is in good scoring position but he's not thrown the pass.

We've all watched this team's too many losses, where they played so haphazardly that we knew they were going to get beat. We've also seen some of our wins where we played haphazardly enough that the win was within the opposing team's reach. What we do that determines the game's outcome takes place at the 3-pt arc, in adoration for those 35% shots. That is our coached-in doctrine and it lets slide so many basic skills undeveloped.

This UF team needs betterment. Do you think a top-notch coach should reach for that improvement by insisting on better percentages on 3-pt shooting or betterment by practicing to activate an inside game? I'm not calling for White to be fired. I am calling for White to coach better, to be a coach that "teaches out" his team's flaws, weaknesses. Teaches this group to function better together. Just note while watching the style opposing coaches are using advantageously against us. Which team looks better coached? We have a superior high-ranked defense and we cannot keep pace with opponent's scoring?

Last edited:

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Defense...and only defense. They lost because of offense and only offense. Meaning we are a ****y version of Virginia...which is complete garbage basketball and I'd rather blow it up and fire White and start over then keep watching it imo
Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. WE ain't close to being any version of Virginia and they do run an offense that works to get the best shot off. I'm not sure what we are doing on offense but it ain't Virginia . Look at what FSU did to us and then see what UVa did to them.

Bottomline is this. White is out of his league and this league's coaching staff in general is getting better. Auburn, UK, UT, LSU, All better at recruiting and coaching them up.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. WE ain't close to being any version of Virginia and they do run an offense that works to get the best shot off. I'm not sure what we are doing on offense but it ain't Virginia . Look at what FSU did to us and then see what UVa did to them.

Bottomline is this. White is out of his league and this league's coaching staff in general is getting better. Auburn, UK, UT, LSU, All better at recruiting and coaching them up.
White has a top 5 recruiting class next season,so I wouldn't say they are better at that. Took White 4 years to get a great class though

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Next year partner. Mac had absolutely nothing going for him and never gave any reason to think that he ever would.
mac had some amazing recruiting class coming in as well. Let's not play revisionists history to justify garbage coaching. There was enough of that under mac and chump.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
2 pages of tay dump dumping on the players and defending white, I'm shocked.

How many years has white been here? Who's job is it to get players capable of competing? Who's job is it to teach those players how to play team basketball? Who's job is it to develop an offensive identity and teach the kids to play within that concept?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the definition of coach is Teacher. If so, White doesn't seem to be a good Teacher. The results seem to indicate little in the way of betterment , "Rog term". The fact that we are bringing up Muschump and Butters in the same conversation, is very disturbing and telling!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's no different than football. You ask yourself, what's the trend line? Are we getting better? When the answers are worse and no, you have a problem.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

How many years has white been here? Who's job is it to get players capable of competing? Who's job is it to teach those players how to play team basketball? Who's job is it to develop an offensive identity and teach the kids to play within that concept?

Obvious answer is the players. Gotta be self taught bro

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
All things being equal, losing to UK at home would not be a bad loss, but a disappointing one at that. But given how the game transpired, how it was just sitting there for us to take, I have to consider it a bad loss. This is a good KY team but not great. They do not score easily and in my opinion have less than 5 NBA talent guys right now, which is fewer than normal for them. However it is still more than we have right now ( 1 by my eyes), but still Ky struggled to score b/c they are offensively challenged and b/c UF really played good defense, especially in the post even tho we were undersized. Should have closed them out easily, but failing to do so may haunt them for a while.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Nothing to see here. In games where they win they usually hold on for dear life. On games where they lose they blow leads. Its this team's identity at this point. They are mentally soft and I dont see it changing this year.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
All things being equal, losing to UK at home would not be a bad loss, but a disappointing one at that. But given how the game transpired, how it was just sitting there for us to take, I have to consider it a bad loss. This is a good KY team but not great. They do not score easily and in my opinion have less than 5 NBA talent guys right now, which is fewer than normal for them. However it is still more than we have right now ( 1 by my eyes), but still Ky struggled to score b/c they are offensively challenged and b/c UF really played good defense, especially in the post even tho we were undersized. Should have closed them out easily, but failing to do so may haunt them for a while.

Disagree. It’s a forty minute game. It simply took the coaching-dumb Calipari 30 minutes to realize he just needed to pound UF inside offensively and guard the three point line defensively. Everything fell into place after his epiphany.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

Care to address the crap recruiting classes coming to fruition in present day?

IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1637.JPG

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Four years. His recruiting sucked for three years. He is paying the price this season. Can’t wait to see what he can do with last years and the incoming classes.
ill give you a like for that. as its essentially an admission that he 100% owns this mess. While you think he's gonna turn a corner and I think he hasnt learned a damned thing, at least we all can agree now that its his pile of flaming :kiffin:

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
ill give you a like for that. as its essentially an admission that he 100% owns this mess. While you think he's gonna turn a corner and I think he hasnt learned a damned thing, at least we all can agree now that its his pile of flaming :kiffin:

When have we ever disagreed that the captain owns the ship?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
mac had some amazing recruiting class coming in as well. Let's not play revisionists history to justify garbage coaching. There was enough of that under mac and chump.
They weren't signed under mac. White has been no where near as bad as those 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator