Gator Basketball Gators blow one to LSU; NIT bound?

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
Curious how many offensive rebounds LSU had off their three-point misses... it had to be at least 4 or 5. When we miss a three-pointer, we have four guys back across half court on defense before the ball clangs off the rim.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I think we lose Baylor, both Kentucky games, a game vs UGA, and LSU. Team goes to the nit

I see us losing to Baylor, Split with UK and UGly, and a loss to tinerc. That puts us at 10 losses. I'll throw in another loss to someone we shouldn't lose to because that is the White way.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Out rebounded 38-28; 15-8 offensive
Killed us with points in the paint 50-32 and points from turnovers, 19-9.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Lewis, despite elite athleticism and tremendous speed and quickness, rarely if ever slashes to the basket and almost never takes anyone off the dribble to the rack. On the rare occasion when he drives he almost always has a bad angle and penetrates too deep much like the late turnover where he slid out of bounds. He is starting to get more comfortable with his outside shot which will help open lanes for him.

Payne is getting more effective every game and starting to spread his wings. Very encouraging.

Mann simply cannot get untracked. Glover is wildly inconsistent but is definitely going to be a solid contributor for the next 3 years.

This team misses more open looks at all 3 levels than any in recent memory. A key juncture in this game happened when we were up 22-15. We were playing great defense and had an opportunity to really expand the lead but repeatedly missed wide open looks.

This team will make the dance but as a lower seed which will make the road forward very difficult.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
One game does not decide our fate, but when you get say 11 stops in a row you must increase your lead by at least 10 points and probably more. We did not do that, and as indicated miss too many open shots. I bet Payne is not playing against what coach wants, if so the bench would be his place.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I think White tries to make the game more complicated than it should be. Overcoaching is not ideal. That being said, they did not give up like some others may have.

Go Gators, shock the nation and beat Baylor.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When we miss a three-pointer, we have four guys back across half court on defense before the ball clangs off the rim.
This is simply false. What you're actually seeing is the 3 point attempt being made before any of the other four players has a chance to get into the offensive end of the court.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The thing is...do we even want them to barely make the dance and get booted in the first round or the second? Or even sweet 16. Knowing our AD, theres no a chance of white being fired if we make the dance. I started on thw white bandwagon. But this is such an egregious waste of talent...

Unfortunately this is exactly what is going to happen
White will win enough to make the tournament each year and exit the first weekend.
All the people in power and the other slurpers will tell us that we have a successful program with no need for a change.
It is as if Billy Donovan never coached at UF and we never won any trophies.

How is it that being at the top in football at one point translates into anything less being inadequate but watching a once great basketball program fall to "pretty good" is acceptable?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One game does not decide our fate, but when you get say 11 stops in a row you must increase your lead by at least 10 points and probably more. We did not do that, and as indicated miss too many open shots. I bet Payne is not playing against what coach wants, if so the bench would be his place.

Great point Chief.
This team does not value possessions like they should. It's as if they think they can take chances when they get a small lead versus understanding how important each possession is especially when you start to pull away.

I think they call it a killer instinct which is difficult to instill in a team with such a soft coach.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Unfortunately this is exactly what is going to happen
White will win enough to make the tournament each year and exit the first weekend.
All the people in power and the other slurpers will tell us that we have a successful program with no need for a change.
It is as if Billy Donovan never coached at UF and we never won any trophies.

How is it that being at the top in football at one point translates into anything less being inadequate but watching a once great basketball program fall to "pretty good" is acceptable?

Have we been exiting first weekend under White?

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
I saw someone posed the question is it better to lose in first or second round of NCAA tourney, or not be selected at all? Both suck, but not making it in sucks far worse.

Some people claim the NIT provides a chance for a team on the bubble to gel and practice more if they can make a deep run. That’s what the ****ing regular season and conference tournament are for, but maybe it’s the silver lining on the loser cloud. Then again, maybe it’s not.

If I was a player, I would not GAF about the NIT. I’d play drunk because it would be like getting setup with an extremely unattractive woman, like Rosie ODonnell, for example. Wishing against making the real tourney, the one that is like dating Erin Andrews, is a loser mentality. I’d rather be set up with NCAA Erin and have her laugh at me upon first site and then talk incessantly about what good friends we could be, than spend a week in the warm embrace of Ms. NIT’O’Donnell. Enjoy your dinner.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is simply false. What you're actually seeing is the 3 point attempt being made before any of the other four players has a chance to get into the offensive end of the court.

Precisely Zambo -- the coach needs to pound in certain concepts as crucial to becoming a good team. This would be the coach helping these youngsters to develop ... to not unnecessarily lose. Also, when a coach sees that having his big men (Payne) jump way out to meet any opposing player, there develops a EZ lob to a gap that allowed far too many lobs for one-foot layups. Again & again LSU feasted on that flaw, but no adjustment was made. No emphasis on Payne or Johnson collapsing inward to thwart that really easy high % score.

Does White have tall guys playing "little-guard" defense -- out & about?

;;

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I think White tries to make the game more complicated than it should be. Overcoaching is not ideal. That being said, they did not give up like some others may have.

Go Gators, shock the nation and beat Baylor.

I agree with this regarding Mike. He is not a good coach and it shows b/c this team has as much talent as any team in the country and is his most talented team since he has been at UF. I am not saying they are the best team in the country but there is plenty of talent to beat anyone on the schedule without it being an anomaly. They can beat Baylor. Baylor is good but they have flaws, as it they have trouble scoring for long stretches, which has been their issue for years. But they are rugged and play a lot like a couple of those guys that play for LSU. They are not opposed to physical play which I think is sometimes one of our weaknesses.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I saw a picture on FB today of the backboard light going off with .2 on the game clock over to the side. How is that possible.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
That was my thought on FB but I have the recording and it was coming over SEC network in real time. In fact that was why I went back and watched it. You can clearly see both in slo mo.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Which is it? Do we play too slow and force 3’s as clock winds down....or do we consistently jack threes in transition before the rest of our team gets in place?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Which is it? Do we play too slow and force 3’s as clock winds down....or do we consistently jack threes in transition before the rest of our team gets in place?
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.