Gators bow out in the 2nd round....next year will be a Championship!

NCAAT 2nd Round Result?

• Win by 1-9

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Win by 10+

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Lose by 1-9

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Lose by 10+

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1. I agree Hudson will not be back and I think should not be back as I think he will be drafted.

2. The only reason I have Okauru at SG is that a guy on another site says the staff sees him more as a SG. I can also imagine that in recruiting Nembhard UF promised Allen would play and he would get minutes and maybe start the first year and then have the job after that. That covers their bases. Then going forward UF would have two good ball handling guards in Nembhard and Okauru and could mix in whatever guards play the best.

3. I see it more as Allen, Nembhard and Okauru rotation filling the 80 minutes at the 1 and the 2, some mixture of Hudson, Ballard and K. Johnson at the 3 and maybe some Stone. Bassett, C. Johnson, Hayes, Gak and Stokes using up the 80 minutes at the 4/5.

4. I prefer this starting lineup:

PG: Allen until or unless Nembhard shows he is ready.
SG: Okauru presuming Hudson is gone
SF: Stone
PF: Bassett
G: Hayes or Gak

5. I prefer this kind of rotation:

Guard: Allen, Nembhard, Okauru
SF: Stone, Ballard

An 8 or at most 9 man rotation is best late in the season.

Stokes? If this kid can play Gak is going to lose some PT. Actually Gak could transfer and I’d be okay with that.
C. Johnson is more of a stretch 4 than a post up player. He weighs 205. Move Chase to SF.
Locke is going to get his PT and we might find he’s pretty good to be leaving out of the rotation at years end.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You're probably right on the money here.Except I don't see Hudson returning. I love Kevaughn, but he's just not a point guard. Depending on which freshmen is more ready to start I see the lineup going something line this. Okauru- Allen- K Johnson- Stone & Hayes or Nembhart , Allen , Okauru in a 3 guard lineup with Stone & Hayes. With Bassett, Gak, C Johnson and Locke coming of the bench. Ballard needs to grow up in a hurry. Otherwise he won't be getting many minutes. White seems to like big guys that can run the floor, so Stokes will need to get in great shape over the off season to crack the rotation.

I agree that Allen is not at PG... at least he hasn't shown the ability to be a PG. He took over PG duties when Chiozza was out and you could tell he had no idea how to distribute and run the offense.

I actually put this one on White.. he didn't have anybody prepared to be a backup PG. Okauru is the only one who is even close and even he did not show the ability to really run the team. I don't see Hudson returning either, but I'd love to be surprised.

I am hoping that Okauru feels the pressure from the freshman and really puts in work learning how to run the offense and improving his defense.

Next year will be really interesting. I am interested to see what Gak can do when healthy and what Johnson can contribute.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Okauru really showed some nice flashes this season. He can shoot and drive to the hoop, but if Nembhard is legit I would start him and keep Allen at the SG with Okauru backup to Allen. Then you can rotate Allen and/or Okauru at PG when Nembhard sits.

Ballard is the big question for me. Can he make major improvements this offseason to play 15-20 minutes a game, or is Locke good enough to take those minutes.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Remember, Okauru was a super-cautious freshman. Next year maybe boldness will spark his abilities? Maybe White can bring in a big-size coach to teach our big-men how to be a force without foul troubles. Getting a few fouls to show 'em you're impenetrable is ok with me. We need an inside-out more balanced game style.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Stokes? If this kid can play Gak is going to lose some PT. Actually Gak could transfer and I’d be okay with that.
C. Johnson is more of a stretch 4 than a post up player. He weighs 205. Move Chase to SF.
Locke is going to get his PT and we might find he’s pretty good to be leaving out of the rotation at years end.

1. I agree Stokes is a great imponderable. If he can become a player like his brother that would certainly beef up UF in the post.

2. I would love a Stone, C.Johnson rotation at the 3. That is how I see them. I think that is NOT how Mike White sees them or his roster.

3. Locke was listed at 160 lbs. at the site I checked, but now I see UF listed him at 6'3" 205 in the signing press release. So maybe he will play this year. White appears to like to redshirt at least one frosh per year, but it is not clear who that might be this year. Locke was one of the best shooters in the EYBL making 49.5% from the arc on 107 attempts. He will need to adjust to shooting a bit further from the basket.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
1. I agree Stokes is a great imponderable. If he can become a player like his brother that would certainly beef up UF in the post.

2. I would love a Stone, C.Johnson rotation at the 3. That is how I see them. I think that is NOT how Mike White sees them or his roster.

3. Locke was listed at 160 lbs. at the site I checked, but now I see UF listed him at 6'3" 205 in the signing press release. So maybe he will play this year. White appears to like to redshirt at least one frosh per year, but it is not clear who that might be this year. Locke was one of the best shooters in the EYBL making 49.5% from the arc on 107 attempts. He will need to adjust to shooting a bit further from the basket.
If true about Locke that could change his playing time. That would be quite the weight gain so hopefully it is a good weight gain.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If true about Locke that could change his playing time. That would be quite the weight gain so hopefully it is a good weight gain.

Well someone might have gotten is weight in 8th or 9th grade when he first came on recruiting radar and never changed it at whatever recruiting site I was looking at. So it could be him naturally filling out.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Well someone might have gotten is weight in 8th or 9th grade when he first came on recruiting radar and never changed it at whatever recruiting site I was looking at. So it could be him naturally filling out.
ESPN has him listed at 197. That would be a nice size 2 guard...and he could still be growing taller.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
ESPN has him listed at 197. That would be a nice size 2 guard...and he could still be growing taller.

I was surprised to see UF list him at 6'3" as all the sites had him at 6'2" and usually players are shorter than what they tell the recruiting sites. So I suspect he has grown in the last year and yes he could still be growing.

Here he is next to Nembhard who UF says is 6'4" tall:

image_handler.aspx

So I would guess maybe Locke is 6'2.5 inches and UF as usual rounded up. There appears to be about an inch and a half or so difference to me.

Here is UF's press release on them signing:

http://floridagators.com/news/2017/...cke-and-nembhard-ink-nlis-to-join-gators.aspx

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I was surprised to see UF list him at 6'3" as all the sites had him at 6'2" and usually players are shorter than what they tell the recruiting sites. So I suspect he has grown in the last year and yes he could still be growing.

Here he is next to Nembhard who UF says is 6'4" tall:

image_handler.aspx

So I would guess maybe Locke is 6'2.5 inches and UF as usual rounded up. There appears to be about an inch and a half or so difference to me.
The next great back court duo :grin:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with ya except i don't think c.johnson can play the 3. I don't think he can guard that spot and i don't think he has the driving ability to play the 3 in our system. I see him as a stretch 4 kinda in the mold of Justin Leon.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Okauru really showed some nice flashes this season. He can shoot and drive to the hoop, but if Nembhard is legit I would start him and keep Allen at the SG with Okauru backup to Allen. Then you can rotate Allen and/or Okauru at PG when Nembhard sits.

Ballard is the big question for me. Can he make major improvements this offseason to play 15-20 minutes a game, or is Locke good enough to take those minutes.
I don't think white trusted okauru enough to play much pg this year. I'm hoping that we'll find he's capable of giving us some minutes there. I also hope/think that locke will be able to come in and play right away aswell.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Losers complain about the officials. SOS complained about them so Diehard is comparing himself to SOS. :what: you just called SOS a loser..............unless there is some kind of new logic or grammar we have not heard about.............
Somewhere in there someone is making a distinction between fans and coaches (not sure about players, support staff, cheerleaders, mascots). Whether it’s important is what is at issue.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Losers complain about the officials. SOS complained about them so Diehard is comparing himself to SOS. :what: you just called SOS a loser..............unless there is some kind of new logic or grammar we have not heard about.............

Uh, no. You and “actual” coaches are not the same....GTFO.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Me? I’m not the one still crying about the officiating after several days Ethel.

Well from where I’m sitting, you look a bit wound up over what seems to be a rather stupid topic as you become more insulting. Or is “GTFO” the new verbal fist bump? Maybe you should ask Bart for advice about relaxation techniques.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Well from where I’m sitting, you look a bit wound up over what seems to be a rather stupid topic as you become more insulting. Or is “GTFO” the new verbal fist bump? Maybe you should ask Bart for advice about relaxation techniques.

And this matters to you why? I’m not sure you had or have anything to do with it....maybe you should find another hobby rather than playing nurse maid to a couple of supposed grown men?

Last edited:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
That kid from Kentucky has been great as a freshman (Gilgous-Alexander) and was originally committed to Florida before Caliperi got involved. If Nembhart is as good as advertised, there's no reason he can't start at PG.
Nemhard looks great and has the skills, but is going to need help, especially the first half of the season when the learning curve is steep, adjusting to the competition of bigtime college ball. The UK kid started slow but is their best player now that he has a full season under his belt.

I didn't see anything from Okauru that made me think he is starting SEC PG material. But he looks like he could be a very good scoring 2 and also carry some of the pg duties. I see Allen helping a lot with the pg duties, especially early in the season while Nembhard is adapting to the game.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I agree that Allen is not at PG... at least he hasn't shown the ability to be a PG. He took over PG duties when Chiozza was out and you could tell he had no idea how to distribute and run the offense.

I actually put this one on White.. he didn't have anybody prepared to be a backup PG. Okauru is the only one who is even close and even he did not show the ability to really run the team. I don't see Hudson returning either, but I'd love to be surprised.

I am hoping that Okauru feels the pressure from the freshman and really puts in work learning how to run the offense and improving his defense.

Next year will be really interesting. I am interested to see what Gak can do when healthy and what Johnson can contribute.

Didn't Allen have like 7 assists and make some very impressive passes in the critical UK win? I actually remember thinking "damn, I didn't know he was this good of a distributor" during that game. I think he is capable, especially with an off season to work on that part of his game. Probably his only shot at the NBA too, so it would be in his interest to continue to develop that aspect of his game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.