Gator Basketball Gators crushed flat by crappy Missouri, 91-75

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Watched the first 5 minutes and decided to start season 7 of Ray Donovan instead...my best decision of the day. Can’t imagine I’ll tune in again this season.

I remember last season I was on the fire mike white bandwagon and everyone here said we had to keep him because of the recruiting class we had coming in I said it before I’ll say it again...what must be done eventually needs to be done now

Funny, I don't remember that...... at all.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You take a year off from the board last year? Or is my sarcasm meter broken?

So you said "keep him" also?

I know I didn't but I said his contract would keep him.

My problem is Dude made another absolute statement, like he is the only one who saw the problem. I remember everyone who is complaining this year, complained last year. Almost everyone recognized White's short-comings years ago. The only change is that the uptick in talent makes his flaws more noticeable. Fck White and his amateur hour!

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Idk, I'm ambivalent on White and certainly can get behind his firing. My layman's observation, I actually see and attempt at offense sets and movement. What I dont see is toughness. In the sec games I have seen, they really seem to be bothered by physical defense, hand checks etc. They seem like a bunch of prima donas

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
Watched the first 5 minutes and decided to start season 7 of Ray Donovan instead...my best decision of the day. Can’t imagine I’ll tune in again this season.

I remember last season I was on the fire mike white bandwagon and everyone here said we had to keep him because of the recruiting class we had coming in I said it before I’ll say it again...what must be done eventually needs to be done now

I don’t know about “everyone,” but that was the dominant pumper reasoning at the time. Pretty much everyone over at swampfart not only made that argument but would get triggered by anyone saying anything that contradicted it, but there’s always been free range critics on this board imo.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Tom Izzo is in the top five of college bb coaches as far as pure coaching goes. Just saw Purdue destroy his team by 29 points. Reminded me of our game.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
What I dont see is toughness. In the sec games I have seen, they really seem to be bothered by physical defense, hand checks etc. They seem like a bunch of prima donas

Been a problem for 3 straight seasons. All the players moving in and out during that time, are they all soft? Or, is it the coaching? I could understand one team being soft. But 3 seasons in a row?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t know about “everyone,” but that was the dominant pumper reasoning at the time. Pretty much everyone over at swampfart not only made that argument but would get triggered by anyone saying anything that contradicted it, but there’s always been free range critics on this board imo.

Every White apologist...which were probably the same who defended chump and butters endlessly

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also White is connected, part of the insider elite athletic administration crowd.

I agree completely.
White got this job because of the connections of his father and the pressure applied by "others" out there

Getting rid of him will be very difficult unless, as I mentioned, the big money guys decide that they have had enough.

As I have also said, I don't believe that a change is even possible for at least another year.

Chances are the team will win enough games to sneak into the tournament and the AD will try and convince us that the program is heading in the right direction...............

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure about that. He fired Butters after giving him an extension.

I think the only reason he would keep him around is because he likes him. I don’t think the extension has anything to do with it.

You may be right but these decisions are much different for football than any other sport for obvious reasons.
Besides Donk thinks the White buyout will financially cripple the athletic department by taking money away from football

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So what we have is Ron Zook II. He can recruit but he can't coach. What we need is a good bball/frat fight and we can move on to another coach with a loaded team.

Unless they all transfer out.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
IDK but White don't know either, for $4-million. How dispiriting is this if the players recognize that their head coach doesn't know and thus has no answers?= we have no bball team. White passively watches with an "oh phooey" look on his face. "wa wa wa!

4 minutes into that Mizery game White should have told his team to take one step back in guarding the ball handler. That way would diminish those drive-around zooms to the basket since our players could step into their path to the basket. Nobody could block those 3s last night. White sat-sat within his usual oblivion = no adjustment, no coached strategy. IMO, White passes his own self-doubts on to his players. Nobody has any determination to conquer any obstacle. ?? Can any see us holding our own against the upcoming SEC foes? Our young players are not developing.

Those of us that come back to watch must be like in the battered-wife syndrome -- wish we could report White to the cops.

Finally, please someone analyze the field of available HCs. How many would handle these excellent athletes better than White? I'd love to see an "in the know" post a list with potential coaching signees' names stacked on top of White's. You know, just to give us something positive to dream on

PS>> Due to this Mizery game, who can say a basketball team has to have strong "in-the-stands" fan support since Mizery's fan attendance was mizerable last night.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Watch Mizzou use their hips on rebounds. A little bump throws your opponent off balance and makes the rebound easy.
Not sure what the face palm means, but if you don't see Mizzou leaning on our players, shoving without using their hands, and throwing in an occasional hip, your basketball ball education is deficient. What I appreciate is that they almost never do it in an obvious way that gets called. If you don't see it, check the one time it was really obvious and was called. It was underneath the"left" basket and our player was pushed all the way out of bounds.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure what the face palm means, but if you don't see Mizzou leaning on our players, shoving without using their hands, and throwing in an occasional hip, your basketball ball education is deficient. What I appreciate is that they almost never do it in an obvious way that gets called. If you don't see it, check the one time it was really obvious and was called. It was underneath the"left" basket and our player was pushed all the way out of bounds.

You’re losing it man

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I am not sure if you are blaming the officiating or if you are crediting Coach Cuonzo Martin for teaching blocking out technique that might go beyond but without being obvious. I am not trying to be funny I promise, but for someone who is all too familiar with Martin as a player and coach, I was actually surprised at what I thought was a very fair officiated game, given that Mizzou (or any Martin team) is very physical.. For the better part of the game Mizzou had many more team fouls than us and they were at home. To me other than Mizzou shooting lights out, the game was a sideline mismatch between one coach who has some very talented individual players that are not a cohesive unit for some reason versus a group of decent players, who embraced and understood their particular role within a team concept.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I am not sure if you are blaming the officiating or if you are crediting Coach Cuonzo Martin for teaching blocking out technique that might go beyond but without being obvious. I am not trying to be funny I promise, but for someone who is all too familiar with Martin as a player and coach, I was actually surprised at what I thought was a very fair officiated game, given that Mizzou (or any Martin team) is very physical.. For the better part of the game Mizzou had many more team fouls than us and they were at home. To me other than Mizzou shooting lights out, the game was a sideline mismatch between one coach who has some very talented individual players that are not a cohesive unit for some reason versus a group of decent players, who embraced and understood their particular role within a team concept.
Absolutely nothing to disagree with. Thought the officiating was reasonably competent and very fair. The key factor was, indeed, the Mizzou shooting.
But I thought that it was maybe the best example I have ever seen of how to box out and rebound. I really admire the the way that team was coached. Wish we had a coach that taught that kind of toughness. Intramural college basketball I competed with a guy three inches taller and seventy pounds heavier (6' 3"&190). Of course, I cheated a little and stepped on his foot occasionally in addition to leaning and hipping.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Absolutely nothing to disagree with. Thought the officiating was reasonably competent and very fair. The key factor was, indeed, the Mizzou shooting.
But I thought that it was maybe the best example I have ever seen of how to box out and rebound. I really admire the the way that team was coached. Wish we had a coach that taught that kind of toughness. Intramural college basketball I competed with a guy three inches taller and seventy pounds heavier (6' 3"&190). Of course, I cheated a little and stepped on his foot occasionally in addition to leaning and hipping.

This team doesn't need officials to give them a good azz-raping, they're bending over for the least deserving teams on the schedule. Mike, can you please stop putting horsesh!t teams on the court?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.