Gator Basketball Gators crushed flat by crappy Missouri, 91-75

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Not to put to big of a damper on the excitement for basketball and Mike and his current team, when I was living in G'ville the past 4ish years before moving, I would gauge the opponent, our team, etc. when deciding what I would pay to attend a home game. Well I would only pay face value for the UK game and must admit that often I would sit outside and often times someone would just give me a ticket to a conference game b/c that is how much interest there was. Well just for fun I looked at Vivid Seats for Tuesday's game at home, 7PM (not late) against Ole Piss, not a great team but a conference opponent. They have seats for as low as $2 (before fees I know), but that alone tells you the excitement that Mike and this team are creating for a gym that only seats a smidge over 10K

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow Purdue trashes MSU and Izzo by 29 points. Yeah I don't understand that one either and I don't know if anyone has an explanation for it either. Izzo ranked in the top 10 with a much superior team and talent and absolutely lays an egg and only scores 42 points while they average 79 points a game. Another top road team goes down HARD.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It's always darkest before the light........unless you are here............always dark here.............The man that followed Donovan had almost the same mountain to climb as the guy that followed SOS. The bar is high and that is good. Nothing is worse than HIGH expectations vs reality. When you anoint very young people it is hard for them to actualize when the "experts" have spoken. I've seen a team this year that plays good defense most of the time. Get open shots. Rebound better. Get excited and play well together. But Misery (Missouri) lived up to its name. Misery permeates our GC fan base. I am hopeful that these talented kids can play well enough to finish with an invitation to the dance and then make a run or catch fire. Fire seems to be the prevailing sentiment now but it won't happen unless they crash and burn and even then he will get another year. I now return you to your local station of dismay, anger and frustration..........

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
During a press conference before the season, someone asked White what's the difference between this year's team and last year's team. He responding something like you can't coach effort. Guess he miscalculated

White’s awesome. :lol:
Awesome at sucking

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I’m steadily crossing into the replace CMW camp from the “give him a chance” camp. I was never a big fan of his, but kept thinking that if he could get more talented players he could take this team a long way. But it looks more and more as if he may not be the right guy.

With that said, I’ll continue to support the team and hope they get their act together and not only make it into the big dance, but go deep into the tourney. I’ll be as optimistic as I can be, and try to only blame the things on White that he controls (strategy, in game calls and adjustments,etc), and not those things that aren’t within his control (missing wide open shots, a guard making a reckless drive to under the basket without having any idea what he’ll do when he gets there, etc).

It’s just not my nature to abandon the team and not support them, including players and coach. But I have to admit, Saturday’s game was the closest I’ve ever come to turning off a Gator game before the end.

I completely understand others who have stopped watching and whose only desire is for Mike White to be fired. I just can’t bring myself to do that. At least not yet.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
I'd like to say we are inconsistent and soft because we are a young team with freshman but every year Kentucky has a bunch of freshmen and they seem to get it together before SEC play. White seems to think he has 4 years to develop these kids. He also coaches like the point guard he was, NO Inside game and no rough stuff to intimidate the other team. Take a foul and maul the 3 point shooters a couple of time and see if they keep making them. The same goes for driving the lane.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just wonder what big name coaches out there would be on our radar to replace White. Its not gonna be Billy Donovan, he is not coming back to UF. Gregg Marshall seems like a good fit. We missed out on Beard and Mack so they aren't coming. Sean and Archie Miller both struggle at their schools from time to time. Would we dare go after Rick Pitino? What about his son Richard Pitino? He has had some good years at Minnesota and turned the program around but has had some godawful years there too. Shaka Smart from Texas? Again he has struggled there at times too with some terrible records. White hasn't had the terrible 20 loss season like some of these other guys, he has consistently had us at 20 wins and in the NCAA tourney but with the success of our overall basketball program and Final 4s are the standard, we need more from him and our players. Only time will tell how we finish this season and if we go in another direction coaching wise.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I haven’t had a chance to look at him at all, but I need to learn more about Matt Painter, the Purdue coach that beat top 10 teams Virginia and Michigan State by 29 points each.

His Wikipedia bio reads:

Painter runs a motion offense that has consistently been one of the top five offenses in recent years.

Painter's teams are also known for their "stout, stingy, defense" and their "overwhelming offense". Since 2016, Painter's teams have ranked 19th, 24th, 2nd, and 4th in offensive efficiency. Additionally, 7 of Painter's teams have ranked in the top 35 in defensive efficiency.

With Painter at the helm, Purdue teams have reached the NCAA Tournament eleven times, with five Sweet Sixteen appearances and one Elite Eight appearance. Painter also reached the NCAA Tournament in his one season at Southern Illinois, giving him a total of twelve tournament appearances in only fifteen years coaching.

Matt Painter has coached a total of nine NBA players in his tenure at Purdue University.

But I just looked at this season’s results, and see that he lost to Illinois 63-37 a week ago, so maybe not.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I just wonder what big name coaches out there would be on our radar to replace White. Its not gonna be Billy Donovan, he is not coming back to UF. Gregg Marshall seems like a good fit. We missed out on Beard and Mack so they aren't coming. Sean and Archie Miller both struggle at their schools from time to time. Would we dare go after Rick Pitino? What about his son Richard Pitino? He has had some good years at Minnesota and turned the program around but has had some godawful years there too. Shaka Smart from Texas? Again he has struggled there at times too with some terrible records. White hasn't had the terrible 20 loss season like some of these other guys, he has consistently had us at 20 wins and in the NCAA tourney but with the success of our overall basketball program and Final 4s are the standard, we need more from him and our players. Only time will tell how we finish this season and if we go in another direction coaching wise.

@Jbossgator8 and others like me who want Mike canned, and I m fine with a guy like Marshall, but in all honesty why does it have to be a big name? Some of the better/best coaches today were never big names and many of them were almost total unknowns before they rose. I won;t cite the names, but I will give you 2 schools, small in nature, but have turned out probably a total of 8 or so coaches that have gone on and achieved. Butler and Xavier. Part of the AD's job is to continuously research and be aware of all types of coaches, not just look at the end of year standings and stat sheets from 2nd tier conferences and hire those guys, you know the FOOLEY way.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I haven’t had a chance to look at him at all, but I need to learn more about Matt Painter, the Purdue coach that beat top 10 teams Virginia and Michigan State by 29 points each.

His Wikipedia bio reads:

Painter runs a motion offense that has consistently been one of the top five offenses in recent years.

Painter's teams are also known for their "stout, stingy, defense" and their "overwhelming offense". Since 2016, Painter's teams have ranked 19th, 24th, 2nd, and 4th in offensive efficiency. Additionally, 7 of Painter's teams have ranked in the top 35 in defensive efficiency.

With Painter at the helm, Purdue teams have reached the NCAA Tournament eleven times, with five Sweet Sixteen appearances and one Elite Eight appearance. Painter also reached the NCAA Tournament in his one season at Southern Illinois, giving him a total of twelve tournament appearances in only fifteen years coaching.

Matt Painter has coached a total of nine NBA players in his tenure at Purdue University.

But I just looked at this season’s results, and see that he lost to Illinois 63-37 a week ago, so maybe not.

Matt Painter is a very good coach but he is not going anywhere. he played at Purdue under Gene Keady and was a head coach at I believe Southern Illinois or one of those Missouri Valley conference teams when he was named head coach at Purdue one year before Keady departed. So Painter left his head coaching gig, went to Purdue and assisted under Keady in Keady's last season.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
@Jbossgator8 and others like me who want Mike canned, and I m fine with a guy like Marshall, but in all honesty why does it have to be a big name? Some of the better/best coaches today were never big names and many of them were almost total unknowns before they rose. I won;t cite the names, but I will give you 2 schools, small in nature, but have turned out probably a total of 8 or so coaches that have gone on and achieved. Butler and Xavier. Part of the AD's job is to continuously research and be aware of all types of coaches, not just look at the end of year standings and stat sheets from 2nd tier conferences and hire those guys, you know the FOOLEY way.
Ritchie McKay. Check him out.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Really, the question is who out there could inspire these top athletes better than White? There has to be an easy to find group.
It is stupid to observe White's product and not realize that he has zero regard for the inside game. That might not be blatantly obvious because his players never even think on the inside move, nor the inside look. Don't you know that when the ball starts moving inward that White's nerves are yearning for them to get the ball out of there? White can't imagine good things happening in that crowd. All of White's real time, playing time getting close to the basket is where you get stuffed by towering opponents.

Stricklin doesn't have to know basketball to see that White doesn't deserve to guide the Florida Gators basketball team. This group of worthy players should have progressed to 14 wins at this point. It's too late and it's getting later. We face some really well-coached teams -- not teams with more skilled individual athletes but teams learning better basketball patterns of scoring using teammates to advantage.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Ritchie McKay. Check him out.

There you go. Thank you. Perfect example. Honestly I have never heard of the guy so I looked him up. Rest assured that if I ever see Liberty on TV I will take a quick peak at how they look and remember that @MidwestChomp mentioned this guy. I saw he was the lead assistant at UVA which would lead me to see if Liberty plays that same style of pack line defense and if they do it effectively. Do they also struggle scoring b/c he was at UVA? Who knows? But thanx for throwing a name out there. I will check his club out.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
There you go. Thank you. Perfect example. Honestly I have never heard of the guy so I looked him up. Rest assured that if I ever see Liberty on TV I will take a quick peak at how they look and remember that @MidwestChomp mentioned this guy. I saw he was the lead assistant at UVA which would lead me to see if Liberty plays that same style of pack line defense and if they do it effectively. Do they also struggle scoring b/c he was at UVA? Who knows? But thanx for throwing a name out there. I will check his club out.

He takes elements from the Bennets, but he has his own style. They do tons of constant ball screens. Liberty is 14-0 this year and won 29 games last year. They upset MS State in the tournament last year.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
He takes elements from the Bennets, but he has his own style. They do tons of constant ball screens. Liberty is 14-0 this year and won 29 games last year. They upset MS State in the tournament last year.

18-1 now with their only loss at LSU. Also won at Vandy. But they clearly are getting it done on their level these past 2 years with numbers like that. And if McKay takes things from the Dick, Jack and Tony Bennett my guess is they are balanced on the floor defensively and pay attention to detail. I will take a look, thanx for the info.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Checked out Ritchy Mckay. Yes, right away. Make him UF's basketball HC next year. Our high-star athletes need Mckay. More importantly, I need Mckay asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator