Gators entering draft; Cleveland, Jefferson, Perine, Zuniga staying

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Didnt Dean say he was coming for the Star position? I wouldnt mind a player with Burney's ability at OLB. We may finally be able to cover a TE

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dean will be the star/ nickel , burney will take Joseph’s spot I think , with Stewart and Davis hopefully at safety I could see trey playing safety too with burney at star .

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am always happy when guys return who possibly could have left early. but in all honesty, outside of Perine, would any of these guys been highly regarded in the draft?

Cleveland? Nothing to be said.
Reese? Way too slow in space
Zuniga? a good player but disappears a lot. People think he is an elite pass rusher. I think elite is not the correct word. He does not stand out physically (strength, long arms, etc.) and if you are physically like the majority, you better be like an Elvis Dumervil type.
Shuler? Nothing to be said

Whether I think the guys leaving will make it or not is irrelevant. I think tho that the only real head scratcher is Vosean. I am sorry I just don;t see it regardless of what the draft gurus say.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I am always happy when guys return who possibly could have left early. but in all honesty, outside of Perine, would any of these guys been highly regarded in the draft?

Rezese? Way too slow in space
Zuniga? a good player but disappears a lot. People think he is an elite pass rusher. I think elite is not the correct word. He does not stand out physically (strength, long arms, etc.) and if you are physically like the majority, you better be like an Elvis Dumervil type.

Whether I think the guys leaving will make it or not is irrelevant. I think tho that the only real head scratcher is Vosean. I am sorry I just don;t see it regardless of what the draft gurus say.

Well this site:

2019 NFL Draft Prospect Database - Page 3 of 12 - The Draft Network

says:

1. Perine is the 33rd RB on the board (Scarlette is 18th)
2. Cleveland is the 66th WR on the board. (I did see where WalterFootball.com said they had him in the opening round but gave his decision to return a B+ after not doing that much this year.)
3. Reese is unranked as a prospect (note Joseph is their 9th LB)
4. Zuniga is their 17th edge rusher. I think he is one that you might be a bit off on. Walterfootball has him as their 21st Rush DE/OLB going in the 3rd to 6th round. With a good combine he is the type of guy who could move up.
5. Shuler is not on the many draft site boards as far as I can tell.

So I think your sense is right except possibly for Zuniga.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014

Reese? Way too slow in space

What makes me most excited about any of these guys staying is it gives Mullen the opportunity to sign and develop more of his guys without having to put them in too early if they're not ready. It just makes the year to year transition smoother, more 10 win seasons and less 8 win "young but promising" seasons because so many guys left.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Reese is just way too slow. He will never be an NFL linebacker. Joseph is actually pretty fast so his inability to cover is perplexing.

Many times Joseph is just looking the wrong way and doesn't notice his back or TE is running a route. I don't know how you fix that if the kid doesn't know the playbook or can't focus on his assignment if he does in fact know the play.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Reese is just way to slow. He will never be an NFL linebacker.

A few people adjust to the speed or quickness of the level/sport they are playing. So I always hessitate to say never based on speed or quickness, but it certainly is something that hurts Reese's draft prospect greatly.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I love David Reese. He's a good college linebacker, represents UF well, and is a leader in the locker room. I think he's playing at a level above what God blessed him with naturally talent wise. I doubt we see him playing on Sundays, but I'm glad he plays for us on Saturdays.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I love that these guys are stating “unfinished business” as a reason for staying. It says volumes about Mullen’s turn around of the program. The locker room believes!
But what unfinished business? Beat Georgia an win an SEC ‘ship. They’ve got spunk.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Think about another REAL S&C season?

You saw what just one year did.

SCColaGator

Dec 31, 2016
I get the feeling we are going to be a legitimate Gator team next year. We figure out an oline that is average or better and we may ...... possibly ...... make the playoffs.....

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Reese is just way too slow. He will never be an NFL linebacker. Joseph is actually pretty fast so his inability to cover is perplexing.

Many times Joseph is just looking the wrong way and doesn't notice his back or TE is running a route. I don't know how you fix that if the kid doesn't know the playbook or can't focus on his assignment if he does in fact know the play.

Emmitt was known as a “plodder,” and Danny Boy had a precision and football IQ that I thought would help him in the NFL. So I don’t deal in absolutes... odds are, you’re right about Reese. As for VJ, I think it’s his instincts and football IQ that will determine his success or failure at the next level. Maybe they can coach him up.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well this site:

says:

2. Cleveland is the 66th WR on the board. (I did see where WalterFootball.com said they had him in the opening round but gave his decision to return a B+ after not doing that much this year.)
4. Zuniga is their 17th edge rusher. I think he is one that you might be a bit off on. Walterfootball has him as their 21st Rush DE/OLB going in the 3rd to 6th round. With a good combine he is the type of guy who could move up.

Thats good stuff Insti, thanx for the info. It does at least tell me that my old eyeballs are not that far off just yet. But a D-lineman projected 3rd-6th round does not scream leave school early for that to me.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Thats good stuff Insti, thanx for the info. It does at least tell me that my old eyeballs are not that far off just yet. But a D-lineman projected 3rd-6th round does not scream leave school early for that to me.

I suspect what caused him to stay is the rise of Polite this year. The 75th pick signed a contract worth $3.7 million last year, so he might be gambling that much money on staying healthy and having at least as good a year next year.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Really happy about all the players at skill positions returning for senior campaigns. This kind of continuity and familiarity should only help Franks grow as a QB. My concern/focus heading into the offseason remains in the trenches.

I knew he had a great motor, but nobody saw Jachai Polite emerging as a star with that kind of production as a pass rusher this year. While we should be great in the secondary, we’re gonna need to match his production collectively next year. Guys like Zuniga (and hopefully Greenard) need to carry the torch. Also, it’s about time Jeremiah Moon and/or Antonneous Clayton play to their potential. It has to finally click for them next year or it won’t happen. DT is also a position that needs another body or two.

On the offensive line, the interior will probably stay the same but who fills the Tackle spots? Taylor probably had the best feet of our linemen. His exit may have been a bit premature, but he was solid. We’ve recruited well to create depth across the line, but I wish we were able to get a big time Tackle prospect or grad transfer this cycle. Franks is a much better QB when he has time in the pocket or is running by design as opposed to for self-preservation.

It will be curious to see how Mullen addresses this and who emerges in the off season.

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
This is really starting to look pretty special. I am borderline pumper to begin with, skeptical, but try to see the positives ... but .... the right players are staying their senior season. College recruiting isn't just about getting the best high school kids to come, its also getting the ones you've already developed to stay. Those staying for their senior season will not affect our recruiting rankings a bit but it sure is going to help our team. Mullen is doing a great job thus far.

Now ... Savage time!
So wipe that smile off your face
Well this site:

says:

One more spring and fall with summer and some more S&C these guys could/should be really special next THIS YEAR.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The problem I have with such estimates is a combination of how many teams need someone in a position and which others are in the draft. Say QB, there are several teams (Dolphins are one) that either need QBs or could use them, they also have many other needs. So unless you are number one or two at your position you might fall beyond the second round. Now if you dislike school or have some special money needs you might go and give it a try sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb