Gator Basketball Gators get by Nevada to storm into the Terrific 32

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well:

1. And for most survive and advance.

2. I would not blame the game tightening up so much on UF on White as much as Hayes and Nembhard missing the front end of one, Nevada getting as physical as the official's would let them and Johnson not being able to make a few very open short shots.

3. Hayes made one out bounds play shot he did not control in the first half and missed an alley oop he did not control in the second half. I am good with 50% of two slop plays like that. Nembhard did not make a very good pass to Hayes on the one in the second half.

4. Nevada tried to out tough and physical UF since they could not out talent UF. The officials let them get away with it to a certain extent, but also made the calls that needed to be made late.

5. The move to the 1-3-1 worked out like a charm. I was not sure about it at first, but boy it worked.

6. Nembhard's 8-7-6 game was very key and he made maybe the most important shot in the game. Bassett also made a key late shot that really sealed the game.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Happy with the very sloppy win but White needs to grow a pair and not go all Will Wade but at least contest obvious bias.

We arent blue bloods but jesus christ try and not make obvious who you want to win.

Just hoping our kids can recover with enough ointment and gauze

SC Gator

Sorta Kinda
Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Really don’t get the hate for White but old enough to remember Billy D getting hate when they went out early a lot.

Go gators. Enjoy this. This makes it a good season.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It was good wasnt it BOSS...........we owned that 4 loss team with all that size and skill. Our boys have seen real teams all year............and this team wasnt prepared for our defense and discipline.............

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
While I agree we played somewhat the same in the first half using a lot of clock, I can't really tell the difference but that is my issue.
The main difference is ww were trying things and ultimately took longer on some possesions in the first half and the first 7 min of the 2nd. In the last 13 we refused to take a quick layup or push any offense until 7 seconds left. Meaning if the first action was guarded we got no shot, a bad shot or a turnover. I rather us score 90 and embarrass an opponent vs holding the ball ensuring the other team gets back in if they can score consistently

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
The one call that was really disturbing to me. During their run they are shooting foul shots, Johnson has position, they go over the back and WE get the foul. Four free shots not to mention momentum while the clock is still!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I was thrilled and amazed at the 18-point lead and the heady play that earned it.

Then we got stupid, careless, and the refs allowed Nevada to mug us until the lead shrank to 3. Furious, storming around my family room & the rest of the family quietly exited to the room.

And then we won. Hayes hitting free throws. Bassett seals the game. BASSETT?!?!

Wow.

Make the tournament = decent year
Win a game = a much better year

This team has gotten better the last month. Still maddening at times. That was a good win.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Our boys were really prepared and it really showed. Kudos by White for the great game plan. We were clearly the much better team and our defense was outstanding yet again. Funny how when we hired White he ran a big time high flying offense but he has been a big time defensive coach now at UF. He has adapted and molded this program around the players and the hands that they have been dealt with all the injuries. Feels really good for these seniors to get their 5th NCAA Tourney win. They are helping show that White is not the NIT coach he was at La Tech. Our roster is LOADED next season so our offense will be much better. Our freshman this season are gaining VERY valuable experience this season and post season. Can't wait for the future. Go Gators!!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
White is getting a lot of blame. But it isn't White's fault KJ, Hayes, and Bassett kept missing shots from 2-5 feet away. It isn't White's fault Bassett doesn't block out. It is White's fault they run an offense that burns the shot clock and then the guys are forced into hero ball.
This is a good point. We blew some really good looks down the stretch. We didn't handle their pressure real well either during that comeback either. Nevada also managed to get to the line quite a bit in that comeback.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well:

1. And for most survive and advance.

2. I would not blame the game tightening up so much on UF on White as much as Hayes and Nembhard missing the front end of one, Nevada getting as physical as the official's would let them and Johnson not being able to make a few very open short shots.

3. Hayes made one out bounds play shot he did not control in the first half and missed an alley oop he did not control in the second half. I am good with 50% of two slop plays like that. Nembhard did not make a very good pass to Hayes on the one in the second half.

4. Nevada tried to out tough and physical UF since they could not out talent UF. The officials let them get away with it to a certain extent, but also made the calls that needed to be made late.

5. The move to the 1-3-1 worked out like a charm. I was not sure about it at first, but boy it worked.

6. Nembhard's 8-7-6 game was very key and he made maybe the most important shot in the game. Bassett also made a key late shot that really sealed the game.
I can't believe I'm saying this to you. But here goes..... I agree

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nailed it.

I expect Florida to win this one. Nevada is another Guard heavy team that shoots the 3 ball. The losses they’ve taken this year have been against teams that play great defense. Florida will lock them down, frustrate them from making shots and it will be one and done for this team with extremely high expectations.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
At the end of the day: this was a good team win. The seniors played well and the freshman all made key plays when they needed to.

THIS was the team we are capable of being and have shown flashes at times.

Playing slow-tempo is maddening to watch, but there's no question it frustrates other teams and despite Nevada's experience: they never looked comfortable out there. Onward to the next one.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Loved reading some of you who really got it. We ran the same offense in both halves. Our offense. Most hate it but it’s a great adjustment by White. We are not an uptempo team. We control tempo. We run clock. Difference was 2nd half we continually missed gimme’s. We got the shot we wanted but did not make them. We missed the front end of 1 and 1’s. We scored 37 first half 33 second half. Same offense. Our best strength is our defense. If this team tries to turn the game into a track meet tonight we lose by 15-20. A great game plan is a successful game plan.

Hayes development offensively in the post continues to be evident. None of us thought that was possible. Nembhards poise and confidence, Hudson’s resurgence, KJ becoming our strongest rebounder, Allen back contributing....all point to development and White has to get some credit.

I Love uptempo, fast break basketball. Showtime. But that’s not us. White recognizes that and is playing to our strength. Next year the roster should support a faster pace. Not this year.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Loved reading some of you who really got it. We ran the same offense in both halves. Our offense. Most hate it but it’s a great adjustment by White. We are not an uptempo team. We control tempo. We run clock. Difference was 2nd half we continually missed gimme’s. We got the shot we wanted but did not make them. We missed the front end of 1 and 1’s. We scored 37 first half 33 second half. Same offense. Our best strength is our defense. If this team tries to turn the game into a track meet tonight we lose by 15-20. A great game plan is a successful game plan.

Hayes development offensively in the post continues to be evident. None of us thought that was possible. Nembhards poise and confidence, Hudson’s resurgence, KJ becoming our strongest rebounder, Allen back contributing....all point to development and White has to get some credit.

I Love uptempo, fast break basketball. Showtime. But that’s not us. White recognizes that and is playing to our strength. Next year the roster should support a faster pace. Not this year.
This. In his previous seven seasons as a coach, White's teams have averaged 74.9 pts/game. He didn't forget how to coach offense, he's clearly playing to our strengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.