Gator Basketball Gators get by Nevada to storm into the Terrific 32

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bobby and Fred were both there when I was there. Fred recently passed if I’m not mistaken. Bobby and I were good buddies. Very funny dry sense of humor. Did u know most of those guys that were younger than me ? Belmonte and I play golf some times
Wow, I was afraid I might hear that if you knew Freddie. He was obese 40 years ago, no telling the toll the years took. Sad to hear he's gone. He took so much shyt from co-workers and yet he was a good guy, demanding as well. I learned how to lay out the page from that guy.

I was with the Sun from '79 to '81. Subbed for Bobby covering the team a few times. Met many players but I'd be stretching trying to remember names at this point. The old Perry Field days.

Bobby has his own pest control company now as I recall.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Your mom takes it, but won’t move on.

“What’s the difference between your mom and a washing machine?
When I dump a load in the machine, it doesn’t follow me around for a week”.
:lol:

wsod.gif

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think you have the personality to run a proper message board. You threaten ban on people for nada.
:oxslap2:
Once agin, you take sh*t too serious. Ox might have banned 6 or so since this board started and all but 1 were trolls.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Once agin, you take sh*t too serious. Ox might have banned 6 or so since this board started and all but 1 were trolls.

And that one asked to be banned, and has been allowed to return under a different name. Ox allows much more diversity than his best competitor.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Relax, My Gators. I hardly take any of it seriously. We're about the 30th best team in the county, just what the NET ratings said we were for most of the year. We maximized the talent we had on hand and had a fairly decent year. We Bring in the Young Guns next year, reload, and make another run. This time we expect Sweet 16 team, minimum. Gators in the tournament is the standard. Standard met. White improving our team daily. Now if only Ox would pay out from the Pick' em. Damn Welcher.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying Hayes can be a 20 ppg inside man. Even my claim of 16 ppg is a bit wishful. But the first 25 games Hayes averaged 6 ppg. The last 10 games, when Hayes went from 4 to 6 shots/game, Hayes gave us 11.8 ppg.
Hayes essentially doubled his scoring worth. IMO, that was a positive move.

Florida had 3 players (Hudson, Locke, Allen) who each averaged about 9-10 shots per game.
Hayes averaged about 4.5 shots from 67%-land. As a team that is 27-30 shots from 37% area and 4.5 shots from 67% area. That's enough imbalance for me to say we neglected the inside game. Going forward, as long as we do that, we will struggle. Excusing such severe imbalance by blaming my assumptions more than your assumptions ain't that different from White's saying "I've tried everything. I don't know what else to do." = is that $2 millions worth of coaching? I'm just burning for White to jack-up his coaching-smarts intensity when we stay in danger in almost every game. What coach doesn't tinker to correct that? Michigan isn't so good. Watch them from here on.

This team played better when they increased their closer-in attack (around the 27th game of the season? why so late for a change so needed?)

Coach us out of weaknesses, learn from past shortcomings, please. Grow Gators. I'm just pre-protesting the under-use of inside scoring.[bull-headed, I know]

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I'm not saying Hayes can be a 20 ppg inside man. Even my claim of 16 ppg is a bit wishful. But the first 25 games Hayes averaged 6 ppg. The last 10 games, when Hayes went from 4 to 6 shots/game, Hayes gave us 11.8 ppg.
Hayes essentially doubled his scoring worth. IMO, that was a positive move.

Florida had 3 players (Hudson, Locke, Allen) who each averaged about 9-10 shots per game.
Hayes averaged about 4.5 shots from 67%-land. As a team that is 27-30 shots from 37% area and 4.5 shots from 67% area. That's enough imbalance for me to say we neglected the inside game. Going forward, as long as we do that, we will struggle. Excusing such severe imbalance by blaming my assumptions more than your assumptions ain't that different from White's saying "I've tried everything. I don't know what else to do." = is that $2 millions worth of coaching? I'm just burning for White to jack-up his coaching-smarts intensity when we stay in danger in almost every game. What coach doesn't tinker to correct that? Michigan isn't so good. Watch them from here on.

This team played better when they increased their closer-in attack (around the 27th game of the season? why so late for a change so needed?)

Coach us out of weaknesses, learn from past shortcomings, please. Grow Gators. I'm just pre-protesting the under-use of inside scoring.[bull-headed, I know]

Hayes has been coached hard for years and has improved. But he has bad hands and poor offensive instincts for the game. He is awkward with the ball. He does not have good basket awareness. The coaches have done wonders with him. He typically scores more early in a game because of some pick and rolls and slips. They are easy adjustments for opponents and they aren’t there as the game progresses. Otherwise it’s put-backs.

Great kid and high energy and our best leader. Hard worker but he was never going to avg 16ppg at this level. He would have been an absolute valuable back up 4-5 on a better team.

Without a doubt my favorite player on this team because of his work ethic and leadership. Every team benefits from players like him.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Hayes has been coached hard for years and has improved. But he has bad hands and poor offensive instincts for the game. He is awkward with the ball. He does not have good basket awareness. The coaches have done wonders with him. He typically scores more early in a game because of some pick and rolls and slips. They are easy adjustments for opponents and they aren’t there as the game progresses. Otherwise it’s put-backs.

Great kid and high energy and our best leader. Hard worker but he was never going to avg 16ppg at this level. He would have been an absolute valuable back up 4-5 on a better team.

Without a doubt my favorite player on this team because of his work ethic and leadership. Every team benefits from players like him.
If Hayes has bad hands. I would really like to know what you thought of Alex Tyus's hands?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Tyus has or had a pro career in ?Isreal. Always nice to earn a living playing a sport you love & being a local celeb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb