Gators Have National Title Expectations

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Gators with championship expectations - GatorSports.com

There is a central theme in the Tweets sent out by some top Florida juniors earlier this month announcing they were returning for their senior season rather than declaring for the NFL draft.

Unfinished business.

These juniors — including running back La’ Mical Perine, wide receiver Van Jefferson, linebacker David Reese, wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland and defensive end Jabari Zuniga — are coming back to try and win a national championship in year two under coach Dan Mullen.

“I believe this team has a chance to go to the national championship game and I want to be part of something like that,” Jefferson said.

“We feel we have a legitimate shot to win it all,” Perine said.

Mullen arrived at Florida a little more than a year ago, declaring that his plan was to restore the Gator standard and return UF to a championship program.

At the time, with the Gators coming off a 4-7 season, most assumed it would likely be a lengthy process, taking several years and some excellent recruiting classes.

But after what the Gators did in Mullen’s first season — going 10-3, dismantling Michigan in a New Year’s Six bowl, and finishing in the Top 10 in the nation (No. 6 in one poll, tied for No. 7 in the other) — the process, or at least the expectation, has been accelerated.

The Gators, and these juniors in particular, feel like they’re on the brink of becoming a championship program.

“I think we’re close,” Jefferson said. “Last year was my first year here. I felt I didn’t get everything that Coach Mullen has to offer this program. I want to be a part of that for one more year and see where this team goes.”

Said Reese: “With the right leadership (from the seniors), we can go all the way this year.”

The Gators are confident and clearly have momentum after closing out the 2018 season the way they did. Over the final three-and-a-half games (South Carolina, Idaho, Florida State and Michigan), Florida played at a championship level. Over that span, the Gators outscored the opposition 166-49.

Florida wasn’t that far off from being a championship contender in Mullen’s first season.

“Man, two games,” Reese said. “The little things. Couple of games away, a couple of different snaps away, from being a contender. The margin of error is real small.

“If we find a way to beat Georgia (this season) and get to the SEC Championship Game, we’ll give ourselves a chance to play in the national championship game. I feel like there’s an opportunity with this team. But there’s a lot of work to be done.”

Under Mullen and the new staff, the players have shown they’re willing to put in the work. Numerous players have said the turnaround season in 2018 started about a year ago in the weight room, under strength and conditioning coordinator Nick Savage and his staff.

Savage and the Gators are back at it now, laying the groundwork for the 2019 season.

“This offseason is going to get us to where we need to be,” Jefferson said. “Coach Savage is putting us through these crazy workouts. All these workouts we’re doing right now are going to pay off. Once we hit spring ball and fall camp, we’ll be ready to go.”

In a little more than a year, the Gators have gone from 4-7 to 10-3, from a rebuilding team to one that thinks it can contend for a national championship.

There’s clearly been a culture change. And it’s occurred quickly.

“We have a coach that knows how to win and he knows the Gator standard, and he wants to win championships,” Perine said. “It’s a lot to say you want to win a championship. You have to have that hard work and mentality to win one as well.

“Coach Mullen knows the mentality, and he’s bringing that Gator standard back.”

Jefferson, the Ole Miss transfer, said he’s not surprised how quickly Mullen has turned things around. He saw what kind of program builder Mullen was at Mississippi State.

“I knew he was going to come in and make us work and make us be the best we can be,” Jefferson said.

“I knew coming in he was going to change the culture, change the team, change the whole mindset of everybody throughout the program. You see what happened this season.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I love the mind set but...................... I won't bet my homestead yet.

Wife, probably .......... :bananadance2:

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Coach is working it! Flew in on a copter to our High School as a surprise to get another stud. Flew right over me on the 12th fairway at Wellington National today.

Gators coach Dan Mullen visits Wellington's Mark-Antony Richards by helicopter

Richards is the little brother of the 5* at scUM who had a career ending injury. This will be huge in the 561 recruiting war. Last big name out of here was Fred Johnson. We need to pull this kid.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The players who had been here a year or two already, saw first hand the difference Mullen made. They want some more of that!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You want your players to think that way. This is the first hurdle. Getting the right pieces is the next.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Love to see these kids buying in and confidence being restored. That's the first step, and goes a long way when these top recruits visit; they are surrounded by these guys that believe in Mullen and possibility of winning a championship.
We are in for a very exciting run, and I wouldn't be surprised if we make the final four next year.
However, I think the 2020 class will decide the future--we should land a top-five class--maybe even better--if we can keep the momentum going.
And I think we will. But the 2019 class is shaping up beyond our expectations, so we might arrive sooner than the "experts" think.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for Copy/Pasting the article. No way I was clicking on the link.

Love the mindset.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know we're all happy about the season we just had, and you have to have this mind set to have a chance. Given the talent gap on this team, if we were just able to win the SEC, it would be one of the greatest coaching jobs in college football history.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Love the attitude, but I don't think next year is the year. The class we are signing now is the foundation. Maybe year after next. I don't understand the confidence in our Oline.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand the confidence in our Oline.
Less Butters. Less suckage.

We are going to miss JT. But I think over all the "second year in the system" improvement will be huge. If only Heggie can stay healthy, would could even go from "functional (usually)" to "good".

Last edited:

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Thanks for Copy/Pasting the article. No way I was clicking on the link.

Love the mindset.
Well I clicked and felt a bit guilty :lol:
But in my defense I haven't visited that place in over a year--and it was only because I was curious about the mindset of the players.
It says a lot that these guys went from 4-7 under butters and being completely demoralized to going 10-3 and expecting a championship run next year. That speaks volumes.
Again, the play on the field and attitude of the players sell the most important point: that we now have a system and the stability to win games--that is something that has been lacking since Meyer left.
For the first time since the Meyer era, we have a coach that knows a system that can win championships and is unwavering in his approach; recruits know their place and understand their opportunities on the field.
I think this was probably a huge red flag with recruits over the past several years, because we really haven't had an identity or direction on offence. Now we do, and these top recruits know what to expect and where they fit, and that they can win.
Confidence goes a long way

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The truth is we return alot players. How the offensive line comes together because it will obviously be a whole new unit. And what kind of off season and fall camp these dudes have. I'm not calling for an undefeated season next year but every game is winnable.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
It's not just wanting to win that counts; it's wanting to do the preparation and the training it takes to win. This first takes place in the mind with the belief that winning is possible.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Coming just a year off the Butters regime, reading that was simply astounding. What Mullen was able to do to the team mentally is truly remarkable.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Winning championships takes a long, hard, & lucky season. Prior to that season, UF will need to ride a few years of Mullin's superior recruiting i.e. as good as Saban, as good as Smart. Then our internal roaring spirit-confidence will have to power up. There is still a lot to do. Luckily, I've finished my part early. :cool:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Less Butters. Less suckage.

We are going to miss JT. But I think over all the "second year in the system" improvement will be huge. If only Heggie can stay healthy, would could even go from "functional (usually)" to "good".
Hope you are correct. But I remember how long it took last year's OL to develop. Also Ivy wasn't much last year, but was sec OL of the week earlier in his career while playing guard. Maybe twice

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I expect playoffs this year. Mullen proved his abilities this year and I believe he and the team expect the same. Not a fireable offense if he doesn't (they sky won't be falling or any of that for me), but that's the way I see it. Playoff appearance this year, SEC championship (appearance) and another playoff appearance the next year, and both NC and SEC titles the following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator