Gators in the NFL draft (2019 edition)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That time shocked me. Every time I watched a game and they went to him he was unstoppable. Then they would stop throwing to him the rest of the game.
Kirby Shart is no less a Dwag trained by Ray Goof than Chimp was. The forward pass is dangerous. Run the ball and run out the clock will always be their motto.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

It looks like Seattle didn't sign Jefferson as an undrafted free agent after his workout with them a while back as he doesn't appear to be on their 90 man camp roster - probably just felt he was too slow to mess with as an OLB.

I think Ivey may have never got signed by anyone either. I figured someone would have at least given him a shot at Guard to see what he could do. Crazy Fred got picked up for a look but he didn't.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
CeCe and all those "buck" tweeners. NFL doesn't really have a role for them. I won't be surprised to see Polite not last either.

Fred at least tries, and tries hard.

Ivey being unemployed is a good thing maybe for the team, though I am surprised. Thought someone would fall in love with his athleticism and take him as a project. Maybe it will slow down this three and out thing.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I think Ivey may have never got signed by anyone either. I figured someone would have at least given him a shot at Guard to see what he could do. Crazy Fred got picked up for a look but he didn't.

If memory serves me correct, Seattle gave Ivey a rookie camp invite to see if he was worth inviting to training camp. They saw him and moved on. Says a lot. Buffalo did the same with Tyler Jordan.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If memory serves me correct, Seattle gave Ivey a rookie camp invite to see if he was worth inviting to training camp. They saw him and moved on. Says a lot. Buffalo did the same with Tyler Jordan.

Yep Jordan did alright his senior year but just wasn't pro-material.

Maybe -I know Seattle gave Jefferson a tryout. I can see Jefferson not being offered due to being a tweener that isn't fast enough to be an OLB but Ivey was 2nd team SEC and you would think that alone would get him an undrafted camp contract at least without a tryout. I wonder if that has ever happened before in recent years with a senior lineman that was named to the 2nd SEC team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if that has ever happened before in recent years with a senior lineman that was named to the 2nd SEC team.
We worked hard to hide his numerous flaws, mostly in passing protection but also in struggling with complicated run blocking.

But yes, there are people like that. The CB Ryan Smith is a great example of an untalented player getting an "all sec" honor bc of stats or reputation and not lasting a day in the NFL.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ivey's eval:

Weaknesses
  • Slow out of stance and to fit his block
  • Unable to get to lateral blocks in zone game
  • Tall pad level, poor leverage at point of attack
  • Nose rarely over toes with pads frequently overextended
  • Clumsy footwork as run blocker
  • Plays with lack of timing on combo blocks
  • In run and pass, body control and balance are poor
  • Struggles to maintain core engagement through contact
  • Gets pulled off-balance by power in pass-sets
  • Struggled to defend his edge against power rushers
Sources Tell Us

"Everything about how he plays is just so sloppy. He was a big deal when he came in and he just never developed at all. His feet never caught up with his body." - AFC southeastern scout

In the end he is big and athletic, I am a bit surprised no one took him on to attempt to fix him. Maybe they still will.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Ivey's eval:

Weaknesses
  • Slow out of stance and to fit his block
  • Unable to get to lateral blocks in zone game
  • Tall pad level, poor leverage at point of attack
  • Nose rarely over toes with pads frequently overextended
  • Clumsy footwork as run blocker
  • Plays with lack of timing on combo blocks
  • In run and pass, body control and balance are poor
  • Struggles to maintain core engagement through contact
  • Gets pulled off-balance by power in pass-sets
  • Struggled to defend his edge against power rushers
Sources Tell Us

"Everything about how he plays is just so sloppy. He was a big deal when he came in and he just never developed at all. His feet never caught up with his body." - AFC southeastern scout

In the end he is big and athletic, I am a bit surprised no one took him on to attempt to fix him. Maybe they still will.
I remember reading somewhere that Ivey said he wished he had another year of eligibility left. I got the impression he felt he finally was getting the proper coaching, but one year of Hevesy couldn’t fix it all. No idea if another year would have mattered, but I suspect Ivey thinks so.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember reading somewhere that Ivey said he wished he had another year of eligibility left. I got the impression he felt he finally was getting the proper coaching, but one year of Hevesy couldn’t fix it all. No idea if another year would have mattered, but I suspect Ivey thinks so.
Maybe. But he had the same coaches as Taylor and Johnson and they are at least employed, with less talent IMO.

I think the biggest disservice we did was not recruiting enough talent to challenge him. He basically got to stay on the field and not have to work for it. He didn't have to get better so he didnt.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We worked hard to hide his numerous flaws, mostly in passing protection but also in struggling with complicated run blocking.

But yes, there are people like that. The CB Ryan Smith is a great example of an untalented player getting an "all sec" honor bc of stats or reputation and not lasting a day in the NFL.

A great example of this is Larry Kennedy from the early 90's - he was All-SEC at least 2 years in a row and never made it in the NFL (especially after running a 4.9 40 - or similar - at the combine). Jimmy Spencer was a backup on the 1990 team, started a few games as a nickel, and went on to an 12 year NFL career as an 8th round draft pick.

Here's a good list of star UF players who never played in the NFL:

List of Gator greats to never play in the NFL is extensive

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Great - Huey Richardson, did he ever play a snap at the next level?

Yep but never did anything I think - he played in a few games at Pittsburgh and a couple at Washington. I think he is considered the biggest draft bust we ever had considering he was picked in the middle of the first round.

Sounds like he did alright for himself in business and he was about to enter the elevator on 9/11 to go to a top floor when they got word about that plane and that kept him from being a casualty that day.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Max Henson training camp notes for panthers.com,

Rookie running back Jordan Scarlett had a strong day, and it somewhat surprisingly came in the passing game. The fifth-round pick wasn’t involved as a pass-catcher during his college days at Florida, but he showed soft hands reeling in passes in the flat. That’ll no doubt help his cause in the competition for reps behind McCaffrey.

Also, Fred Johnson is getting reps with the 2s for the Steelers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb