Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Brandt has Zuniga as the #4 Edge in the draft:

2020 NFL Draft: Prospect-pro comparisons for top pass rushers

• By Gil Brandt
  • NFL Media senior analyst

4) Jabari Zuniga, Florida

Pro comparison: James Harrison (84.5 career sacks, 793 tackles, 128 tackles for loss in 15 seasons, 2002-2017).

Zuniga posted a 4.64-second 40-yard dash, including a very good 10-yard split of 1.61 seconds, and his above-average speed and athleticism will translate well at the NFL level. The former high school basketball player only played six games in 2019 because of injury but has all four of the traits you look for in a pass rusher. I could see him producing at a rate akin to what Harrison managed as a five-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro. Zuniga is a good player.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Zuniga, if he had played in the right position this year (Rushbacker/ End) would have put up monster stats.

Apparently some NFL scouts agree.

Prospect Grade

WILL BE STARTER WITHIN FIRST TWO SEASONS

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PROS: Impressive functional strength for his size. Plenty of reps where he stuns blockers with his hands and anchors at the point of attack against much larger opponents. Blends that play strength with good pursuit effort. Once he gets out of his stance, he can cover ground and challenge offensive tackles to set roadblocks up the arc. Loves to dip and rip but also converts speed to power well. Has good good length and he generally does a good job of playing with extension. Has lined up all across the defensive line for Florida.

CONS: Can be painfully slow to release out of his stance. Too many reps where a general lack of awareness in terms of what is going on around him is revealed. Has to develop his vision and processing speed to play faster and maximize his athletic ability. Needs to develop and get to counters/ancillary rush moves quicker in his rush. Overall, his pass rush plan needs to be developed and deployed more effectively for him to achieve consistency. Way too many reps where he attacks body to body with fruitless efforts. Has to do a better job keeping his pad level down. Has no consistency with his stance which probably impacts his get off. Extremely tight in his lowers. Segmented mover with slow lateral mobility.

BEST TRAIT - Play Strength

WORST TRAIT - Processing

RED FLAGS - 2019 High Ankle Sprain

NFL COMP - Will Overstreet

Jabari Zuniga’s had some impressive flashes throughout his career at Florida but hasn’t been able to develop a consistent skill set during his time in college. While there are exciting moments of explosive releases out of his stance, play strength and hard-charging efforts in pursuit, he’s still an extremely raw player. His processing skills, vision and deployment of a pass rush plan are all highly inconsistent and his tightly wound frame presents other restrictions. His production against Power 5 competition compared to other games against lesser opponents brings deserving questions to the table. Zuniga has some upside because of his play strength, length and versatility, but he’s likely a rotational piece that needs to grow considerably to be more than that.

FINAL EVALUATION

The Draft Network

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Whether or not he’s drafted I think Swain will make a roster. Outside of the ones already mentioned I won’t be surprised if our others are not drafted. I think lack of Pro Day is going to hurt some guys that didn’t go to the combine

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Brandt has Zuniga as the #4 Edge in the draft:

• By Gil Brandt
    • NFL Media senior analyst

4) Jabari Zuniga, Florida

Pro comparison: James Harrison (84.5 career sacks, 793 tackles, 128 tackles for loss in 15 seasons, 2002-2017).

Zuniga posted a 4.64-second 40-yard dash, including a very good 10-yard split of 1.61 seconds, and his above-average speed and athleticism will translate well at the NFL level. The former high school basketball player only played six games in 2019 because of injury but has all four of the traits you look for in a pass rusher. I could see him producing at a rate akin to what Harrison managed as a five-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro. Zuniga is a good player.

James Harrison?

James Harrison was an absolute beast. Not sure how the 2 even compare.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
James Harrison was is an absolute beast

FIFY

This was from six days ago...

Screen-Shot-2020-03-30-at-1.15.01-PM-775x465.png

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I just don't know if he was productive enough. There are WR's like him all over CFB. He did have an excellent combine (his 40 time was legit and his 225 reps). He could sneak in the 7th round, and so could Cleveland. But again, there are a lot of similar WR's around CFB. I'm curious if Reese makes a roster. He's slow, but he's also a 'football player' - he's always around the ball and you don't make that many tackles in the SEC being a scrub.

You touched on it, but I just do not see it. He is extremely slow and reminds me a lot of Brandon Siler, minus the athleticism and quickness. Both good in the box players, but both were awful in space and in pass coverage. To Siler's credit his athleticism allowed him to survive for a good while in the NFL as a special teamer and back up. The way the game is played today, unless Reese has really improved his quickness, I doubt he sticks.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Dane Bruglar of "The Athletic" posted his mock draft today. Here are the gators who were drafted,

9 - CJ Henderson (Jags)
56 - Jonathan Greenard (Phins)
88 - Van Jefferson (Saints)
98 - Jabari Zuniga (Pats)
192 - Lamical Perine (Packers)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dane Bruglar of "The Athletic" posted his mock draft today. Here are the gators who were drafted,

9 - CJ Henderson (Jags)
56 - Jonathan Greenard (Phins)
88 - Van Jefferson (Saints)
98 - Jabari Zuniga (Pats)
192 - Lamical Perine (Packers)

I don't think Henderson goes that high, the others I don't think are far off.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's a 6'1, 205 pound corner with track speed. I'll be stunned if he does not go in the top 15.

I think he will go around 15, I don't see him in the top ten. Not with the amount of OL and QB talent in this draft. It's not about his physical gifts, but the talent at more "important" positions.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I think he will go around 15, I don't see him in the top ten. Not with the amount of OL and QB talent in this draft. It's not about his physical gifts, but the talent at more "important" positions.

The jags need a CB in the worst way. He is the only corner worth taking at 9. If the jags pass on CJ, he will fall simply because other teams have bigger needs. I don't like the pick as I don't see CJ as a pro bowl caliber corner in the nfl. I think he will be solid.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Here is a write-up on Van Jefferson in "The Athletic." Bob McGinn ranks him 11th in this WR class. That is very good considering the talent level.

VAN JEFFERSON, Florida (6-1 ½, 200, no 40, 2-3): His father, Shawn, has been an NFL wide receivers coach for most of the past 20 years after a 13-year career in which he caught 470 passes for 7,023 (14.9) and 29 TDs. “Arguably he’s the best route runner in the class, and he’s got great hands and he’s mature and his dad is one of the best wide receivers coaches in the league (now with the Jets) and was a good player in his own right,” said one scout. “You knew he’d have some of that stuff just being a coach’s kid. Van is not just some polished kid, an overachiever. He’s got serious juice. He’s got a lot more speed than I thought he had. He can break people off and get open.” Jefferson started 41 of 48 games, finishing with 175 catches for 2,159 (12.3) and 16 TDs. He was unable to work at the combine after doctors discovered a foot fracture that required surgery. “He had a really good game against LSU,” another scout said. “Just kind of thin. Not really a speed guy. He’ll be a good backup. Your worry about Van is this guy is maxed out.” Wonderlic of 12. From Brentwood, Tenn. “Interesting guy,” said a third scout. “Terrible quarterback, terrible offense, but did really well at the Senior Bowl. He’s got size, really good quickness and route savvy. He can separate. He’s going to be a really good pro. He doesn’t have that explosive speed so he’s going to slide. This guy really knows how to play.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here is a write-up on Van Jefferson in "The Athletic." Bob McGinn ranks him 11th in this WR class. That is very good considering the talent level.

VAN JEFFERSON, Florida (6-1 ½, 200, no 40, 2-3): His father, Shawn, has been an NFL wide receivers coach for most of the past 20 years after a 13-year career in which he caught 470 passes for 7,023 (14.9) and 29 TDs. “Arguably he’s the best route runner in the class, and he’s got great hands and he’s mature and his dad is one of the best wide receivers coaches in the league (now with the Jets) and was a good player in his own right,” said one scout. “You knew he’d have some of that stuff just being a coach’s kid. Van is not just some polished kid, an overachiever. He’s got serious juice. He’s got a lot more speed than I thought he had. He can break people off and get open.” Jefferson started 41 of 48 games, finishing with 175 catches for 2,159 (12.3) and 16 TDs. He was unable to work at the combine after doctors discovered a foot fracture that required surgery. “He had a really good game against LSU,” another scout said. “Just kind of thin. Not really a speed guy. He’ll be a good backup. Your worry about Van is this guy is maxed out.” Wonderlic of 12. From Brentwood, Tenn. “Interesting guy,” said a third scout. “Terrible quarterback, terrible offense, but did really well at the Senior Bowl. He’s got size, really good quickness and route savvy. He can separate. He’s going to be a really good pro. He doesn’t have that explosive speed so he’s going to slide. This guy really knows how to play.”

"Terrible quarterback, terrible offense." ???????????????????????????????????

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
"Terrible quarterback, terrible offense." ???????????????????????????????????

That caught my eye as well. As @g8r.tom said, that could be about the Senior Bowl. But, of course the offenses in the Senior Bowl suck for a myriad of reasons. So, why say it? I do think it is a possibility he is referring to Mullen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator