Gator Basketball Gators lose at home to bad South Carolina team to start SEC play

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And I haven’t seen a single pump of him, other than he has a good recruiting class coming in and he made the Elite Eight. Those are what I would consider incontrovertible facts as opposed to pumping.

Before the season began, analysts predicted that Gator basketball was on a steep rise. That made up White's recruiting appeal, that plus the wondrously joyous documentaries of our back-to-back boys. (Those recruits even mentioned that they wanted to return Florida to it's past glory.)

So far, it seems predictors and these recruits miscalculated. We're stuck watching White's 4th season faltering. Next year, we get to watch White's guidance of his fifth season: will he get too little out of this better class? Remember, the White process involves players losing abilities the longer under his tutorial. So, sure freshmen & sophomores will have to be the most effective team. The solid comparison is = have we seen White get the maximum from his players or is there another coach who could design & deliver better performances from those whom he trains practice after practice every day? Are we wasting players of good potential on White?

USCe has its worst team in years ... came in with a 4-7 record. UF pushed USC to a mighty 5-7 record. Still, we are not the deciders; White is, via his coaching results ... 8-5 and falling are his results so far. Pay attention to our record 5 more games down the road.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
You tell me? Between you and t and Marine, it’s been all pumping of White. I have yet to read a single critic of him from you all other than “in 2 more years....”

You are hearing what you want to hear. I have said he is not an elite coach. His recruiting has improved but there is no continuity in his half court offense.

What you do not want to hear is he not getting fired soon. He is likely here for a minimum of 2 more years.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is not a good season and White leaves a lot to be desired with how he's handled things. Many of our players--but especially our upperclassmen--are not playing well either. White ultimately bears responsibility for that, of course, but it's no real secret that our seniors especially aren't playing to their experience level or their talent.

He has a few really good classes coming in, so let's hope this season is a blip on the radar. Even Donovan had a few in his time here.

You are correct. Billy did have a few bad seasons but there were three significant differences:

- Billy inherited nothing while White inherited the entire team (x-Justin Leon) he took to the elite eight in 2017
- Billy recruited well immediately and translated recruiting into performance immediately (tourney in year three, championship game in year four).
- Billy had nothing to sell, no winning tradition and no fancy arena yet he made it happen quickly.

Other than that, the comparison is sound.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Billy was the best we ever had and I wish HE would return. However he had a run of early exits at one point and we had some similar discussions on the old board.

I am not opposed to to NOT firing White this year.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
You are correct. Billy did have a few bad seasons but there were three significant differences:

- Billy inherited nothing while White inherited the entire team (x-Justin Leon) he took to the elite eight in 2017
- Billy recruited well immediately and translated recruiting into performance immediately (tourney in year three, championship game in year four).
- Billy had nothing to sell, no winning tradition and no fancy arena yet he made it happen quickly.

Other than that, the comparison is sound.

I think you're forgetting that Donovan struggled after the 04s left; and then in 2014 after Young, Wilbekin, Yuegette left. Very similar issues to what we're seeing with White this year: no post presence, the most experienced players on the roster struggling with taking the leadership roles and scoring responsibilities, talented freshmen struggling to find their footing, etc.

Donovan is and was the better coach: but the point is that it isn't an exact science and even the best sometimes struggle.

White has a few solid recruiting classes coming in and what he's selling is registering with the blue chip recruits, so I'm fine with a bad season if he manages to turn those recruits into winning seasons like Donovan did. He's shown the ability to put forth a competitive team with NCAA tourney runs in the last two years, so can't say he's utterly clueless (even if I'm scratching my head at his performance this year on numerous issues).

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You are delusional T. First of all, you don't discuss P5 with Basketball like you do with football. Is there such a thing as P5 in basketball? The field isn't even the same with teams and their contributions.

Here's a name we should have gone after Archie Miller. His track record at Dayton certainly was far superior of a proven coach and his NCAA bids vs. Mike White. I mean at least Miller had an Elite 8 on his resume as well as another NCAA Tourney compared to White's NIT scrum.

In your next post you mentioned Musselman. No way anyone back east would have given him the time or day but this guy is for real. He's an amazing coach with amazing leadership, motivation and development. He's just not for the east.
archie miller and greg marshall were the guys i was screaming about and absolutely dumbfounded when fooley didnt even consider them. Total moron, that guy.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I think you're forgetting that Donovan struggled after the 04s left; and then in 2014 after Young, Wilbekin, Yuegette left. Very similar issues to what we're seeing with White this year: no post presence, the most experienced players on the roster struggling with taking the leadership roles and scoring responsibilities, talented freshmen struggling to find their footing, etc.

Donovan is and was the better coach: but the point is that it isn't an exact science and even the best sometimes struggle.

White has a few solid recruiting classes coming in and what he's selling is registering with the blue chip recruits, so I'm fine with a bad season if he manages to turn those recruits into winning seasons like Donovan did. He's shown the ability to put forth a competitive team with NCAA tourney runs in the last two years, so can't say he's utterly clueless (even if I'm scratching my head at his performance this year on numerous issues).

Yes and many of those teams that had issues could not solve a zone defense. They could not beat it in the cracks and were not good enough to force them out of it by shooting over it, no inside ability hurts as well.

That game was lost by not being able to break the press for easy baskets, combined with no senior taking the team on their backs.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
archie miller and greg marshall were the guys i was screaming about and absolutely dumbfounded when fooley didnt even consider them. Total moron, that guy.
Gregg Marshall wasn't happening. I wanted archie myself. He's kinda had a mixed bag at Indiana so far though. Tough to find a sure thing in CBB

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Gregg Marshall wasn't happening. I wanted archie myself. He's kinda had a mixed bag at Indiana so far though. Tough to find a sure thing in CBB
indy isn't what it used to be. Very tough to croot there. He may or may not have worked here but I think we'd be in better shape than we are with lil mikey

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
White's record at Florida.
21-15
27-9 Elite Eight
21-13 Elite Eight
8-5

Donovan over the same stretch.
13-17
14-15
22-9 Sweet 16
29-8 Lost to Michigan State in the title game

It's way too early to pull the plug but not too early to be concerned. This is not a compelling basketball team.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
White's record at Florida.
21-15
27-9 Elite Eight
21-13 Elite Eight
8-5

Donovan over the same stretch.
13-17
14-15
22-9 Sweet 16
29-8 Lost to Michigan State in the title game

It's way too early to pull the plug but not too early to be concerned. This is not a compelling basketball team.
White lost in the Round of 32 last year, not Elite 8.

He seems to have already peaked and going backwards.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Donovan did all that in his late 20s and first year or 2 of his 30s. White is 40 fckng years old, hes a man! He's been an HC a good while, and still blows. If he was gonna get it, he would have already done so.

OJT U baby

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2016 recruiting class was #69. That's the junior class. Not good. He's otherwise around #20, #9 for 2019.

I've got mixed feelings about his coaching, but I do feel we need to let this play out more.

If you thought it was tough in football, imagine being the basketball coach here.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wouldn't an HC of real ability have these guys playing better -- just playing decently?

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
My issue with Mike White is the long scoring droughts in games. They have happened multiple time throughout his time at UF. He needs to pay more attention to recruiting a real center not a power forward playing center. I thought Gaak would fill this role but he just awkward and needs coached better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator