Gator Basketball Gators lose to lowly UGA at home; White on hot seat

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus Christ, get off the "inadequate drilling" shtick. So you think White has them stand around with their thumb up their asses in practice? I'm 100% positive White teaches them to make crisp passes, just as he teaches them to get back on D. White doesn't teach them to drive into triple teams, he teaches them to dish when they collapse. If they had dished it and we took and missed a bunch of 3's, you'd be ***** about being a perimeter offense. You ***** when we drive, you ***** when we don't drive. You ***** that he doesn't play Stokes enough, then when he plays Stokes, you ***** when Stokes fvkks up.

Our best scorer is prone to long disappearing acts. Our best interior defender couldn't fight his way out of a wet sack, and against the one guy he matches up well with, he gives up a career night. Everything you described is on the players, not the coach. White's using the same drills now as he used with Cheese and D-Rob. Some kids get it; some kids have the fortitude to fight through; some don't.

Or do you think it was all Billy D's fault when his last UF team had a losing record? Must have been inadequate drilling leaving a mentally weak team, correct? Was it Billy D's fault when Brett Nelson went from a FR stud to nearly useless by his senior season? How about Matt Walsh never getting any better? Was it Billy D's fault Chris Walker sucked ass, or was it Chris Walker's fault?

I don't know if White will have as much success as we'd like, but I do know this mentally soft team just isn't good enough. You can blame White for that, he recruited the kids (Allen and Hayes were Billy's recruits, MW just got them to honor their commitment), but he's the same coach that took his team to an Elite 8 two years after Billy had a losing record. It's not the x's and o's, it's the Jimmy and Joes.
:lol: Nailed it.

The part that stuck out to me is he was talking about the Final Four banners and the National Championship banners. He said he asked about where the Elite Eight banners were and the answer given to him, we don’t celebrate Elite Eight.

Effing BINGO. Yet some of you Douche Bags like to celebrate White and his tiddlywinks Elite Eight.

You nutswing with the best of them. Props to you for that.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Watched with the family, nobody was excited - at home, or on the court. Looked like the team was sleep walking, expecting to wake up with the win without trying. I hang a lot of the blame on the coaching, White specifically. That was painful.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Been close to 24 hours since our loss and let me check.....yep, still angry. Carry on.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This was a black eye on whites resume here. No doubt. Next season is definitely do or die. I like the guy but losing at home to the worst team in the conference in a must win game is pretty hard to defend.

... and easy to dump on ... and I do. I dump on Mike White's Ga game. I dump on White saying "I've tried everything. I don't know what else to do?"
He's publicly implying that the players are uncoachable.?? All hail this new crew incoming. Hope they are coachable, so White can then start being a good coach.

I'm not saying fire White, but White had better transform his techniques, his attitude. He can't stay a good recruiter if he fails to teach players to improve. Still, if we can snag a better, much more effective result-getter then let's fire & hire.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I kind of agree with White Buffalo. The reason is tall teams beat regularly beat us and really talented ones sometimes cream us. When we do manage to beat one it's considered an upset. We do well against the common run of the mill teams in our league but that's about it.When you analyse each of our players at the different positions we really have no go to player in the back court who is consistent, our forwards are short overall and we have no center. Even Nemhart has liabilities with quickness. I think the freshmen can progress but only if we balance out the floor with some tall talent in the front court.

As far as changing coaches, I don't think so. Any extra money needs to go directly to our neglected football program where we can hopefully progress as fast as possible. I don't want to pay a fired basketball coach to be sipping margaritas on a Caribbean island somewhere. We pay enough coaches to do that now.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
... and easy to dump on ... and I do. I dump on Mike White's Ga game. I dump on White saying "I've tried everything. I don't know what else to do?"
He's publicly implying that the players are uncoachable.?? All hail this new crew incoming. Hope they are coachable, so White can then start being a good coach.

I'm not saying fire White, but White had better transform his techniques, his attitude. He can't stay a good recruiter if he fails to teach players to improve. Still, if we can snag a better, much more effective result-getter then let's fire & hire.
He's tried everything except recruiting a decent big man. Matter of fact, he ran off arguably the best big man in the ACC a few years ago. John Mooney would have changed the whole dynamic of this season. If we lose out idk how safe his job will be.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
[QUOTE="NVGator, post: 867869, member: 11"

The biggest of them all.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how calling donkey a girl makes me the biggest nutswinger of them all, but how do donk's hooves feel when he gives you the reach around?
DONKEY-BALLS-11-425x239.jpg

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
White will get next year to see what he can do but his blaming the players stuff is getting a little old when you see how they can't adjust on offense many of these games.

It’s getting really old to me too.
All you have to do to contradict blaming players is look around the SEC and see the dramatic improvements that several teams have made with coaches with only one or two years in the job with primarily the same players that got their predecessors fired
Then compare that to the regression of Allen and the flatline of Hayes

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well-coached teams find a way to work through valleys. My sense is White can't recruit himself out of this hole.

Gern Blanston

Banned
BANNED
Aug 27, 2018
I would give coach white an " a"
For coaching defense an " f" coaching offense and an " f " for trying to connect with fans and ask for their support like smart coaches like billy Donavan and coach Mullen did . He never even mentions fans in his post game comments .This has been the worst offense I've seen in 60 years of watching gator basketball . Next year it better improve by leaps and bounds . Scoring 55 to 65 points a game is miserable basketball to watch . The best teams average 80 to 90 a game and still play good defense .

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
On no, WE SUCK AGAIN!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A little different thought on the basketball program right now.

Every article I read about the team or nearly every press conference Coach White has, it seems that there is a constant theme.
That theme is White openly criticizing his team while taking very little blame himself.

Didn't the media used to criticize gator football coaches that criticize their players?

Why does White get a pass for throwing his team under the bus?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Seems the perfect time to list some University of Florida worthy HCs to contemplate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator