Gator Basketball Gators manage 50 points, lose to TCU

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Based on what most of us have seen from Mike on the offensive end during his tenure, that video seems a tad bit overpriced don't you think???????????

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
White is going no where anytime soon. If UF misses the tourney this year and misses it again next year, then White's seat would warm up. White is right in the middle of the not bad enough to fire, not good enough to get an offer from another program zone.

I agree it would be nice to hear more about what is going on with guys not playing.
If we miss the tourney next year and this year, hell be let go. I don't think even mike white himself would argue with that.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Based on what most of us have seen from Mike on the offensive end during his tenure, that video seems a tad bit overpriced don't you think???????????
Please, outside of Sean Payton, I've never seen a coach meet your approval.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The experienced coaches rated it a 1.67 out of 5.0. They were offered an exchange for better coaching videos.
They said White sounded disinterested.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
So last night I watched Hoosiers for the umpteenth time; still a great movie, but my main takeaway from watching it this umpteenth time is that even in 1950’s pre-three point line Indiana white boy basketball they could still score more than 50 points in a game.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So last night I watched Hoosiers for the umpteenth time; still a great movie, but my main takeaway from watching it this umpteenth time is that even in 1950’s pre-three point line Indiana white boy basketball they could still score more than 50 points in a game.

Sadly the movies are the movies and reality is reality and rarely "the twain shall meet. " It turns out that while Milan did score over 50 in a number of games that year, the championship game was Milan 32, Muncie Central 30.

I will say in Mike Whites defense, you often time have to win NCAA tourney games in the 50s to advance. Those a tough close fought nervous affair where offense often goes into hiding. So rather than worry about the low scoring as much, I worry that UF can not close out game they lead and in this case serveral times got the ball back with the score tied and could not get a lead.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
White's Gators are threatened by almost every team they play. They do not play like the right stuff has been drilled in in practices. Too many opponents apply more correct basics than we do.

Haven't several teams in the SEC improved while we certainly have dropped?
I was okay with the 37% 3-point catapults as long as our teamwork showed that White was developing them to play "whole" basketball working towards, drilling them at those 65% driving to score, driving to dish off to a big trailer for score, ball movement so fast the D is scrambling, stumbling to catch up, = all the basic bball other teams are beating us with.??

Plenty has been written about Hayes' clumsiness yet he's shooting 65.8% - all inside stuff.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Would we prefer NCAA where we go one and done, or NIT where we get a bit more practice in for the underclassmen?

Personally, I'm near done with this season at this point. It echoes too much of Butters' recruiting ("oh, we were so close, came in second again" doesn't work in a basketball game, you still LOST no matter how close). I'd be good letting the seniors get less and less time as we focus on developing the underclassmen for next year. This season will not bring us much joy.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Would we prefer NCAA where we go one and done, or NIT where we get a bit more practice in for the underclassmen?

Personally, I'm near done with this season at this point. It echoes too much of Butters' recruiting ("oh, we were so close, came in second again" doesn't work in a basketball game, you still LOST no matter how close). I'd be good letting the seniors get less and less time as we focus on developing the underclassmen for next year. This season will not bring us much joy.

Clearly you take the NCAA no matter what. This year particularly since so many players will not be on the team next year or will have diminished roles the NIT does little good in helping to prepare for next year.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I think this morning when I checked, it UF was 26 in KenPom and 36 in the NCAA net. So Lunardi might well be a bit pessimistic towards UF, big shock.
Do you really believe we're #26 or #36? :lol: We're likely going to have a losing record at the end of the regular season and may need to win a couple SEC tourney games just get into the NIT.
I guess I'm with Lundardi on this one - we don't deserve to be in the dance at this point and to argue with that idea would be silly. What has this team shown you that they deserve to be #26 or #36? Sure, they have a great defense; but the idea is to score more than the other team, not just keep them from scoring.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Do you really believe we're #26 or #36? :lol: We're likely going to have a losing record at the end of the regular season and may need to win a couple SEC tourney games just get into the NIT.
I guess I'm with Lundardi on this one - we don't deserve to be in the dance at this point and to argue with that idea would be silly. What has this team shown you that they deserve to be #26 or #36? Sure, they have a great defense; but the idea is to score more than the other team, not just keep them from scoring.

Yes, I believe that UF has had about the 26th best season so far as KenPom ratings shows. Sagarin has UF similarly at 30.

What I don't believe or really what I don't have confidence in is the ability of this group to close out enough wins to make these high rankings matter enough to get a bid. I suspect you share this view.

Another thing I believe is that the NCAA claims the committee will be using their new NET this year. So if they are telling the truth then NET if UF stays in the 30s, should help UF get a bid.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Sadly the movies are the movies and reality is reality and rarely "the twain shall meet. " It turns out that while Milan did score over 50 in a number of games that year, the championship game was Milan 32, Muncie Central 30.

I will say in Mike Whites defense, you often time have to win NCAA tourney games in the 50s to advance. Those a tough close fought nervous affair where offense often goes into hiding. So rather than worry about the low scoring as much, I worry that UF can not close out game they lead and in this case serveral times got the ball back with the score tied and could not get a lead.
That was pre-shot clock. Apples and oranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.