Gator Basketball Gators score 51 points in 2nd half to topple #1-seeded LSU

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Best ball movement on the 2nd half I've seen all season. They could make some noise if they keep that up.

Great win. White must have harmonized with his guys at halftime. But falling so far behind from the outset?
How does a good coach not have his players apprised, aware & ready for that inside game that UF just faced one week ago? When we get that far behind, gotta have luck to catch up and win in a one & go home game. This team should never have come in so clueless. Everybody battled to barely pull this one out. Whew !

Next game, don't fall way behind, please.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Next Victim!!! I guess that coach had nothing to do with our increased focus and better play, after all we should fire him.

In that regard TAM fired their coach today.

Let’s be real here. Coach White is a class act, but I’m not convinced he’s gonna make it. I heard he’s got some serious talent lined up for our next class. If they fit his scheme, maybe things finally take off.

Right now he seems to be forcing square pegs into round holes and we’ve lost games this year because he wants to burn clock in the 2nd half. Making the same mistake over and over doesn’t give me confidence.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Let’s be real here. Coach White is a class act, but I’m not convinced he’s gonna make it. I heard he’s got some serious talent lined up for our next class. If they fit his scheme, maybe things finally take off.

Right now he seems to be forcing square pegs into round holes and we’ve lost games this year because he wants to burn clock in the 2nd half. Making the same mistake over and over doesn’t give me confidence.

Good points, but perhaps losing one player to too many concussions, another to knees that apparently don't work properly, and Keith Stone being gone make a difference?

Not to mention a couple of seniors who have under performed most of the year. Coach can only do so much.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Great win. White must have harmonized with his guys at halftime. But falling so far behind from the outset?
How does a good coach not have his players apprised, aware & ready for that inside game that UF just faced one week ago? When we get that far behind, gotta have luck to catch up and win in a one & go home game. This team should never have come in so clueless. Everybody battled to barely pull this one out. Whew !

Next game, don't fall way behind, please.

I’m sure “he had them ready”. But good coaching also includes not panicking, understanding it’s a 40 minute game, sticking to the game plan and grinding your way back one possession at a time.

In fact, it’s a more difficult aspect of coaching. Getting them ready is mostly built on emotion. Preparing them for 40 minutes is effort and commitment.

White is coaching a team that cannot consistently impose its will. We are not big enough or strong enough. We lack steady consistent inside scoring and our best scorers are streaky shooters. We don’t have elite ballhandlers other than Andrew. Our Coach recognized our limitations offensively and focused this group on team defense. It’s kept us in the hunt thus far. I think had he opened it up and tried to go up tempo it would have failed miserably and our defensive focus would have been lost. Our season would already have ended.

He’s taken a lot of flak but it was the right adjustment for this group. I’m sure next season we will see more uptempo and a lot more attacking the rim. Adapting to your personnel is sign of good coaching.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
These Gators are just so tough, they don't give up, and they just fight like friggin heck. Defense especially in the 2nd half yet again was so physical and in your face. The offense was pretty dynamic to with set plays like the Neb to KJ alley opp which is a set play called by White. Really looking forward to that in the future as Neb and KJ have a great connection going. Our coaching adjustments in the 2nd half really showed out and our offense was very fluid as seen with the 51 points scored. LSU doesn't have a good defense and White recognized the weaknesses in that and we were able to hit shots and get to the ft line. Our 3 seniors have really turned it on here too which is great to see. Hayes huge again with heart and hustle with 11 points and 8 rebounds. Allen and Hudson combined for 25 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals. KJ stellar once again with 16 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals. Neb hit the 3 to win it on the set play by White. Neb had 20 points, 4 rebounds, and 6 assists. He is already shown he can be money as a freshman so our future is bright with him. Our guys made the plays down the stretch to pull out the huge win to get us to 19 wins. Our starters played a ton of minutes so our bench is gonna have to come through with some tough play and make some shots. Auburn is a team that likes to run and gun and shoot alot of 3s so we are going to have to be ready for that. Go Gators!!

Solid!!!!!!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Good points, but perhaps losing one player to too many concussions, another to knees that apparently don't work properly, and Keith Stone being gone make a difference?

Not to mention a couple of seniors who have under performed most of the year. Coach can only do so much.

I hope you’re right.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I’m sure “he had them ready”. But good coaching also includes not panicking, understanding it’s a 40 minute game, sticking to the game plan and grinding your way back one possession at a time.

In fact, it’s a more difficult aspect of coaching. Getting them ready is mostly built on emotion. Preparing them for 40 minutes is effort and commitment.

White is coaching a team that cannot consistently impose its will. We are not big enough or strong enough. We lack steady consistent inside scoring and our best scorers are streaky shooters. We don’t have elite ballhandlers other than Andrew. Our Coach recognized our limitations offensively and focused this group on team defense. It’s kept us in the hunt thus far. I think had he opened it up and tried to go up tempo it would have failed miserably and our defensive focus would have been lost. Our season would already have ended.

He’s taken a lot of flak but it was the right adjustment for this group. I’m sure next season we will see more uptempo and a lot more attacking the rim. Adapting to your personnel is sign of good coaching.

Coming from a frequent flak flinger, that's a great teaching post, Marine1. I never thought to give credit for avoiding panic. With patience, can't let the game-clock run out, though. You're right, almost every opposing team is taller than our guys. We've gotta recruit big players to keep competitive. But we've got to have a coach on staff that can bring out the "big man" specialized skills. It's too soon to put down coach Pinklin but I was thinking Hayes could have been more effective. Let's see what gets developed in 6'11"Payne who has played as a center. If Stokes improves, Stokes & Payne bring power and might turn on KJohnson's star-power.

For encouragement can we make it to the SEC championship game? Can we turn dangerous and win that tourney? Can we show well in March Madness so our freshman,will come into next year's practices, coupled with our veteran sophs chomping at the bit to attack, to win?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Corndogs trashed
Allegra in dumpers.

Gators stuck their winky dinky in.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Coming from a frequent flak flinger, that's a great teaching post, Marine1. I never thought to give credit for avoiding panic. With patience, can't let the game-clock run out, though. You're right, almost every opposing team is taller than our guys. We've gotta recruit big players to keep competitive. But we've got to have a coach on staff that can bring out the "big man" specialized skills. It's too soon to put down coach Pinklin but I was thinking Hayes could have been more effective. Let's see what gets developed in 6'11"Payne who has played as a center. If Stokes improves, Stokes & Payne bring power and might turn on KJohnson's star-power.

For encouragement can we make it to the SEC championship game? Can we turn dangerous and win that tourney? Can we show well in March Madness so our freshman,will come into next year's practices, coupled with our veteran sophs chomping at the bit to attack, to win?

If we had the big from LSU he would make our coaches look great.

Hayes is a great kid with a tremendous motor. He brings it every night and has legit leadership traits. But he has bad hands, cannot put the ball on the floor at all, cannot shoot facing the basket and has poor instincts offensively. He has struggled to put on weight and trust me they have tried to bulk him up. He does protect the rim, knows his defensive assignments and plays relatively good D considering he lacks size and strength. He works extremely hard in the gym and weight room but he simply is not a star player. The coaches have not failed him. They have squeezed everything he has out of him and he is playing the best ball of his life right now. I love this kid because he’s all Gator. But he can’t be coached into a star.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

:exactly:
Ive never agreed with a post more than this one. He has done an excellent job of coaching in spite of all that bad luck. When there was so much chance to lose a team he got them to play the only way they could to win. Bad azzzz defense and made the other teams play longer defensive sets. It shows at the end when we begin to hit shots and still have some spring in our step.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To win the game, with a 3 pointer, by a freshman to beat a top 10 team to get us into the tourney is something special. Go Gators!!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
To win the game, with a 3 pointer, by a freshman to beat a top 10 team to get us into the tourney is something special. Go Gators!!
You have the nerve to post this AFTER our loss today? More trolling. You're hanging by a thread here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.