Gator Basketball Gators squeak by lowly Missouri in closing seconds

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
So you think Gators would have won this game if we had firedCoach White at half-time, as was your desire? C’mon man, you’ve been watching basketball way too long to be doing the fire the coach thing every time the opposing team has some momentum, for whatever reason.
Probably lol. The offense in the second half was more along Wednesday and less of the dribble dribble dribble variety. We got more open looks and played quicker overall. No reason to start the game that way. Seems we do good when White controls more of the offense with this group...but he keeps reverting back every game

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Nobody has said we have shooters coming in, so I guess we don't. Maybe Lee or someone knowledgeable can answer this. If we were to play a team with two big men each of whom could score, how would we play them and what would be the likely result if they played a double post (high/low)?

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What are things can a team well-drilled do to enhance their certainty of solid wins ? I'll list my low IQ thinking, but more interested in smarter opinions here. =
1) correct poor FT% .... that got done ... how?
2) on court, constantly "want" to create closer-in shots for highest scoring per possession.(one of our lacks)
3) have ball-handlers that will use guys swift-sweeping near the goal
4) so, have guys wise about breaking clear underneath.
5) use 3) & 4) to continually break down the other team's defense = make them nervous & stumbley.
6) bigs make sure no shot comes down with them out of good rebound position. It's your constant duty.
7) dribble low-fast and advancing attack, break down the defense, break their confidence.
8) drive to make the shot &/or get fouled = which can be a two-fold +

At applying 2) through 8), these Gators do not look drilled enough in. The teams that beat us are more invested, more drilled to auto-pilot in such things, such BBall IQ. Slackness in doing these things will make us look less talented. What do you observe?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Noah has been playing injured for the majority of conference play. I love the effort , but his minutes could be managed a little better . I love the kids heart though . He’s giving it everything he’s got . Intersect tidbit wit this is Ballard didn’t even play today and Mike Okarou only played a couple minutes

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Nobody has said we have shooters coming in, so I guess we don't. Maybe Lee or someone knowledgeable can answer this. If we were to play a team with two big men each of whom could score, how would we play them and what would be the likely result?
Tre Mann is like Steph 2.0. Can hit from
40 feet away on a cross over step back

Scottie Lewis is probably more along the lines of Allen shooting wise, but consistent in high school

Omar Payne is a more like Joakim Noah, so dont count on it

Klatsky (forgot first name, Alex maybe) plays high school with Lewis and is a knock down shooter, not much else. Probably could see a couple of min if we need shooters on the court

Noah Locke when healthy is a 45% 3pt shooter

Andrew Nembhard is a 35-40% 3pt shooter next year imo

Keyontae Johnson will get to 35-40% as well imo

Stone who knows what we will get and when he will be healthy

I think shooting % wise we will be better than this year by far

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Was our inside per centage that high today.?It seemed like we got shut down inside today.

Being inadequately drilled in going inside the arc or further close to the backboard makes any team less profitable at such style. Overall the grind will favor the team with the better inside attack. Can't get better at inside play by capitulating that to take arc-shots.

Today =
inside the arc we hit 18-28 = 64.3%
from the arc we hit 3-15 = 20%
FT = 25-30 = 83%
That is us as just starting to properly respect the "truth" about anybody winning consistently by playing the only percentages that hold up consistently.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
More telling = we won it in the 2nd half .... when we shot 81.8% inside the arc but 22% from the arc.
I just want us to be well-drilled in playing the best % to give us wins.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Noah has been playing injured for the majority of conference play. I love the effort , but his minutes could be managed a little better . I love the kids heart though . He’s giving it everything he’s got . Intersect tidbit wit this is Ballard didn’t even play today and Mike Okarou only played a couple minutes

I don’t understand why he sits Ballard the entire game. He plays hard and tries to contribute so why not use the depth when Noah seemed to be laboring?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
HUGE win again for our tourney hopes. You knew we would have a let down after the huge road win @LSU. We found a way to win that 2nd half in a huge way outscoring Mizzou 40-27. Allen with 17 points, KJ with 13 points and 7 rebounds, and Hudson with 11 points and 5 rebounds. Our defense really took over in the 2nd half and we used a lot of great passing, screening, and moving without the basketball to get open looks and easy layups around the rim. We were able to draw fouls on Mizzou and keep them off balance with our offense. Those were HUGE COACHING adjustments for the 2nd half. Great Win! Go Gators!!

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
HORRIBLE call by the refs, foul occurred before the made basket so it shouldn't count. Should be a flagrant on Mizzou. We aren't gonna win this game, you can see it already. Mizzou D just too tough for us and we can't make shots. BAD loss for a tourney hopes which now bumps us down big time.

Huh??

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
that was in the moment like everyone else(see "fire white time" quote by lee earlier). Mizzou was dominating the game and we were down big at halftime. Thanks to another great round of White Coaching adjustments, we are WINNERS again. Go Gators!!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That 25-for-30 from the line, including 16 of 19 in the second half, accounted for the most makes in a conference game for the Gators this season. UF is now shooting 71.7 overall and a sizzling 77.8 in SEC play.

quote from At the Buzzer: Florida 64, Missouri 60 (Instant Breakdown) - Florida Gators

Shows that UF has been able to finish out and win games at the ft line...

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Tre Mann is like Steph 2.0. Can hit from
40 feet away on a cross over step back

Scottie Lewis is probably more along the lines of Allen shooting wise, but consistent in high school

Omar Payne is a more like Joakim Noah, so dont count on it

Klatsky (forgot first name, Alex maybe) plays high school with Lewis and is a knock down shooter, not much else. Probably could see a couple of min if we need shooters on the court

Noah Locke when healthy is a 45% 3pt shooter

Andrew Nembhard is a 35-40% 3pt shooter next year imo

Keyontae Johnson will get to 35-40% as well imo

Stone who knows what we will get and when he will be healthy

I think shooting % wise we will be better than this year by far
Thanks.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Can we keep the coach now? That incoming class makes it worth it. Continuity makes it worth it. MW ain't trash. Good coaching is mentioned nearly every game by the announcers....

On the other hand...
Finally realized the announcer most often used is Coach White's former boss, Coach Kennedy from Ole Miss. Guy is constantly lobbying for Mike not to get fired. IMO, We're a forward or center away from being a contender. We'll get there. Run Stokes, Run!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well I was traveling during the game today and won't watch it until later. Still:

1. This time of year it is survive and advance. UF beat UMo. No reason to look back much. But losing home games early this team is almost in tourney survive and advanced mode.

2. Nembhard is the trues PG UF has had since Wilbekin in my view. He is a pass first guy who has done a nice job of scoring enough so teams can not ignore him.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
We needed this win badly. Happy to see the second half surge. 8-6 in conference and a real possibility we go 3-1 in the last four, but LSU is gonna be tough. So even if we go 2-2 that's probably enough for a bid as a 10 spot.

I'm ticked we don't get another game vs the cocks in regular season.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Well I was traveling during the game today and won't watch it until later. Still:

1. This time of year it is survive and advance. UF beat UMo. No reason to look back much. But losing home games early this team is almost in tourney survive and advanced mode.

2. Nembhard is the trues PG UF has had since Wilbekin in my view. He is a pass first guy who has done a nice job of scoring enough so teams can not ignore him.

Nembhard is a truer PG than Cheese? You've got to be kidding.

Agreed on survive and advance. We looked terrible but won and now can forget about this game. Need to win these next 2.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This late in the season we're not gonna blow many teams out in conference play. Misery only lost to Kentucky by 6.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Nembhard is a truer PG than Cheese? You've got to be kidding.

Agreed on survive and advance. We looked terrible but won and now can forget about this game. Need to win these next 2.

Well comparing Frosh to Cheese as a Senior might not be a fair comparison. I do think Nembhard is a pure PG and will be one of the best we’ve had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.