Gator Basketball Gators vs MSU In the SEC Tournament

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
SDS has had a fine time putting out hit pieces on UF recently. Sure some of it is self-owned, but they seem to go out of their way to accentuate any negative line they can find on UF. Didnt see similar pieces on Nate Oats or Buzz or even Pearl. Such is life as a Gator these days...

Neil is a Gator and co-host of Florida Basketball Hour FYI. He’s a smart dude when it comes to bball.

While I appreciate his honest assessment of Golden, he sure had a soft spot in his heart for White which made no sense

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Neil Blackmon is a dumbass. Don't know shcit about basketball.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Neil is a Gator and co-host of Florida Basketball Hour FYI. He’s a smart dude when it comes to bball.

While I appreciate his honest assessment of Golden, he sure had a soft spot in his heart for White which made no sense

He might have been late to the party but I recall reading several articles from him calling for CMW to be fired for the last couple of years he was here.

I am not ready to turn on Golden yet but I am also concerned about the program.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He might have been late to the party but I recall reading several articles from him calling for CMW to be fired for the last couple of years he was here.

I am not ready to turn on Golden yet but I am also concerned about the program.
I'm with you here. I'm a little worried the program myself. It's not necessarily a knock on Golden because I think he's a good young coach but I don't think we had to reach here. I don't know why we didn't try to go more proven when we were hiring.
Anyhow, Golden was basically tasked with building an entire roster from scratch in one off season because that's the model Mike white had adapted to. I'm not sure if Golden is seasoned enough to rebuild or not. But he definitely wasn't dealt a great hand.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I’m just holding TG to the same standards he holds himself to is all :dunno:
Has he backtracked from his stated goals? Is anyone here saying this was a successful year? I haven't witnessed any coaches, players or fans breaking out the champagne. Right now, all we can look for are signs that we might see better days ahead. I think this team improved as the season progressed, but this team had a low ceiling.

I just don't understand this donkey style, broken record approach you've taken for a coach that hasn't been here a full 12 months yet. I guess nature abhors a vacuum.

I know there are coaches who have made an immediate impact in their 1st year, but that seems to be the exception not the rule. I agree that recruiting and staff management need to be addressed, though.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with you here. I'm a little worried the program myself. It's not necessarily a knock on Golden because I think he's a good young coach but I don't think we had to reach here. I don't know why we didn't try to go more proven when we were hiring.
Anyhow, Golden was basically tasked with building an entire roster from scratch in one off season because that's the model Mike white had adapted to. I'm not sure if Golden is seasoned enough to rebuild or not. But he definitely wasn't dealt a great hand.

Rebuilding an entire roster every year is just a new reality with the portal

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Has he backtracked from his stated goals? Is anyone here saying this was a successful year? I haven't witnessed any coaches, players or fans breaking out the champagne. Right now, all we can look for are signs that we might see better days ahead. I think this team improved as the season progressed, but this team had a low ceiling.

I just don't understand this donkey style, broken record approach you've taken for a coach that hasn't been here a full 12 months yet. I guess nature abhors a vacuum.

I know there are coaches who have made an immediate impact in their 1st year, but that seems to be the exception not the rule. I agree that recruiting and staff management need to be addressed, though.

What’s my approach exactly? It’s an honest assessment that this was a failed season and it needs to be better. Same as football.

If you can find a post where I’ve said to fire him or anything extreme in nature like that, I’d like to see it

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
My amateur analysis is simple- recruit on a high level or perish. He's not going to win big with lower tier players.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Rebuilding an entire roster every year is just a new reality with the portal
Transfers are obviously a huge part of it now but nobody is gonna be consistently good year in year out when 6 of your rotation players are transfers.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
What’s my approach exactly? It’s an honest assessment that this was a failed season and it needs to be better. Same as football.

If you can find a post where I’ve said to fire him or anything extreme in nature like that, I’d like to see it
Not saying you want him fired, though it sure sounds like it.

What I AM saying is that you seem to post the same basic thing multiple times every game, every week. And it also sounds like you're demanding immediate success from a new coach who inherited a dumpster fire. Maybe manage your expectations while he attempts to fix it?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014

I talk to Eric a lot and Malik almost daily. Pretty much Neil id put at the bottom lol. He is/gets zeroed in on something and has tunnel vision. He was one of the last to get on board with getting rid of White and has been stuck on Tony Bennett coming here ever since. The guy who's team scored 17 in the ACC championship first half lmao. He doesn't like Golden cause he wants Bennett and that influences everything he says

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Not saying you want him fired, though it sure sounds like it.

What I AM saying is that you seem to post the same basic thing multiple times every game, every week. And it also sounds like you're demanding immediate success from a new coach who inherited a dumpster fire. Maybe manage your expectations while he attempts to fix it?

I want the OC replaced, not Golden.

I expect to make the tournament every year, there was the talent to do it this year and we just underachieved plain and simple (large part due to Hovde). “Dumpster fire” is a huge reach but no point in arguing that point.

I look forward to huge portal gets and a much better 2023-24

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014

I expect to make the tournament every year, there was the talent to do it this year and we just underachieved plain and simple (large part due to Hovde). “Dumpster fire” is a huge reach but no point in arguing that point.

Wasn't really Hovde. Just had no creation ability at pg and sg which gave almost no options. That should be a focus going forward

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't really Hovde. Just had no creation ability at pg and sg which gave almost no options. That should be a focus going forward

I don’t really agree but I do hope you’re right. That said, who’s our starting PG next year?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

It seemed like Golden pushed out Applebees. Big mistake. Kept Jones. Begged Kawacie and Castleton to come back, but let Applebees go.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It seemed like Golden pushed out Applebees. Big mistake. Kept Jones. Begged Kawacie and Castleton to come back, but let Applebees go.

Ya idk what happened with Appleby but I would have loved to have him back. And hopefully our misses in the portal were due to a shortened timeline last year and now with a full offseason ahead he’ll have a higher hit rate

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I watched the golf tournament at a bar today with friends, one of whom is a Georgia fan. He lamented about us beating them, and I laughed and laughed about them being stuck with Mike White. And sparing us a buy-out. Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator