Gators vs Tigers Hoops Thread

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n155477 said:
Didn't get to watch the game tonight. On a scale of Dust Buster to Dyson, how bad did we suck?

11 amp shop vac.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Terrible game. Terrible lose. This team is just bad. I blame Muschamp.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
A long time since we were irrelevant in bsketball and football. That our best player DFS is hurt and not full speed. LSU looks like a very good tournament team. That white boy can shoot. They have great bigs sort of like Scales and Macklin years ago. Cwalker is the biggest dissapointment. I love the guy and see his heart but he is just miles away from what we thought it would be. Leaders???/ seems like none. This team is so patchwork it would take Solomon to bring them together. You have four from totally different programs transfered in. A walk on with the most smarts and heart. Guards that cannot shoot well. It is the perfect storm. In the words of that NCST coach whose teams were as gangster as any UM football team...... Never give up.........never give up.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
stephenPE;n155522 said:
A long time since we were irrelevant in bsketball
10eaMgt.jpg

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We are definitely having a down year from a basketball standpoint. It seems like Billy has not figured out how to reach these guys and our two 5* players have not really panned out. We have more talent coming in next year and some size, so we should be better off, but this year is going to be a rough one

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n155434 said:
He's made comments about how the NBA is intriguing. But I think it would have to be the perfect fight. Cleveland ain't it. By the way, hiring Blatt was one of the stupidest moves. When James decided on cleveland I thought it wouldn't end well for Blatt

I think he would make the move if they came calling after this season. That is the main issue with these top college coaches - they usually get stuck with an NBA team devoid of top talent and don't pan out because of that. If Cleveland fires their coach and wants him I think he will move on with Lebron James being there.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n155403 said:
Maybe because Billy's system seems to stress stingy defense and unselfish play and making the extra pass on offense (sometimes to a detriment). A lot of those ball-dominant, 5 Star McDonald's All-Americans don't want to play in a system like that. I dunno. That's just my observation. Maybe I'm grasping at straws. :dunno:

This is true, the best of the best want to play where it is all about them versus team.

In addition, keep in mind that the All Americans that "suck" are the kids from Florida. High school basketball in Florida is suspect at best. You know how we don't respect All American football players from the Northeast?
The same applies to basketball players from Florida. They are rarely as good as their peers from basketball hotbeds around the country. When you think of the All Americans that thrived at Florida (Mike Miller, Bradley Beal, David Lee, et al) they were from basketball areas while the disappointments (Walker, Hill, Patric Young, et al) were Florida kids.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;155871 said:
This is true, the best of the best want to play where it is all about them versus team.

In addition, keep in mind that the All Americans that "suck" are the kids from Florida. High school basketball in Florida is suspect at best. You know how we don't respect All American football players from the Northeast?
The same applies to basketball players from Florida. They are rarely as good as their peers from basketball hotbeds around the country. When you think of the All Americans that thrived at Florida (Mike Miller, Bradley Beal, David Lee, et al) they were from basketball areas while the disappointments (Walker, Hill, Patric Young, et al) were Florida kids.

Don't respect football players from the north east? What are you smoking? I get the Florida basketball talent issue. But the Northeast football talent is very good. Easley, Floyd, Harvin , etc.

The talent that we picked out of the Northeast has been pretty damn good for us.

Walker and Boynton or the two Florida talents the really stand out as being mediocre.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Double Gator Dad;n155871 said:

Patric Young was a disappointment? Sure he didn't average 20 and 10, but he was one of the best defensive players ever to put on a Gator uniform. He gave his heart and soul to UF for 4 years. 3 elite eights and a final four. Hardly a disappointment in my opinion. Plus let's mention Wilbekin and Chandler Parsons. They turned out OK.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n155900 said:
Patric Young was a disappointment? Sure he didn't average 20 and 10, but he was one of the best defensive players ever to put on a Gator uniform. He gave his heart and soul to UF for 4 years. 3 elite eights and a final four. Hardly a disappointment in my opinion. Plus let's mention Wilbekin and Chandler Parsons. They turned out OK.

The premise was "Why is it that All Americans thrive in other places and suck at UF."

First, Parsons and Wilbekin were not All Americans so don't know why they were even mentioned.
Second, understanding the premise, Patric Young did not exactly come in and thrive, he was more of a project so my comment was accurate.

Don't think for a minute I would diss Patric, as a 34 year season ticketholder, I view him as one of the great Gator Basketball players of all time. But he did not thrive as soon as he got here which again was the premise.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I guess you mean McDonald's All American? I assumed otherwise.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Double Gator Dad;n155921 said:
as a 34 year season ticketholde
I love when people do this. Kudos, your credibility was multiplied by 1 a million times for being an American Gator hero.
47d7e8ac66770c3dc0b9307eafbe2f6c.jpg

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This thread has stated that Young and Boynton were disappointments. I'm officially leaving this thread. Have fun, guys.

bonvoyage.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n155938 said:
I love when people do this. Kudos, your credibility was multiplied by 1 a million times for being an American Gator hero.
47d7e8ac66770c3dc0b9307eafbe2f6c.jpg

I shouldn't have referenced that. It is just that there has been a lot of whining about bad crowds at basketball games from people that never attend them so I had to get that in.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n155899 said:
Don't respect football players from the north east? What are you smoking? I get the Florida basketball talent issue. But the Northeast football talent is very good. Easley, Floyd, Harvin , etc.
The talent that we picked out of the Northeast has been pretty damn good for us.
Walker and Boynton or the two Florida talents the really stand out as being mediocre.

I am speaking in general terms. You mentioned two players (Harvin is from Virginia and Virginia is not the northeast) that were great but there have been gobs of them that were not. Most people on this board would agree that a first team 6A all state player from Florida is typically a better player than an all american from the northeast which is the point I am trying to make.

Not all basketball all americans from Florida are underperformers (see Vince Carter et al) but for the most part they are not as good as an all american from say NY or Chicago.

I thought my comment was pretty benign and generally accepted but I guess I hit a nerve or something.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n155899 said:

I wouldn't even call walker mediocre, he's just not a good basketball player. But boyton was a 4 year starter who's career average is around 15 a game. Boyton is a damn good ball player. Matter of fact we'd be a different team right now if we had a Kenny Boynton on the roster

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n155993 said:
I am speaking in general terms. You mentioned two players (Harvin is from Virginia and Virginia is not the northeast) that were great but there have been gobs of them that were not. Most people on this board would agree that a first team 6A all state player from Florida is typically a better player than an all american from the northeast which is the point I am trying to make.

Not all basketball all americans from Florida are underperformers (see Vince Carter et al) but for the most part they are not as good as an all american from say NY or Chicago.

I thought my comment was pretty benign and generally accepted but I guess I hit a nerve or something.

Making lots of friends, aren't we? :lol:

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it is time for Billy to loosen the reins on this team a little. Continue to stress defense, but otherwise, speed up the offense. They are playing to not make mistakes and it is resulting in making mistakes. Play good defense and look for the first open shot...can't be any worse than what we are seeing...

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Just think how different this team would be if Beal would have stayed 4 years. It would be his senior year. I know wishful thinking. And I don't consider Boynton a disappointment either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.