Gator Basketball Gators vs West Virginia

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Random thoughts:

Noah Locke is a far better spot up shooter than off the dribble. He should also retire permanently the runner/floater.

Durugi needs lift and arc on his shot. Basic physics at play.

Mann and Appleby are not particularly good passers and sometimes take ill advised shots. However they play far better without handcuffs on them. The looser they play...almost freelancing....the more effective they are ultimately.

The biggest difference between Castleton and Payne is fire and assertiveness. Far less difference in talent and skill. Payne needs to attack the entire game like he does dunks and blocks.

Fundamentally we still have defensive issues to work out....on ball D, rotations and pick and roll D. But we do have a very disruptive and agitating mentality. We get after it.

Ruzhentsev has been slow to adapt to the speed and physicality of the game but may get there by tourney time.

Osifo is showing promise.

Agree with most, but Appleby not being a great passer. He’s a fantastic passer

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The announcer keeps saying that MW changed his offense before the tinnerc game from dribble drive to getting the ball inside. If this is correct, it is impressive.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Watching the replay. Too busy today. First of all, phkkk the refs. Not a big "refs are killing us" guy but....phk the refs. Artis Gilmore Jr is pretty good but phkk the refs. Appleby needs to play more. Imagine taking away a 3pt shot cause you "think" a guy flopped. Hell, the ball was in the basket before the ref made the terrible call. When Mann gets on the court after foul trouble we see how good he is. White must be now thee guy to transfer to to jumpstart a career. Castelton is just the newest guy to flourish at UF. Scotty Lewis has at least one highlight a game. Usualy 2-3. Quez Glover is still my guy but Mann and Appleby are both REAL basketball players. Locke is the closest thing to Lee Humphrey in awhile. Castleton is a heady player and leanrng how to play tougher all the time. And his FT % is money. The white boys for WV can absolutely BURY a three and Fla showed their toughness at the end when they didnt blink and win it at the end of a close game to a good team on the road..........obtw White is coaching well (I like Mike) and phkkk the refs...........

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Castleton and Mann have REALLY developed under White. Castleton averaged 2 points a game at Michigan. I have watched film of him at Michigan. White and crew have REALLY worked on Castleton to realize his potential. Mann has such an array of shots and is a dynamic player and White has brought the best out of him and allowed him to play freely. White has REALLY changed the offense and he is REALLY coaching up these players and it has payed off huge dividends. The announcers mentioned that a few times during the broadcast. White really made some great adjustments after halftime, MASTERFUL coaching by White today no doubt. Love seeing White really coaching HARD on the sidelines, always shouting out instructions to the players and encouraging them.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Agree with most, but Appleby not being a great passer. He’s a fantastic passer

You’re right and he did have 7 assists today. I should have worded it better. There is some inconsistency in that he will force some passes. He also overcommits at times and gets caught off balance. But he makes some elite level passes every game.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Only caught the last 5 minutes of the game because I was helping out a friend with some demo work ahead of renovations. Happy for the win. As much as I can't stand White's coaching style, UF won at the #11 team's home court, and it sounds like it was 5 vs 8, even more than normal.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Watching the replay. Too busy today. First of all, phkkk the refs. Not a big "refs are killing us" guy but....phk the refs. Artis Gilmore Jr is pretty good but phkk the refs. Appleby needs to play more. Imagine taking away a 3pt shot cause you "think" a guy flopped. Hell, the ball was in the basket before the ref made the terrible call. When Mann gets on the court after foul trouble we see how good he is. White must be now thee guy to transfer to to jumpstart a career. Castelton is just the newest guy to flourish at UF. Scotty Lewis has at least one highlight a game. Usualy 2-3. Quez Glover is still my guy but Mann and Appleby are both REAL basketball players. Locke is the closest thing to Lee Humphrey in awhile. Castleton is a heady player and leanrng how to play tougher all the time. And his FT % is money. The white boys for WV can absolutely BURY a three and Fla showed their toughness at the end when they didnt blink and win it at the end of a close game to a good team on the road..........obtw White is coaching well (I like Mike) and phkkk the refs...........
I’m not clear; how do you feel about the refs?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Maybe you're seeing something I'm not, but I see no reason to mention Locke in the same breath as Humpty, unless you do it while saying "don't do it."

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014

"Phkkk the refs" really?

I expect better Coach!

:bananadance2:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
"Phkkk the refs" really?

It was late and all I had was the replay and a little mind altering liquid that shredded the walls of civility and restraint. Sometimes the filter gets modified since I dont have to song and dance with kids anymore. Restraint was paramount then but it was usually fun and wholesome. Too much home cooking it looked to me. But the lack of crowd evened it up. btw .......phkkk those refs.

I expect better Coach!

One thing I have learned in 66 years is that expecations and reality are not close friends. Maybe aquaintances at times but hoping for a lasting relationship between the two is a fools errand. I find that i am MUCH happier knowing now that lasting relationships can be a two edged sword. So I rock and roll along knowing that life is like a car lot. Lots of choices but eventually the warranties expire.

:bananadance2:

Last edited:

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Watched the replay and came away impressed. By far the best W of the year. They beat a very physical team despite the terrible officiating and Culvers best effort.

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014

Coach, you need to lighten up a bit.

You know what they say about 1 door closes, another 1 opens...... The ocean is full of fishes...

And yes, Phkkk those mountain grown Refs!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
First, let's scold our UF staff for leaving Jitoboh off the players' listing. Making a list; checking it twice.
I've never seen refs dialed into unwarrantedly actually remove points scored by the visiting team -- I think at least 5 Gator-points were erased after the fact. ?? We beat 'em anyway.

The big criticism of Mike White has never been about him being a side-court cheerleader = it has been a call for him to be an in-game side-court teacher of basketball. Immediately take out a messing-up kid, give him an instant lecture on what's wrong & what's better. Sit him thinking on that - not ruminating about a pouting coach. Now, IMO, these guys have shown the way; they have inspired their coach to work at teaching & inspiring his team of college kids. We could talk about Mike White developing lately. That, we all like. To that players are responding. Hope it will be a continuous no-look-back development shared by players and their coach-squad.
Keep the Go Gators - you're all enjoyable to watch and to root for.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
First, let's scold our UF staff for leaving Jitoboh off the players' listing. Making a list; checking it twice.

Every coach on the team should be slapped around for this.

A lot of hustle yesterday, much better ball movement, but then taking care of the ball needs to be the next thing. I think the inbounds pass that had to be chased down should be a wakeup call, not expecting the ball to be thrown to you also needs to be a theme. If you have the ball, there are only 4 other people you want to touch it and those 4 should have more than a little awareness. And then there are the times they tried to throw to Castleman over culver; well, there aren't words to explain that. culver is an outstanding talent who will play at the next level, why we kept trying to take advantage of him is way beyond my pay grade.

Again, I saw Castleman try to put the ball in the basket being guarded by 4, The next time it happened he passed it out to an open player for a 4 point play-maybe it was a teachable moment.

The type of enthusiastic play we saw yesterday makes the game exciting and will get the Gators deep into the sec tournament if it continues. But beating the refs has always been part of the game; anyway, most of their seeing eye dogs are down with cv19.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I've never seen refs dialed into unwarrantedly actually remove points scored by the visiting team -- I think at least 5 Gator-points were erased after the fact. ?? We beat 'em anyway.

The big criticism of Mike White has never been about him being a side-court cheerleader = it has been a call for him to be an in-game side-court teacher of basketball. Immediately take out a messing-up kid, give him an instant lecture on what's wrong & what's better. Sit him thinking on that - not ruminating about a pouting coach. Now, IMO, these guys have shown the way; they have inspired their coach to work at teaching & inspiring his team of college kids. We could talk about Mike White developing lately. That, we all like. To that players are responding. Hope it will be a continuous no-look-back development shared by players and their coach-squad.
Keep the Go Gators - you're all enjoyable to watch and to root for.
White yanked Castleton and he played better when re-inserted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.