GatorSports Message Board shut down for good

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good man...take the high road and lets forge ahead. I think it is cool to have a forum site...news can be found elsewhere. If this gets down to a money issue somehow, please speak up.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lot of Penis Envy on the other boards.....

:stickpoke:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They were looking for an excuse and they found one. I wonder how they will feel once the ad revenue they were enjoying through their forum drops drastically. It might have been costly to fix the forum, but I wonder if that cost would have been offset by the addition ad revenue that we brought in?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
They were looking for an excuse and they found one. I wonder how they will feel once the ad revenue they were enjoying through their forum drops drastically. It might have been costly to fix the forum, but I wonder if that cost would have been offset by the addition ad revenue that we brought in?
They took the Cowards way out!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
I read somewhere that ad revenue for message boards was minuscule and they all struggled to find advertisers. That said, I'm sure their online views to the actual sports page will take a big hit and their ad dollars, as well. Obviously, it was their decision to make, but I just can't get over the chickensh1t way they used a little bit of humor as an excuse. Man up and say we aren't willing to spend the money on the necessary upgrades and maintenance.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
Ad revenue can be minuscule, but when deal with mass numbers like during the football season. It adds up. There are people (like myself) who was only going to gatorsports.com for the forum, and clicking on links because I was already there. Now you are missing the link through traffic that way. Depending on how they set up the "Click" data, every time you refreshed or switched forum topics/threads would be more ad revenue. A single click is worth less than one cent, but thousands to millions of those clicks can add up to decent money on top of the newspaper business.

As far as how they when out, it's chickensh1t. Especially the fact they did the weekend maintaince excuse to cool people off before completely taking it down.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n492 said:
Free speech wasn't infringed upon. Not even close.

True, maybe I went a little far using "infringed" but our free speech was certainly inconvenienced.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave said:
Start by advertising. Hit the GV Sun face book page and see if they'll leave a message up to all former posters there. Don't post a link, just request that interested folks message you. Then set up a paypal account or we can have a bake sale or something.

Oh, and mod me so I can ban Law every now and then.
I second the paypal account. These scoundrels can afford a couple bucks.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n652 said:
True, maybe I went a little far using "infringed" but our free speech was certainly inconvenienced.

How so? You still have the ability to freely speak about Gator football and athletics at this site or any other site that provides the service. The Constitution protects you from being prosecuted and/or jailed for speaking freely.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Constitution protects you from THE GOVT infringing upon your free speech "Congress shall make no law....". It has nothing to do with any company or anyone else limiting your speech. That's really a middle school level concept but since our education system removed basic civics courses a few decades ago we 'Mericuns are amazingly ignorant. That's they we they like it I think, so they can claim this or that is in the Constitution (despite it not being there) and ignoring what is present.

Their actions had nothing to do with the fake email (or real email) from Bradgator, that was simply an excuse. We knew they weren't going to fix the forums, email complaints or not.

That site always sucked. Their software was worthless a decade ago.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n233 said:
Sid and phidelt are the main two complainers. :bwahaha:

Hilarious.

I'd turn off the computer before I joined Sid's board.

I do like the GC reporters though.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n1042 said:
The Constitution protects you from THE GOVT infringing upon your free speech "Congress shall make no law....". It has nothing to do with any company or anyone else limiting your speech. That's really a middle school level concept but since our education system removed basic civics courses a few decades ago we 'Mericuns are amazingly ignorant. That's they we they like it I think, so they can claim this or that is in the Constitution (despite it not being there) and ignoring what is present.

Their actions had nothing to do with the fake email (or real email) from Bradgator, that was simply an excuse. We knew they weren't going to fix the forums, email complaints or not.

I kinda hate it when you're right.:sadnanner:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n242 said:
They saw it, didn't like it, were shutting down many of their message boards anyway, and gave us the ax.

As often as the board malfunctioned and has done so for a DECADE, it's obvious it wasn't a priority.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n1056 said:
Hilarious. I'd turn off the computer before I joined Sid's board. I do like the GC reporters though.
GC has really good articles. But other than the insiders, their boards are snoozetastic.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
Law98gator;n1056 said:
Hilarious. I'd turn off the computer before I joined Sid's board. I do like the GC reporters though.
GC has really good articles. But other than the insiders, their boards are snoozetastic.
Congrats on getting your J back.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
Law98gator;n1042 said:

I kinda hate it when you're right.:sadnanner:
You should be used to it by now. :)

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
Law98gator;n1056 said:
:bwahaha: You've been Oxified!

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bunch of asswipes don't know how to take a joke. Hope they all rot in hell. But in the meantime nice job Ox

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw said:
Bunch of asswipes don't know how to take a joke. Hope they all rot in hell. But in the meantime nice job Ox
Gardner-Webb??

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw said:
If you are asking if this is Gardner-Webb, he was posting under GWAG on Swamp Gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member