GCMB Poll: Best UF play you've seen

Choose one

• Total voters

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow Jump Pass! Which one? All of them!

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
One thought on watching all these great videos: how goddang pathetic we are. Just sickening.

All the plays in the poll are great, as well the ones mentioned in the thread. I’ve seen just about every one of them (many in person, some on tv) and a case can be made for most of them. I voted for Johnson to Quezzie, not because it was necessarily the most phenomenal play, but because it was the biggest play in the best and most phenomenal game I’ve ever been at.

It’s been exciting watching all these old clips, but as Tay mentioned it also is a bit depressing. In these old clips you see the confidence and swagger that the Spurrier and Meyer Gators had. Sadly, that’s long gone. Hopefully, we can get back to that. Go Gators!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My first thought was to mention this one.

I wonder:

1. If there is a particular play of Wilbur Marshall against SoCal?

2. If there is any video of Wes Chandler's catch and run against Auburn

3. If one of Alex Brown's 5 sacks against UTn should be on the list?
Chandler's amazing catch and run against Auburn. I was there.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Didnt he have an eagle encounter right after the video stopped.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kerwin’s 2pointer against Auburn was the first play to come to mind to me as well. But the more I thought about it, I’m going with Terry Jackson’s TD run in the 97 Sugar Bowl. As Jackson broke free and romped to the end zone, I realized we had just won our first national championship. Not sure anything will ever top that.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with @Gator by the Sea that seeing these clips and reliving particular plays on one hand is thrilling and uplifting, but also riles me up at just how far off the tracks we've been lately. It was very difficult to pick just one that I saw when it happened. I selected Timmy's run against F$U and in truth it might not appeal as much to other fans, but it was against a bitter rival and signaled a dominance in that game that they could not overcome. Same thing when they played in the slop in Tallahassee, Tim had a run where he knocked a Nole tackler about 10 yards backward.

He wasn't the best QB we had if you compare his throwing technique IMO, but he was a great leader and probably the best college football player I've ever seen. His leadership combined with the cast he played with was a great four year stretch in our football history and I long for that same type chemistry to return again, but it's going to take a special player under center before that can happen and I personally think we are still a couple years away at least.

No bad picks on the list. Goal line stand against F$U in '91 is among my favorites, too.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with @Gator by the Sea that seeing these clips and reliving particular plays on one hand is thrilling and uplifting, but also riles me up at just how far off the tracks we've been lately. It was very difficult to pick just one that I saw when it happened. I selected Timmy's run against F$U and in truth it might not appeal as much to other fans, but it was against a bitter rival and signaled a dominance in that game that they could not overcome. Same thing when they played in the slop in Tallahassee, Tim had a run where he knocked a Nole tackler about 10 yards backward.

He wasn't the best QB we had if you compare his throwing technique IMO, but he was a great leader and probably the best college football player I've ever seen. His leadership combined with the cast he played with was a great four year stretch in our football history and I long for that same type chemistry to return again, but it's going to take a special player under center before that can happen and I personally think we are still a couple years away at least.

No bad picks on the list. Goal line stand against F$U in '91 is among my favorites, too.
Final down of 1991 goal line stand at 12:00.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There is no doubt. Reaves to Alvarez against Houston in 1969. Went to that game to see the Gators try valiantly against the #1 team in the nation. Smoked those cats from the third play of the game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Kerwin Bell's 2 point conversion was great, but not nearly as great as the best play of his CFL career.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Darren Hambrick’s interception return for TD vs. UGA in the Swamp. I’ve watched the replay 100 times and still don’t know how he stayed in bounds.

This whole clip is great (except the #@&% obligatory “Run Lindsey Run” reference) - play is at the 12:30 mark or so...

I'm sure Hambrick's first thought when hemmed in on the sideline was stick a fork in this return, but with hungry determination he plunged his way into gator history.

Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I voted DJ to Quezzie, simply because the unbeaten #1 Evil Nole and that fat **** of a placekicker mocked the chomp to the crowd and just taken what seemed to be the clinching lead, and we shattered their dreams, just like 11 months prior in New Orleans. In the video below, one of the greatest memories of Spurrier for me, and while watching the game live, I saw it then remembered it....go to the 3:00:18 mark...the jackass is mocking us, but then, look at The Master drawing up the ball play with Quezzie on the sideline about 7 seconds later.....also, I still enjoy to this day pausing the video at the 3:04:48 mark and extending my middle finger to two pieces of "echo of the whistle" human debris....

A play that is one of my all-time favorites is just more proof of how vastly overrated thin Chin Baller With The Large Forehead was as a player, especially at the collegiate level.....always loved how George slipped up his hand real quick around the 22 yard line with an "I got this" type of signal that no doubt would be flagged for taunting in today's pussified environment....

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
Bell ran right toward me on that play. I was so upset about the game that my mom took me for a walk in the 4th to cheer me up. I wanted one of those little footballs the cheerleaders used to throw out, so we made our way down to the wall in that end zone moments before the TD.

My vote is all of the above. These, and more great plays, fill my great play memory vault. However, this particular Auburn game is the genisis for me. Freshman in the stands on the five yard line, watching this ending unfold...then remaining in the stands cheering so long & so loud after the game ended. And players returning for an encore cheer...man that was cool

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
One thought on watching all these great videos: how goddang pathetic we are. Just sickening.

Yep and now we have yet ANOTHER coach saying the best play by a QB in the first day of practice was a CHECK DOWN for 6 yards. Loser talk even though the schedule will probably give him 10 wins this season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but then, look at The Master drawing up the ball play with Quezzie on the sideline about 7 seconds later.....
They had stolen our handsignals and audibles.

Corch signalled one thing, audible for that blitz, and ran another. That is why the CB bit so badly on the fake.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They had stolen our handsignals and audibles.

Corch signalled one thing, audible for that blitz, and ran another. That is why the CB bit so badly on the fake.

As much as the pass to Quez gets all the praise, there were also some less heralded plays by some much less heralded players in the final minutes that were huge, and make that game really special.

Harris, who’d been dogged for much of his career, took a great angle on Minor’s big run late in the 4th to save what may have been a sealing TD. We keep them out of the end zone 3 times and forced a FG.

Then on Taylor’s draw play immediately after the long pass, Karim, who was basically a bust, wisely avoids a block in the back on their DB, which would’ve killed the whole momentum we had. You see him actively avoid blocking the defender.

And of course, 5th year Sr., reserve LB, Thomas making the pick to end it, just caps the night. Beyond the highlights, lots of improbable plays in that game, given the players that made them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator