Generators

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Neat and clean. Nice set up. I would love to go off the grid so to speak. Pretty cool to how the two systems transfer based on supply level...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
How bout heat and cooking?
I kinda misspoke on heat. While I do still have the propane connected space heaters, heating and air conditioning actually come from three of those Mitsubishi units where the head is mounted inside and fan units are mounted outside. One on each floor of the cabin, and one for finished space inside the barn

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I kinda misspoke on heat. While I do still have the propane connected space heaters, heating and air conditioning actually come from three of those Mitsubishi units where the head is mounted inside and fan units are mounted outside. One on each floor of the cabin, and one for finished space inside the barn
Musta cost a bit to set it up that way but what a feeling of independence and knowing your ass is covered pretty much no matter what....I'm so over being governed, restricted, ordinance, regulated, permit bound, over taxed and basically being told what I can and cannot do....I truly envy that set up....

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Neat and clean. Nice set up. I would love to go off the grid so to speak. Pretty cool to how the two systems transfer based on supply level...
Yeah, it’s pretty cool. Also, if you look on the tops of the batteries, you can see the black tubing I used to make a watering system with hooked to a little bilge pump that pumps water from a tank that fills with water from a solar sill that fills with rain runoff from the roof of the barn. You can see the yellow regular battery caps in the bag hanging on the wall

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Musta cost a bit to set it up that way but what a feeling of independence and knowing your ass is covered pretty much no matter what....I'm so over being governed, restricted, ordinance, regulated, permit bound, over taxed and basically being told what I can and cannot do....I truly envy that set up....
With the 30% tax CREDIT, the entire solar setup, Mitsubishi units, and 22kw generator came out almost exactly a wash with what the cost of running power lines in would have been because I would’ve had to buy a small easement along with running the line and poles in 1.9 miles from the road. The other downside of running in the power would be granting them acces regularly to my property for meter and if a hurricane/storm takes down lines, I’d be priority #1...... billion for restoring.

I love it out there, just got home from hunting.

PS I’m really glad I found this in AL and not FL. Woulda been a MASSIVE pain in the ass to do what I’ve done in FL due to permitting and regulation... woulda NEVER been able to dig my pond bigger in FL.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
With the 30% tax CREDIT, the entire solar setup, Mitsubishi units, and 22kw generator came out almost exactly a wash with what the cost of running power lines in would have been because I would’ve had to buy a small easement along with running the line and poles in 1.9 miles from the road. The other downside of running in the power would be granting them acces regularly to my property for meter and if a hurricane/storm takes down lines, I’d be priority #1...... billion for restoring.

I love it out there, just got home from hunting.

PS I’m really glad I found this in AL and not FL. Woulda been a MASSIVE pain in the ass to do what I’ve done in FL due to permitting and regulation... woulda NEVER been able to dig my pond bigger in FL.
That just it, I'm sick of people telling me what I can and can't do with my property. I'll be visiting the City tomorrow to tell them they are being sued for damages to my cottage from a tree they wouldn't let me remove 5 years back. Broke the foundation, crushed the main drain and water supply line....I think I know what is best for my property.....
Sounds like you have found the ultimate solution. Screw city life...

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Finally in the pipeline to get a 50 amp plug/transfer switch installed. Should be about $250.

After all my research, I ordered this portable generator for $1000 at Lowes.
9200-Watt Generator - Champion Power Equipment

9200 watt continuous, 11,500 watt peak. 7.7 gallon tank, and the spec says you should get 10 hours at 50% load. This thing has stellar reviews across the web.
If I ever need it, the plan would be to run this during the day and my quiet, full sipping Honda at night. Hopefully.... I'll never need it.

How do like this generator? Had any issues with it?

I'm replacing my old 20yo generator in a few weeks (tax free week in FL) and I'm looking at getting this unit.

Your feedback is appreciated.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How do like this generator? Had any issues with it?

I'm replacing my old 20yo generator in a few weeks (tax free week in FL) and I'm looking at getting this unit.

Your feedback is appreciated.

I actually didnt buy it so I have no feedback to give. But if I were to get one, that's still the one I would get.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
So any particular brands/models of portable 3k-5k generators I should consider?

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yeah, it’s pretty cool. Also, if you look on the tops of the batteries, you can see the black tubing I used to make a watering system with hooked to a little bilge pump that pumps water from a tank that fills with water from a solar sill that fills with rain runoff from the roof of the barn. You can see the yellow regular battery caps in the bag hanging on the wall

I thought using regular water was bad for the batteries. :dunno:

From Googley...
The most common type of water used in batteries is distilled water. Other types are deionized water and water from reverse osmosis. Ordinary tap water should not be used because it may contain an excessive amount of impurities that will degrade battery performance.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I thought using regular water was bad for the batteries. :dunno:

From Googley...
The most common type of water used in batteries is distilled water. Other types are deionized water and water from reverse osmosis. Ordinary tap water should not be used because it may contain an excessive amount of impurities that will degrade battery performance.
Correct, but you missed where I said it goes through a solar still! It’s slow, but makes enough over time.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Digging up bones with this old thread.

We are looking at generator inverters to be able to run a few things in case of a power outage. Specifically computers and the refrigerator. Somewhere in the 3500w range. The gold standard seems to be the Honda but we have a Westinghouse budget. Sam's has them and they have a 30 day return policy. Let us know you're not a robot - Sam's Club
Amazon has it $50 cheaper but we can't return it.

@bradgator2 did you ever buy one? What do you think?

@Seedy

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I ended up buying the near silent small Honda 2k for roughly $900. It's enough to run a fridge, window unit, and any electronics and it stay at idle. Which means the 1 gallon tank will last about 11 hours.

The main downside is there is no 50amp outlet. So that means no well.

They have a campion you can link together for another 2k. But at that point, you might as well get their 3500 and get that big breaker.

I have no experience with the "knock offs".

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I ended up buying the near silent small Honda 2k for roughly $900. It's enough to run a fridge, window unit, and any electronics and it stay at idle. Which means the 1 gallon tank will last about 11 hours.

The main downside is there is no 50amp outlet. So that means no well.

They have a campion you can link together for another 2k. But at that point, you might as well get their 3500 and get that big breaker.

I have no experience with the "knock offs".

Thanks, the hope is to one day have another RV so the quietness of the Honda is preferred. 50 amp is not a priority for us. The price is hard to pull the trigger on being more than double. It sounds like a lot of people have generators that don't work after several years but they probably leave gas in them and don't maintain them.

Open to more input from others.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, the hope is to one day have another RV so the quietness of the Honda is preferred. 50 amp is not a priority for us. The price is hard to pull the trigger on being more than double. It sounds like a lot of people have generators that don't work after several years but they probably leave gas in them and don't maintain them.

I only run 92, no ethanol fuel through it. The empty after I use it. Cranks every time.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Try to buy only non-ethanol fuel for your generator, if you don't have a station that carries it try buying fuel at a marina. Lots of marinas sell non-ethanol fuel as "marine fuel".

Also, adding a fuel stabilizer is always a good idea.

I buy all my small engine and boat fuel at the WaWa stores around me.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Non ethanol and fuel stabilizer every time. It is always fun rebuilding a carburetor during a hurricane. I Want to upgrade to propane and add tankless hot water, but given the low hours of usage, it is hard to justify.
Also found out my fancy fridge would not run on my old generator, too dirty of power and the computer would shut down. Have a small Honda to run just the fridge. Need to upgrade to a bigger inverter style generator. But running the small one for the fridge and one light cuts way down on fuel. It will power a room ac if I unplug the fridge. Fire the antique up to run the well and hot water.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Digging up bones with this old thread.

We are looking at generator inverters to be able to run a few things in case of a power outage. Specifically computers and the refrigerator. Somewhere in the 3500w range. The gold standard seems to be the Honda but we have a Westinghouse budget. Sam's has them and they have a 30 day return policy. Let us know you're not a robot - Sam's Club
Amazon has it $50 cheaper but we can't return it.

@bradgator2 did you ever buy one? What do you think?for the win

@Seedy
Generac whole house(or in my case half house)for the win.....I also have a Troy Bilt 7000(10500)for the other half for some lights deep freeze and a 3rd refrigerator and such.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Generac whole house(or in my case half house)for the win.....I also have a Troy Bilt 7000(10500)for the other half for some lights deep freeze and a 3rd refrigerator and such.
Whole house would be nice but not what we wanted to spend. Went with the Westinghouse 3700/4500 watt inverter and the noise isn’t bad. Seedy ran it for 5 hours and put it away. Hope we won’t ever need it but thankful if we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb