Georgia is in shambles: Star linebacker charged with rape

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cade Mays’ lawyer is suggesting some real nasty split was due to the UGA coaches and says it is not due to the finger lawsuit. Per The Athletic article:

“In this case, there’s no value in being more explicit about what happened,” Mars said. “Being at all transparent about what happened would probably not sit well with Georgia fans anyway. Because I don’t think any of those Georgia fans want to hear anything that’s the least bit critical of their school’s athletic department or their football coaching staff.
I’m sitting in Atlanta right now. I’m not interested in trashing UGA, and there’s no benefit to doing that. And even if I tried to be very diplomatic about it, I’m sure what I had to say would not sit well with anybody in Athens or anybody that’s part of Dawg Nation. ... If UGA wanted to try this case in the press, I’d be happy to. But I don’t think they want to.”

74E0B98C-18E3-4D97-92EE-004AD97E54CE.gif

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Cade Mays’ lawyer is suggesting some real nasty split was due to the UGA coaches and says it is not due to the finger lawsuit. Per The Athletic article:

“In this case, there’s no value in being more explicit about what happened,” Mars said. “Being at all transparent about what happened would probably not sit well with Georgia fans anyway. Because I don’t think any of those Georgia fans want to hear anything that’s the least bit critical of their school’s athletic department or their football coaching staff.
I’m sitting in Atlanta right now. I’m not interested in trashing UGA, and there’s no benefit to doing that. And even if I tried to be very diplomatic about it, I’m sure what I had to say would not sit well with anybody in Athens or anybody that’s part of Dawg Nation. ... If UGA wanted to try this case in the press, I’d be happy to. But I don’t think they want to.”

Of course, the other side of the coin is that UGA through its boosters could also tell their side of the story and I’m sure the Mays family wouldn’t look good. Especially if he was receiving impermissible benefits, which as a 5* UGA recruit is almost guaranteed.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
UGA through its boosters could also tell their side of the story and I’m sure the Mays family wouldn’t look good. Especially if he was receiving impermissible benefits, which as a 5* UGA recruit is almost guaranteed

You're saying UGA boosters would expose one of their players was getting benefits? I think not.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You're saying UGA boosters would expose one of their players was getting benefits? I think not.
No, but I don’t think its beyond reason to think they might make the threat. He’s not NFL ready yet - that would be very scary for his future.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Interesting quote in the Athletic article that supports @Swamp Donkey ’s assertion that many of these issues are not NCAA issues - they individual AD office issues.

“In those cases that I’ve not been involved in, the written advocacy varies from excellent to pathetic. It’s all across the board, and that’s one of the reasons we’re seeing what I prefer to call ‘perceived inconsistencies’ in who gets a waiver,” Mars said. “Often times, the results that appear to be inconsistent decisions aren’t the result of inconsistent decisions by decision makers in Indianapolis. They’re the result of one compliance office doing an excellent job presenting the case on behalf of the student-athlete and the other compliance staff doing a terrible job.”

In Mars’ view, the fix is simple, and it’s one with plenty of momentum across the sport. College football needs a one-time free transfer for every athlete and it needs one “within the next few months,” Mars said.

It is an interesting take that highlights a bigger societal issue: its always easiest to blame an external entity instead of looking within. Is the NCAA jacked up? Maybe, but I doubt its as bad as it seems.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
They've just signed a 2021 QB commit that supposed to be the shyt and the grad transfer from Wake. So they seem to be fine.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
They've just signed a 2021 QB commit that supposed to be the shyt and the grad transfer from Wake. So they seem to be fine.
"Committed;" not "signed." And while I suspect he'll keep his commitment, early signing day is still a long way away. A lot can happen.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@billyliucci: SOURCE(S): Texas A&M tabs former Georgia OC James Coley as TEs coach. Big-time addition to Jimbo Fisher's Aggie staff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
@billyliucci: SOURCE(S): Texas A&M tabs former Georgia OC James Coley as TEs coach. Big-time addition to Jimbo Fisher's Aggie staff.
Oh they FIRED Coley? I thought they just demoted him for running the offense that Kirby Duncechump wanted.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The DC last year is the head coach at Colorado
I meant to say “offensive”. I know all about Mel Tucker. It will be interesting to see how he pans out. He made a lot of changes here but not sure it will work out. Recruiting has gotten better but there is a sense that his decision making let a lot of talent regress this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.