Get ready Gators

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If he can pull a 5th ranked SEC recruiting class I will be mildly surprised and at least can say he bought some time to see if he can get the offense corrected in 2017.

If he can close real strong and pull a 4th ranked SEC recruiting class it will be a huge boost psychologically at least.

If he pulls a 6th ranked SEC recruiting class or lower (especially if its about there even looking at the numbers averaging star quality and total numbers) he is pretty much a dead man walking as far as being here past 2018.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
drunk-man.jpg

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Get ready gators, our football team is about to close STRONG on signing day. We have so many top prospects visiting and guys cb'd to us. We will end up with a great class addressing our positions of need and gain much needed depth at EVERY position. It's great to have a head coach who understands what needs to be done and has the foresight to fix problems when they arise instead of meandering around doing nothing.

It is good to see a bit of optimism around here. I did notice that the current commitments breakdown:

QB: Allen
RB: M. Davis
WR: TONEY, Green
TE: GAMBLE, Byrd
OL: TELFORT, Moore
DL: CAMPBELL, Carter
LB: HOUSTON, Miller
DB: Blades, Wilson, S.Davis

with the early enrollees in all caps. Notice UF has two enrollees or commitments in each multi-player group, WR, OL, DL, LB and DB. To me this is a smart way to recruit allowing you to wait out the late announcers while at least having some players in each group. Now certainly what I will call the "Donkey" critic holds and there is a worry at some position groups like DL that UF get enough defensive tackles or at DB UF has enough CB prospects. Still balance in commitments heading into the recruiting stretch run is a good thing. It means you are likely not to get shut out in any position of need.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
recruiting stretch run is a good thing.

The stretch run should be done already. Most of the best classes are pretty much locked up. This is a lot of leftovers.

Guess how many of the top 50 are not committed right now? Six. So that's roughly 12%.

Again, I hope he gets some dudes for the next guy.

Last edited:

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I understand some of the fears, but from an overall roster management viewpoint Mac is covering all the bases. He's creating a balanced program, not lopsided to either offense or defense alone. This is hugely important because Muschamp did get some 5 stars, BUT where was the depth when they got tired? The answer is that there was very little depth at all. You can have every position be a 5 star but if there are no backups behind them you can rotate in you'll run out of steam quickly to the teams like Bama etc. When you look at our championship teams we had great depth and staters. But when our starters got tired we had quality backups who gave very good reps. I remember that dline of Moss and harvey in 06' and that really won us that OSU game because we could rotate in different guys who didn't miss a beat.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The stretch run should be done already. Most of the best classes are pretty much locked up. This is a lot of leftovers.

Guess how many of the top 50 are not committed right now? Six. So that's roughly 12%.

Again, I hope he gets some dudes for the next guy.

Well UF has 15 commitments/enrollees. UF apparently thinks it has room for 8 or 9 or so more. UF is waiting on the decisions of

QB: none
RB: maybe Lemons
WR: Martin, Robinson, Ruggs
TE: none
OL: Gray, Herbert, Slaton (also DL)
DL: Conliffe, Bra. Grady, Bre. Grady, Ray, Slaton (OL), Truesdale,
LB: L. Jones, N. Smith
DB: Henderson, Stewart

That is 16 guys for those spots. And there may be other uncommitted guys or committed guys that UF will get in on. So for UF it is still the stretch run.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Well UF has 15 commitments/enrollees. UF apparently thinks it has room for 8 or 9 or so more. UF is waiting on the decisions of

That is 16 guys for those spots. And there may be other uncommitted guys or committed guys that UF will get in on. So for UF it is still the stretch run.
Yep. That lb/dl from texas Chaisson is also scheduled to visit. He's a 4 star btw. Also, any of Chaisson, JOnes, or Smith would be great for this class. Love all three of their sizes for lb.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Again, this should NOT be the case. We should be putting the icing on the cake not taking it out of the oven. Mac is again way behind the eight ball. He's always two steps slow. We'll get some kids as there's only so many schools but it'll be another below average class for us.

Welcome to the NEW status quo.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Again, this should NOT be the case. We should be putting the icing on the cake not taking it out of the oven. Mac is again way behind the eight ball. He's always two steps slow. We'll get some kids as there's only so many schools but it'll be another below average class for us.

Welcome to the NEW status quo.

And how do you know UF is not putting the icing on the recruiting cake? How do you know that Henderson, Herbert, Robinson, Slaton and Stewart and not nonpublic commitments and the staff is rounding out the last 3 to 5 players and deciding how many UF can take.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And how do you know UF is not putting the icing on the recruiting cake? How do you know that Henderson, Herbert, Robinson, Slaton and Stewart and not nonpublic commitments and the staff is rounding out the last 3 to 5 players and deciding how many UF can take.

I do hope that is the case, but I also have to wonder... why would we have nonpublic commitments at this time?

It seems to me that we need the PUBLIC commitments and momentum that brings! I don't see the point of having nonpublic commitments and would have to question why McElwain would be using that strategy.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

WE DON'T KNOW!

WE DON'T KNOW!

WE DON'T KNOW!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I do hope that is the case, but I also have to wonder... why would we have nonpublic commitments at this time?

It seems to me that we need the PUBLIC commitments and momentum that brings! I don't see the point of having nonpublic commitments and would have to question why McElwain would be using that strategy.

Well you might have non-public commitments for a number of reasons:

1. Players personal preference. Remember Stokes in basketball wanted to wait until he could announce in front of his 9 year old sister at Christmas like his brother did with him. Of course some jerk at another school he told he was not coming leaked this. Some players have a high school ceremony they are waiting on.

2. Out of state players (and some might include the So Florida area) might suffer less pressure if they do not announce for else where until the last minute.

3. Maybe UF wants to create some signing day and post signing day momentum.

I do understand the desire for building momentum now. I would love to see a couple of guys announce this week. But I am a fan, not a decision maker in all this. Do you not also expect those 5 players I listed or the equivalent to come to UF?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well you might have non-public commitments for a number of reasons:

1. Players personal preference. Remember Stokes in basketball wanted to wait until he could announce in front of his 9 year old sister at Christmas like his brother did with him. Of course some jerk at another school he told he was not coming leaked this. Some players have a high school ceremony they are waiting on.

2. Out of state players (and some might include the So Florida area) might suffer less pressure if they do not announce for else where until the last minute.

3. Maybe UF wants to create some signing day and post signing day momentum.

I do understand the desire for building momentum now. I would love to see a couple of guys announce this week. But I am a fan, not a decision maker in all this. Do you not also expect those 5 players I listed or the equivalent to come to UF?

I do think it is probably that those 5 players sign with Florida, but that certainly is not enough to give us even a good class. We need to sign at a minimum 8 more and really we need about 10 more players. From what I am hearing it is likely going to be 8...

So lets look at those..

Henderson - In State Player - likely to UF, but took an unofficial to Miami and recently went to Miami... not a lock
Robinson - In State Player - likely to UF, but also going to Ohio State...
Hebert - In State Player - De-committed from Michigan... likely to UF, but Miami also in the works.
Slaton - In State Player - sounds like UF is leading... he would be a big get
Stewart - Out of State (LA) - likely to UF, but LSU is always a threat for players in LA

So 4/5 are not in-state. I definitely get that players could want the attention, but I also think coaches should be able to convince them of the value of committing... especially this close. Now if they are truly already "silent" then hopefully they are talking to other recruits, etc..., but a public commitment looks a lot better... doesn't it?

Oh... and if we lose Blades we need to get 9 more...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What is post signing day momentum and what is its purpose?

And people wonder why I am the way I am sometimes.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
4224 might be one of the best troll artists we've had on this board :lol:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I understand some of the fears, but from an overall roster management viewpoint Mac is covering all the bases. He's creating a balanced program, not lopsided to either offense or defense alone. This is hugely important because Muschamp did get some 5 stars, BUT where was the depth when they got tired? The answer is that there was very little depth at all. You can have every position be a 5 star but if there are no backups behind them you can rotate in you'll run out of steam quickly to the teams like Bama etc. When you look at our championship teams we had great depth and staters. But when our starters got tired we had quality backups who gave very good reps. I remember that dline of Moss and harvey in 06' and that really won us that OSU game because we could rotate in different guys who didn't miss a beat.

Muschamp had the defense down its just his blue chippers (especially the skill positions of QB and WR) on offense didn't work out for the most part either due to lack of development or lack of talent or a combination of both. He also thought you didn't need many O linemen in his last classes for some reason.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Get ready gators, our football team is about to close STRONG on signing day. We have so many top prospects visiting and guys cb'd to us. We will end up with a great class addressing our positions of need and gain much needed depth at EVERY position. It's great to have a head coach who understands what needs to be done and has the foresight to fix problems when they arise instead of meandering around doing nothing.
Let's hope so!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator