Getting to know Luke Del Rio

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There will be a new QB at the helm in 2016, so let's meet one of the new contenders today:

Junior year HS highlights:

Fluff piece:

He doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but the accuracy is there and he goes through his progressions. He isn't going to run for many first downs, but he's mobile in the pocket and has good pocket awareness. Our receivers have been open all year, if he can get them the football we'll do just fine with him at QB.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Good news!

While a stud, Heisman-level QB would be fantastic, I think what you just described would create plenty of offense under Mac. Did McElroy or McCarron get drafted #1? Nope, yet their offensive production was enough to win national titles. I'd love to see Del Rio show that level of game management and accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some of our players and recruits seem to be turning up the heat on Haskins after the Grier news. Oh, what a luxury it would be do get Franks and Haskins in the same cycle. Don't know if he is legitimately interested or not, but he seems to have a good relationship with a lot of our guys. Come down to Gainesville, Dwayne!

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
There will be a new QB at the helm in 2016, so let's meet one of the new contenders today:

Junior year HS highlights:

Fluff piece:

He doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but the accuracy is there and he goes through his progressions. He isn't going to run for many first downs, but he's mobile in the pocket and has good pocket awareness. Our receivers have been open all year, if he can get them the football we'll do just fine with him at QB.

Agree, nice accuracy, nice touch on the ball, but not a lot of velocity on the ball, but they aren't ducks either.

I guess the question and concern I have is he obviously wasn't good enough to be out the likes of Coker at Bama. Coker is respectable but not all world.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another freshman (Haskins) isn't the answer. We need a QB that has seen action. He doesn't need to be great, just be able to manage the team.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Is Del Rio the one that Shane Mathews said would have started this year if eligible?

3* committed to Ok State in 2012.

Being rich and not needing a scholarship he walked on at Alabama in 2013 and redshirted. To play for Lane? (Edit: Nuss was the QB coach).

Transferred to Oregon St in 2014. Took backup snaps and was unremarkable in the three games he played. He decided to transfer because new staff went spread.

Transferred to Florida and sat out 2015. Has three years of eligibility.

Our staff is so high on him that it scared off future Heisman QB Will Grier.

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sophomore Anderson Proctor will be the starter at QB next year. Book it!!!

L8erG8er

Nov 29, 2015
I'll always support any Gator but the fact that this is the QB that Gator Nation is relying on is really concerning. I had the chance to watch him up close and personal on the camp circuit in High School and he left the impression most places he went that he was there because of his last name. He had a very odd release and below average arm strength. Things can change in 3 years and I really hope they have and he's successful. I can say you wouldn't have looked at him and thought Division 1 QB, especially not for the Florida Gators.

rockinchair

Dec 11, 2015
Another freshman (Haskins) isn't the answer. We need a QB that has seen action. He doesn't need to be great, just be able to manage the team.

Agreed.

Alabama is in the CFB Playoff with Jake Coker, who never impressed me at all throughout the season. His best throws were toss ups and Bamas receivers made plays. Guy was a leader, though, and managed the team and game well.

As others have mentioned, we just need a serviceable QB, anything more than that is a bonus. Our receivers have been open all year, just need a QB to hit them with some consistency. With Thompson, Scarlett, and Cronkrite in the backfield, and Callaway, Powell, Goolsby, and hopefully NCM, and an improved offensive line, we should have a much better offense in 2016.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree, nice accuracy, nice touch on the ball, but not a lot of velocity on the ball, but they aren't ducks either.

I guess the question and concern I have is he obviously wasn't good enough to be out the likes of Coker at Bama. Coker is respectable but not all world.

He wasn't with Coker at Bama. Coker is a transfer from FSU.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Question - do you think he can find the open WR better than Harris?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I'll always support any Gator but the fact that this is the QB that Gator Nation is relying on is really concerning. I had the chance to watch him up close and personal on the camp circuit in High School and he left the impression most places he went that he was there because of his last name. He had a very odd release and below average arm strength. Things can change in 3 years and I really hope they have and he's successful. I can say you wouldn't have looked at him and thought Division 1 QB, especially not for the Florida Gators.

Keep in mind a couple of things:

1. Del Rio is viewed as a temporary solution unless he surprises us, or until Franks is ready to play.

2. You appear to be a troll.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
re: Open receivers

Might have been open because the db's weren't concerned about covering them.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watching the highlights, he is under pressure a lot. Good. He is prepared.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I need to remind everyone what Spurrier did with Matthews, which was magic because the kid never had the measureables. I think this coaching staff can get the most out of a guy who's a relatively good fit. Treon wasn't, Del Rio is. Beyond that, I think we need to resolve that next season may not show improvement on paper due to extenuating circumstances. We're on the right path, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.