Give Emmitt a statue

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Want to see something even funnier? The 1990 draft. Some real cheese on that plate, esp Jeff George at #1 and Keith McCants at #4.

And so you ask, how could Emmitt freaking Smith slide that far down the list? Easy. Scouts often put too much in measurables. Smith was seen as too small, too slow to go higher.

McCants was an example of a guy with all the physical tools. I don't think he made it to his fifth year. Too small to play the edge, not fast enough at OLB, dumb as a box of rocks. A Ray Perkins pet project out of Alabama.
86785b7766074bf0af584413e1bfde4f.jpg

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
If you have to trash Tim to make your point, you've lost. And you certainly are not living up to your screen name.
You say that like I had a chance to win this argument. You obviously haven't read the whole thread. I suggest you start with the last couple of pages.
I'm puzzled as to why you're not concerned with the beating Emmitt has taken here, his a$$ can feel it all the way in Texas I'm sure.:lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Frankly, the "young black men need a role model" thing is silly too because there aren't any YOUNG black men who remember Emmitt.

I'd be more likely to support a statue of Chris Leak, championship game MVP. You want a statue? Go win something.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You say that like I had a chance to win this argument. You obviously haven't read the whole thread. I suggest you start with the last couple of pages.
I'm puzzled as to why you're not concerned with the beating Emmitt has taken here, his a$$ can feel it all the way in Texas I'm sure.
. 061113_dancing_smith_hmed4p.today-inline-large.jpeg

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I can assure you that there is no fvkking way I don dwag gear for ANYONE, no matter how close the relationship.

True story.

I pissed off the squaw today at Target. She wouldn’t talk to me for a couple of hours.

She had a pack of underwear for me in the cart, but I saw that while they were gray boxer briefs, the waistband was red and black, and said I wouldn’t wear them. She said I was being ridiculous - nobody is going to see them. I said “I don’t give a damn, I’m not wearing them. It’s like you don’t even know me.” She threw them on the closest shelf and stomped off.

I mean....seriously. WTF was she thinking?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
True story.

I pissed off the squaw today at Target. She wouldn’t talk to me for a couple of hours.

She had a pack of underwear for me in the cart, but I saw that while they were gray boxer briefs, the waistband was red and black, and said I wouldn’t wear them. She said I was being ridiculous - nobody is going to see them. I said “I don’t give a damn, I’m not wearing them. It’s like you don’t even know me.” She threw them on the closest shelf and stomped off.

Gonna train em somehow.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
True story.

You let your wife buy clothes for you? I had a friend with a wife who thought that was part of her job, he made a deal buy whatever you want but if I don't like it or so it goes back. She got tired of taking stuff back. Issue solved.

Gator4Life

Known as A Member.
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2018
Emmitt was a great player but he has not been a good ambassador for UF over the years!! I lost my Gator love for him years ago when he made the comment that he wished he'd gone to Ala instead of Fl !! And then the H.O.F speech then the cherry on to the pic in the UGA wear was the endHe was and always will be a GREAT football player but not a great UF ambassador!!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yards aren't everything. Barry Sanders isn't even in the Top 5 of backs I would want to play for me in a big game. Those are the backs you want to consistently move the chains and if you get a lead, wear down the defense. Barry Sanders led the NFL in carries for losses every single year. I'd take backs like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith in a game like that every time over Sanders.

Also helps Sanders played against Nickel and Dime packages most of his career... Not 7 or 8 guys in the box knowing he was going to get it. Sanders was pulled out of short yardage packages.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You let your wife buy clothes for you? I had a friend with a wife who thought that was part of her job, he made a deal buy whatever you want but if I don't like it or so it goes back. She got tired of taking stuff back. Issue solved.

My wife buys almost all of my clothes. If I don’t like it, she returns it, but most of what she picks out for me meets my approval (and hers). She’s my personal shopper and doesn’t kill the bank either.

Bottom line - I DON’T WASTE MY TIME SHOPPING FOR CLOTHES!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
My wife buys almost all of my clothes. If I don’t like it, she returns it, but most of what she picks out for me meets my approval (and hers). She’s my personal shopper and doesn’t kill the bank either.

Bottom line - I DON’T WASTE MY TIME SHOPPING FOR CLOTHES!

Good for you, my wife would spend way more than I do and when she actually shopped had a process that said buy all you might want and take back that which did not fit. She almost never when she was working paid any attention to how much she was spending. Recently we had a wedding to go to, I had to subsidize her and now she owes me 200 from last month. You are very lucky. And being retired I have plenty of time to shop, usually at Kohls with an additional 30% off.

I get shirts, shorts and bathing suits for many times 5 per item, sometimes less.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Good for you, my wife would spend way more than I do and when she actually shopped had a process that said buy all you might want and take back that which did not fit. She almost never when she was working paid any attention to how much she was spending. Recently we had a wedding to go to, I had to subsidize her and now she owes me 200 from last month. You are very lucky. And being retired I have plenty of time to shop, usually at Kohls with an additional 30% off.

I get shirts, shorts and bathing suits for many times 5 per item, sometimes less.

Kohl’s is on her short list.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Emailed Gainesville Sun Sports Director, Pat Dooley, about this post and he agreed with the Nayers said Emmitts numbers didn't justify a Statue and that Emmett was about Emmitt you could give him three Statues and he still wouldn't be any more pro UF.
I know when Im beat .....the nays take this one.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
My position is, this is about UF taking advantage of a football legend being an alumni and possibly getting the three we have moved so each has there own spot. In 20 or 30 years Emmitts rushing record will seem so untouchable this will probably happen.
I've been saying for years here that the players walking a mile to practice each day is a big problem that was starting to cause problems with recruiting, only to be shouted down by the same closed minded posters that are posting in this thread. Let the little primadonas walk they said. Now they want to blame Foley when they were as backward thinking as he was.

Give in if you want to RiverRat, take Droolys advice all you want, but I'm not, and I never will.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Emailed Gainesville Sun Sports Director, Pat Dooley, about this post and he agreed with the Nayers said Emmitts numbers didn't justify a Statue and that Emmett was about Emmitt you could give him three Statues and he still wouldn't be any more pro UF.
I know when Im beat .....the nays take this one.
So you dismissed all of us but you take Dooley as gospel and immediately change your position?

Rat, Dooley doesn't have the greatest reputation.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not to mention Dooley immediately cites the numbers to back his position. It's Heisman yes or Heisman no, period.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Not to mention Dooley immediately cites the numbers to back his position. It's Heisman yes or Heisman no, period.
So we are letting a bunch of voters completely detached from gator nation (who have royally fckd that vote up before) deciding on who our OWN royalty will be. You think all those Notre Dame players deserved that little statue? Hell no. If you want a lot of regional voters with all their views distorted view on southern football (and which many are jealous) to make a most deserving pick each year you will be sadly disappointed..........just ask Rex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.