Go Navy! Beat Army!

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I know the Navy says Iowa and Missouri are inefficient and unnecessary and expensive. But I have always thought having a ship that big with guns that powerful that can anchor in most any country's' harbor and sling 16" shells 30 miles has some very impressive psychological value. Add in the fact that most, if not all, military forces today do not have the capability to seriously degrade those ships without resorting to nukes and you've got real gunboat diplomacy.
Yep, they are relics of the past, but damn impressive relics. We always referred to the shells as lobbing Volkswagen bugs over the horizon. (About the same weight - 2000 pounds)

When I saw it, we were on an exercise with navies from Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. We were told the exercise involved selling a few small, old frigates to the Japanese. Having their "war department" folks and admirals on our flag ship while launching bugs from the guns on the deck they surrendered WW2 on was pretty assertive. Kind of a not so subtle reminder.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Grew up in P'cola and spent much time at NAS watching the Blues and in Scouts. IF our elite University had had a Navy ROTC unit, I would have been a naval aviator. On the other hand, my dad and father in law were both in the Army Air Forces (B-17s and B-29s), two uncles were in the Army (Patton's 3rd and a Medic in the Pacific) and the Air Force is descended from the Army. Conflicted am I. Oh, heck, Go Navy.
When did you go to UF, 100 years ago?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks, this is how I get people to read for me... we Army guys don't read so good!
I read what you posted and noticed that the date for the Navy program started a long time ago, but it didn’t actually say that’s when it started at UF. It made me wonder.

One of my best mentors use to say, “many a crime has been solved by the polite, but curious, police officer.” I’ve found it to be very true.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Why did you have to bring up ROTC at UF. I was obviously cut out to be a civilian consultant. Every time I had to shine my damned shoes it pissed me off.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Why did you have to bring up ROTC at UF. I was obviously cut out to be a civilian consultant. Every time I had to shine my damned shoes it pissed me off.
"I can't make you spit shine your boots, but I can make you wish you did" - SSG Schoonover, my first Platoon Sergeant in the Army

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
When did you go to UF, 100 years ago?
i found a fraternity picture of him and some swanks.................
racoon.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It's funny... at first, I hated shining shoes/boots. Then you learn, then appreciate, why it is important to do so whether in uniform or out. Trenches in Ukraine are demonstrating why you shine your boots in a time when just 1 year ago, people were convinced "we'll NEVER see that kind of war again!" Also, I have a pair of really nice dress shoes that I actually bought in Gainesville in 1989. I still have and wear that same pair of shoes. About 2 years ago, I took them to a really good local cowboy boot place and asked if they could resole them. When I picked them up, it was the owner that gave them back to me and he said "nice shoes, how old are they?" When I told him 30 years and that I just saddle soap and shine them, he said, "they're really good shoes, keep doing that and they'll last another 30."

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
It's funny... at first, I hated shining shoes/boots. Then you learn, then appreciate, why it is important to do so whether in uniform or out. Trenches in Ukraine are demonstrating why you shine your boots in a time when just 1 year ago, people were convinced "we'll NEVER see that kind of war again!" Also, I have a pair of really nice dress shoes that I actually bought in Gainesville in 1989. I still have and wear that same pair of shoes. About 2 years ago, I took them to a really good local cowboy boot place and asked if they could resole them. When I picked them up, it was the owner that gave them back to me and he said "nice shoes, how old are they?" When I told him 30 years and that I just saddle soap and shine them, he said, "they're really good shoes, keep doing that and they'll last another 30."
Florshaeim wingtips? I've got a pair I bought in 1990. Resoled 2 times. Wore them at work until they went business casual.

Shining shoes is an art. Much like knife sharpening.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Florshaeim wingtips? I've got a pair I bought in 1990. Resoled 2 times. Wore them at work until they went business casual.

Shining shoes is an art. Much like knife sharpening.
I still keep all my shoe/boot shine schit in a .50cal ammo can in the closet, and I gots alllll kindsa knife sharpening schit! And yes, it is an art, glad my dad taught me how (still have his carborundum stone) and I've passed that on to my kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.