Going to need a new laptop soon - need advice

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, Hobby and Computer Tech' started by oxrageous, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $63,836
    Ratings:
    +95,943 / -6,558
    I guess I meant to say, does it run from a browser? Or do you download a program? Or something else?

2. NVGator

NVGator Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,820
    Ratings:
    +13,912 / -650
    Just not true.

3. grengadgy

grengadgy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $491
    Ratings:
    +2,670 / -216
    Apple fanboy :lol2:

4. chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime

Oxbucks:
    $1,561
    Ratings:
    +3,381 / -222
    What parts are you replacing yourself on a Mac and or Apple desktop? I used to work on them and alongside their proprietary software; their hardware side of things is just as bad

5. chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime

Oxbucks:
    $1,561
    Ratings:
    +3,381 / -222
    I'm with you on Lenovo products; they've been solid lately.

My low end HP laptop of 7 years ago is still going strong but that's because of standard maintenance on it.

and most importantly...uninstall the OS if you can and reinstall it. It will take all the HP/Lenovo/etc... type of bloatware off. It's why anyone who owns Android phones should root it; less bloatware the better off you are

6. NVGator

NVGator Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,820
    Ratings:
    +13,912 / -650
    You said most of the time you are sending them in for work which is just not true. Most of the work repair on an Apple is done at your local store.

7. chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime

Oxbucks:
    $1,561
    Ratings:
    +3,381 / -222
    O okay....

Either way. I can pocket labor costs with a PC

8. NVGator

NVGator Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,820
    Ratings:
    +13,912 / -650
    Cool. You and the other 1% of the population can do that. Good to know.

9. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $63,836
    Ratings:
    +95,943 / -6,558
    Dude, its just a screw driver. They hire kids whose last job was big mac maker and shake machine operator at those mac and pc repair places. If you can watch Youtube, you can fix your computer.

#69 Swamp Donkey, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    • DCab

DCab Member

Oxbucks:
      $0
      Ratings:
      +30 / -0
      My wife has an old Mac Mini she's been stringing along since 2009, my daughter a macbook and I have a company I-phone. I just don't like the Apple Os and user interface as much as Windows but they are dependable products and I never have to mess with anything to keep them running. They pretty much maintain themselves even for users who know nothing about computers.

I have used HP and Dell laptops with I-7 and 17" screens at work and both are good dependable products, especially with Windows 7 or 10. I just prefer to get a bit more under the hood to solve my own problems and so I lean towards Windows, not Apple for that reason as well. I've thought about trying to upgrade the Mac Mini though. It's getting pretty old and slow.

Not laptop related but, for my personal home use I've built a home theater PC with a networked TV tuner and cloud capable network storage so I can access all my media from my home when I travel. I can use my phone to program recordings, stream home movies, family photos, music, movies or TV recordings to my phone or company laptop as long as I have a decent wifi connection.

• Kyng

Kyng The Freak

Oxbucks:
        $28
        Ratings:
        +401 / -11
        Don't get a Mac lol. What is your budget? I've been building PC's for 10 years.

• grengadgy

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $491
        Ratings:
        +2,670 / -216
        Do you build laptops, that's what the OP was asking about I believe.

78 Dazed and Confused
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $15,669
        Ratings:
        +22,236 / -1,190
        I've been using Macbooks since 2009. My current has a 2.8 GHz quad core processor, 16 GB memory and a 1 TB solid state hard drive. It screams. They're expensive and yet worth every penny in terms of performance, durability, ease of operation and resale value. Yes, I said resale. Tell me the last time you considered selling a six-year-old Windows laptop. Probably never. Macbooks hold their value relatively well.

BTW, Macs are no safer from viruses, contrary to popular opinion. You'll need good anti-virus and anti-malware programs. I use AVG and Malwarebytes.

Whatever you get, make sure the hard drive is solid state and it has plenty of RAM.

• grengadgy

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $491
          Ratings:
          +2,670 / -216
          Good post, especially the highlighted parts.

78 Dazed and Confused
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $15,669
          Ratings:
          +22,236 / -1,190
          The solid state drive is what makes the machine esp fast. They're expensive but provide plenty of performance and enhanced life. No moving parts.

• grengadgy

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $491
          Ratings:
          +2,670 / -216
          I haven't been keeping up with ssd. There were reliably concerns when they first came out but I see that is no longer a concern.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/worried-about-ssd-wear-you-probably-dont-need-to-be/

78 Dazed and Confused
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $15,669
          Ratings:
          +22,236 / -1,190
          I've had HDDs that lasted 18 months before going kaput. SSDs aren't built to last forever, but they'll outlive a typical HDD by a large margin. I put modestly sized SSDs on my office machines as the workstations are only asked to hold a limited amount of data. We back up the bulk of our data to a large external unit and cloud.

The main thing about SSDs is performance. People think adding RAM is the answer to all their needs. You can add all the RAM In the world and your machine will still only perform as well as the drive you put in it.

• pilot-in-fla

pilot-in-fla Deplorable
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,716
          Ratings:
          +6,837 / -152
          Of course, you can get windows machines equipped with SSD as well and performance will be similar. The bottom line remains that you are going to pay close to double for computing power on an Apple platform to say nothing about the difficulty of integrating with peripherals, proprietary connectors, etc.

• grengadgy

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $491
          Ratings:
          +2,670 / -216
          We don't want any Apple/ PC wars. "78" had some very informative posts, at least they were to me.

• oxrageous

oxrageous It's Good to be King
          Administrator

Oxbucks:
          $35,798
          Ratings:
          +56,369 / -2,092
          78 has a huge point in that Macs have resale value, while PC's are disposable.