Good for nothing bum David Duval cards a 13 on par 5

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Didn't open the link, so not sure. But is that hole the one with the windmill?

Still a bad look either way, but somewhat defensible if so. Always gets me.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't they name a bigass county after him?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That's the highest score at any hole at the British since 1950. :lol:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
David Duval is still alive and playing golf?

I was just as surprised as you . Haven't heard anything about the guy for the better part of two decades.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Rory had a 79 in his home country no less

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Woods is on his way to withdrawing from the tournament. 7 over after 14 holes. yeesh.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody ever did less with more. David Duval is the PGA poster child for underachievement
He'd probably be the first to admit it, too. The guy was apparently his own worst critic.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nobody ever did less with more. David Duval is the PGA poster child for underachievement
He'd probably be the first to admit it, too. The guy was apparently his own worst critic.

I'm sure you've heard the story (it's well documented). He married some hippy chick while spending most of the winter in Colorado snowboarding - girl had several kids apparently...and it was over (his golf career). He won a few big tournaments, made a ton of cash and then said "f*ck it, I'm done". He probably has a lifetime exemption at the British Open so he plays occasionally (there). I'm curious if he ever plays, at all, anymore. I knew his caddie (a HS buddy of his) and heard a few stories. DD is about the same age as I am and I used to cross paths with him until it was obvious he was destined for stardom and then you didn't really see him around too much. He was a nice enough guy back then that I always rooted for him to succeed. The fall from grace was hard though!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure you've heard the story (it's well documented). He married some hippy chick while spending most of the winter in Colorado snowboarding - girl had several kids apparently...and it was over (his golf career). He won a few big tournaments, made a ton of cash and then said "f*ck it, I'm done". He probably has a lifetime exemption at the British Open so he plays occasionally (there). I'm curious if he ever plays, at all, anymore. I knew his caddie (a HS buddy of his) and heard a few stories. DD is about the same age as I am and I used to cross paths with him until it was obvious he was destined for stardom and then you didn't really see him around too much. He was a nice enough guy back then that I always rooted for him to succeed. The fall from grace was hard though!
Geez, if you're going to forsake millions for a woman, at least be sure she shaves.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, they adjusted his score on that hole to a 14 and he shot a 91. :facepalm:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I don;t remember the number exactly, but didn;t he win like 10 or 11 tournaments in a calendar year when he was #1 in the world? And I think he shot a 59 once in a tourney. The guy went from the best player in the world to a typical hacker almost overnight. He and Ian Baker Finch go out and just try and break 90 now. Sounds like me and I play the course at about 6500 yards not 7300

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don;t remember the number exactly, but didn;t he win like 10 or 11 tournaments in a calendar year when he was #1 in the world? And I think he shot a 59 once in a tourney. The guy went from the best player in the world to a typical hacker almost overnight. He and Ian Baker Finch go out and just try and break 90 now. Sounds like me and I play the course at about 6500 yards not 7300

He definitely shot 59 once. I don't remember exactly where though.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, half the strokes on that hole were penalties:lol:. He lost his first two balls, played the wrong ball out of the rough, then went back to find his original ball and couldn't find it. Its not like he took 14 swings at it :lol: At any rate, its amazing he carded a 91 after a quad bogey, a triple bogey, and a 9 over par nino-bogey or whatever you might call it :lol: Thats 16 over par on just 3 holes.

The case of David Duval is one of the weirdest in golf. Not only is he one of the few guys to ever hit a 59 in competition, but he was the #1 golfer in the world until Tiger started his big run. And his 59 came in the final round of a tourney he won rather than some middle round by a guy with no pressure on him. Only 2 golfers in history had hit a 59 before that. Its a feat more rare than throwing a perfect game in baseball.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Not only is he one of the few guys to ever hit a 59 in competition, but he was the #1 golfer in the world until Tiger started his big run.
Actually he interrupted Tiger's big run.

I was at the 98 or 99 TPC at Sawgrass and he won. He was absolutely on fire in the late 90's.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tiger only beat six other golfers this morning besides Duval. One of them, incredibly, was Rory McElroy. WTF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb