Best Posts in Thread: Got a stupid computer question

1. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $63,744
    Ratings:
    +95,756 / -6,540
    Was there ever more magical words to come from her lips though? Usually as she was ripping her own shirt off and perhaps putting her hair back in a pony?

What? OF COURSE I've loved you since our first conversation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
    • TLB

TLB Just chillin'
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,412
      Ratings:
      +12,858 / -210
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

J/K, I'd like an update as well.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $8,412
        Ratings:
        +12,858 / -210
        Need some clarification here. HOW was the backup made? Simple copy all the files from hard drive to USB, or via a tool that did a backup image?

From you're mentioning 'click restore' leads me to think you did a backup image. DO NOT 'click restore' or it will try to overwrite your laptop. However, there are several ways to retrieve files off it still, and to do so safely.

Next questions:
        • Assuming you used a software to make the backup image, what software did you use?
        • Assuming you paid for it, do you still have the installation disk?
        • What OS is your current laptop?
        • How much extra space to you have on your laptop hard drive (enough to copy the whole image from USB to somewhere on the laptop, at least temporarily)?

What I'm angling for, again assuming you used an imaging software, is to have the old drive image copied onto the laptop somewhere. Then, to use the software to 'mount' that image as an extra drive (this may be possible without the software, depending on your laptop OS). Then, that image can appear just like another drive while you poke around and copy off what you need. Then delete the image, and hang onto that USB version in case 'just in case' happens again. But first, help me out with those questions, please.

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
            • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
            • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.