Grading 2022 - Using today as a starting point?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
In order to gauge progress you need to know your starting point. Where are we today, right now?

If we were to go into 2022 with these players as they are, what would you expect, another sub-.500 season?

What do you expect has already changed and can/will change and how will all of that affect 2022?

Discuss

1. No huge scandals off the field including players. Take command of the program. (BTW, my view of scandal does not include any of the faux scandals of Meyer at Jacksonville but real scandals.)

2. Defend the Swamp. That is beat Utah, UK, USF, Eastern Washington, UMo, LSU and SoCar. That is 8 of the 12 games at home. (LSU is the tough one, but for two pretty even programs with new staffs the first game can be important.)

3. Beat UTn, Vandy and FSU on the road or at least 2 out of 3.

4. Beat UGa and/or aTm or at least be competitive in those games.

5. Have your team ready to play each week so that you don't lose to Georgia Southern or score 14 points in regulation and have to go to OT to beat FAU or give up 52 points and have to struggle to beat Samford. (These types of games have been the signals the prior 3 regimes were sliding out of control.)

6. Run a competent offense that puts up points rather than just controls the ball.

7. Play the best guy particularly at positions like QB, RB, S etc. where we fans can see if you are not.

So a competent looking program with a good offense that passes a significant amount and competent defense and special teams that goes around 10-2 is what UF fans should expect next fall.

It might be nice if among his 5,000 analysts Napier might hire a couple of ex-Gator players other than recruiting staff continuity holdovers like Ratliff, but I guess he is telling what trash he thinks UF's program, history and fans are so there is not reason to even throw us a bone.

PS: BTW, I meant to say when I first posted, excellent thread! I think it is really important to set expectations and then grade against them with a head coaching hire.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll approach it like this. 6-8 wins with progress made throughout the year will be a good year.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Who remembers Wayne peace to James Jones in 82 to beat Miami in the closing mins.
One handed stab and just made it across the goal line.

Jones was also a TE who changed positions and really excelled.

Wayne was my insurance agent when we lived in Lakeland. Truly humble guy who really didn’t want to talk about his glory days. Under Shanahan he set a school completion percentage record at the time that also led the nation as I recall. Sure-handed Dwayne Dixon & Spencer Jackson were reliable targets.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
1. No huge scandals off the field including players. Take command of the program. (BTW, my view of scandal does not include any of the faux scandals of Meyer at Jacksonville but real scandals.)

2. Defend the Swamp. That is beat Utah, UK, USF, Eastern Washington, UMo, LSU and SoCar. That is 8 of the 12 games at home. (LSU is the tough one, but for two pretty even programs with new staffs the first game can be important.)

3. Beat UTn, Vandy and FSU on the road or at least 2 out of 3.

4. Beat UGa and/or aTm or at least be competitive in those games.

5. Have your team ready to play each week so that you don't lose to Georgia Southern or score 14 points in regulation and have to go to OT to beat FAU or give up 52 points and have to struggle to beat Samford. (These types of games have been the signals the prior 3 regimes were sliding out of control.)

6. Run a competent offense that puts up points rather than just controls the ball.

7. Play the best guy particularly at positions like QB, RB, S etc. where we fans can see if you are not.

So a competent looking program with a good offense that passes a significant amount and competent defense and special teams that goes around 10-2 is what UF fans should expect next fall.

It might be nice if among his 5,000 analysts Napier might hire a couple of ex-Gator players other than recruiting staff continuity holdovers like Ratliff, but I guess he is telling what trash he thinks UF's program, history and fans are so there is not reason to even throw us a bone.

PS: BTW, I meant to say when I first posted, excellent thread! I think it is really important to set expectations and then grade against them with a head coaching hire.

All good goals. One reason I started this thread is to point out how far we are from these standards. BN will deserve credit for progress towards them this year. The big question will be how far he can take us.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

:harvey1:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
florida-v-miami-tj-doyle.jpg
Anoth Gator by the same artist upload_2021-12-28_18-46-11.jpeg

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The new staff, and any other qb besides Lollypop Guild EJ, will be good for 3 more wins minimum.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
All good goals. One reason I started this thread is to point out how far we are from these standards. BN will deserve credit for progress towards them this year. The big question will be how far he can take us.

The UF standard is far higher than my 10-2 season for Napier's first season. The standard at UF is to win the SEC and be in the national picture. (Of couse that is a bit redundant now that UF does not play a national contender the final game of each season.)

Of course UF will not meet that standard every year. Still in the 25 seasons from 1984 through 2008 UF won the SEC football champsionship 11 times. (10 times by the rules of the time if you like.) During the same time 25 years, UF won 3 BCS/BA/vote titles. (4 by some sources.) So I think about 40% SEC title and 12% NCAA title is the Gator standard. Then Foley started trying to copy U.AL. and we know what has happened since then.

Since the SEC went to divisions UF has won the East 15 of the 30 times. Now 2 of those times are pretend East titles as UF only tied and lost head to head to someone and did not get to the SEC championship game. So UF should also win the East about 40ish to 50 percent of the time.

The SEC has more teams now, making it maybe a bit tougher to win, but I still would say winning the SEC East about every other years, the SEC 1 out of every 3 years and a national title once a decade is the UF standard. So my expectations for Napier's first year is way below the UF standard. I will be happy if UF wins the games UF clearly should win. Could UF win the East next year. Sure. Could they win the SEC next year. No reason they can't. Could they win the BCS tourney, sure. I don't expect any of this in year 1, but I would expect this soon after that.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
The UF standard is far higher than my 10-2 season for Napier's first season. The standard at UF is to win the SEC and be in the national picture. (Of couse that is a bit redundant now that UF does not play a national contender the final game of each season.)

Of course UF will not meet that standard every year. Still in the 25 seasons from 1984 through 2008 UF won the SEC football champsionship 11 times. (10 times by the rules of the time if you like.) During the same time 25 years, UF won 3 BCS/BA/vote titles. (4 by some sources.) So I think about 40% SEC title and 12% NCAA title is the Gator standard. Then Foley started trying to copy U.AL. and we know what has happened since then.

Since the SEC went to divisions UF has won the East 15 of the 30 times. Now 2 of those times are pretend East titles as UF only tied and lost head to head to someone and did not get to the SEC championship game. So UF should also win the East about 40ish to 50 percent of the time.

The SEC has more teams now, making it maybe a bit tougher to win, but I still would say winning the SEC East about every other years, the SEC 1 out of every 3 years and a national title once a decade is the UF standard. So my expectations for Napier's first year is way below the UF standard. I will be happy if UF wins the games UF clearly should win. Could UF win the East next year. Sure. Could they win the SEC next year. No reason they can't. Could they win the BCS tourney, sure. I don't expect any of this in year 1, but I would expect this soon after that.

could you break this book into chapters so we can read it over several weeks

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
If the coaching staff can help clean up the drive killing penalties, that should be good for at least 2-3 more wins. Will the 5* RBs show anything next year? Wright is serviceable but not a star in the making. Can AR stay healthy and develop the kind of connection that Trask had with his receivers? The OL was good early in the year except for the penalties. Went downhill after the injury bug bit. The defense has some studs and could be really good, with the right scheme.

My main concern is depth. When the starters are out, we have a lot to prove.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Good Lord thats a whole lot of words to say nothing worth reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator