Grantham spurns Bengals, stays at UF

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Pertaining to no one in particular, this is an interesting opinion. why do you feel being a head football coach is easier if you have been an OC vs. having been a DC??

Its a law of war. Its fact, and proven time and time again that defensive postures are easier to execute than offensive attacks. Offense is an art while Defense is a science. It's easy to follow a process than it is to lead a process.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Its a law of war. Its fact, and proven time and time again that defensive postures are easier to execute than offensive attacks. Offense is an art while Defense is a science. It's easy to follow a process than it is to lead a process.
I sense the engineer in you.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I think some may steer clear of him. He seems to be a hot head at times but personally I do like his attack style even if its over done at times. Beats the heck out of Sidehat and Randy. I know he still puts off a canine odor though..

I'll see this comment and raise you a...
chump.gif

And this guy is a "defensive genius" that managed to lose to a team that didn't complete a forward pass. He's gotten two HC jobs in the SEC.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. There's talk (from both Rivals and 247 sites) that he finally wants to be a head coach. I think he stays here one more year and lands a head coaching gig. If Jeff Collins can get two D1 jobs, I think Grantham is definitely ready.
Collins is younger and a more polished looking dude. I don't see Grantham ever getting too many looks to be honest. I think he's a career DC kinda like chavis.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Collins is younger and a more polished looking dude. I don't see Grantham ever getting too many looks to be honest. I think he's a career DC kinda like chavis.

That's been my thoughts on him as well. But he's apparently put the word out that he's looking for a head coaching gig.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grantham had three forgettable seasons as DC in Cleveland from 2005-2007.

Then again, isn't every season in Cleveland forgettable?

He's not irreplaceable, esp on the recruiting end.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
No, I don't disagree. The two Ohio teams definitely set the bar pretty high. I do, however, think the Dolphins are heading into that elite category at a rapid pace, which is sad. By my count, this is 11 coaches since Shula's last year('94). So just over 2 years on average, mostly total gambles or the ugliest of retreads. It would be hard to script a worse quarter century of football.

As a Detroit Lion fan since 1958, your comment concerning the Dolphins falls on deaf ears.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'll see this comment and raise you a...

And this guy is a "defensive genius" that managed to lose to a team that didn't complete a forward pass. He's gotten two HC jobs in the SEC.
No one can beat a 1aa team without their starting quarterback. You just can't replace a Heisman guy that's good for 70-100 yards passing and 3-6 turnovers a game.

It's like trying to win without two of your players and a bunch of 3rd stringers suspended for credit cards. You can't just lose nearly 100% of your offense, six touchdowns, and expect to win.

Last edited:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
My condolences on your fandom.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I cannot let go of allegiance formed in youth to a team organization so hopelessly inept over subsequent decades. Fortunately, my interest in pro football waned with the advent of free agency, artificial turf and covered stadia; the ache of futility has subsided. At least my daughter had the prescient good sense to hitch her fandom to the Patriots and Red Sox before either won a championship.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This whole thread is because some asswipe did nothing but speculate on a list of DC's that this new coach "could" contact. :rolleyes3:

I'm quite confident Grantham will not be contacted to interview for this Bengals DC job. As usual, we're debating nothing.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thank you. Unfortunately, I cannot let go of allegiance formed in youth to a team organization so hopelessly inept over subsequent decades. Fortunately, my interest in pro football waned with the advent of free agency, artificial turf and covered stadia; the ache of futility has subsided. At least my daughter had the prescient good sense to hitch her fandom to the Patriots and Red Sox before either won a championship.
You knew I was going to extend the suffering. That's our Wilber. :) wilber-marshall-o.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As usual, we're debating nothing.
of course, but we're trying to get to a million here.

I was going to add that his name certainly hasn't been mentioned in the Midwest. But who cares? It's fun to think about upgrading from Grantham to Manuel. It is like buying a lottery ticket just for the thrill.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t have any issues with Grantham at this point and am looking forward to seeing how our guys do in the second year of the system.

I like aggressive defense.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
of course, but we're trying to get to a million here.

I was going to add that his name certainly hasn't been mentioned in the Midwest. But who cares? It's fun to think about upgrading from Grantham to Manuel. It is like buying a lottery ticket just for the thrill.
Help me understand how Manuel would be an upgrade. I'd obviously love to have a Gator run the defense, but he bombed in Atlanta, his only gig at DC.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I do too.... and yet, Dwag.

I honestly think him being a total dick head is useful since it seems to preclude him from getting a head coaching job.
I've stayed twice at a hotel in Athens. Does that make me a Dwag?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.