Grantham spurns Bengals, stays at UF

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No exceptions!

Just to let everyone know, this isn't just some rabid Gator expressing unconditional hate, let me spin you a story:

I am a huge Atlanta Hawks guy. Covered them for years on online media. Through the years, my press experience led me to talk and be familiar with Dominique Wilkins, the greatest Atlanta Hawk player, ever. When Nique joined Twitter, he followed me and I him. I had his number in my cell phone. We discussed a book at one time.

During the NCAA tournament years back, I tweeted GO GATORS during our game with Louisville. Nique dropped me instantly, his disdain for the Gators too much to bear on social media, despite our alliance.

They hate us as much, likely way more, than any GCMB poster can conjure here on the board. So Donkey hates TG unconditionally because he wore the Red/Black with pride? Absolutely, freaking right, yes.

GO GATORS, Nique -- AND FOREVER SCREW THE DWAGS

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've had some pretty damn good, proven Gator DCs over the past 10 years. I wouldn't rank Grantham (just from what I've seen last year) in the top 3.
Not that I disagree entirely. But it’s hard to say, considering he’s had less “overall” talent to work with. We’ve complained for three years about Maca-crybaby-twatfaces’s defensive recruiting. So there’s that.

We brought in another couple stud corners, and perhaps the best linebacker class we’ve had in decades. Some good pass rushers and ONE strong DT. We failed at securing a couple more big bodies on the D’line and at safety. For some reason, Mullen didn’t seem concerned about safety when asked. Maybe he has a plan in mind. Maybe he’s confident the guys are better then what they’ve shown and Grey’s influence will be the difference.?. But overall, our D recruiting IS improving and we’ve started strong for the next class.

Only thing is, Grantham will probably be gone by the time this and next years class are making significant contributions. I’ve got mixed feelings but do know he did better than Shannon! And we improved last year. Can’t help but to think it’d been even better if Mac’azzholes D recruiting had been on par the last few years.

That being said, I don’t know if he can ever fully wash the stink of dwag off of him.... like I said, it’s a mixed fleabag... I mean bag.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's damn near schizophrenic. Creating a narrative so he can somehow sound like a smarter and better fan

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We brought in another couple stud corners, and perhaps the best linebacker class we’ve had in decades. .
This is a massive massive overstatement. We landed zero ILBs.

Diabete is an outside LB/Rushback who weights 205-210ish. He is tall and willnever be an ILB bit I expect him to make noise. Not really aure what to think of of Diwun. He is heavier, probably.more like 215 (didnt they weigh him at AA game?). Some think he is a safety. he isnt an ILB, but covers well enough to be either OLB but will.all the rushbackers may well play Sam.

Hopper and Pierre are also in the 195-205 range and are rangy OLBs. Neither of these guys have the frame to play inside.

Is it a good class? yeah.

Best in decades? No way. Not without the two ILBs we need in basically every class.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Swamp: Including REM and John Isner is too far! REM was an excellent 80’s - 90’s band, and didn’t you listen to them back then?

Isner is a good dude and the best American player we’ve had of late! #1 American! Don’t you love your country?

BTW, are you a tennis fan?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp: Including REM and John Isner is too far! REM was an excellent 80’s - 90’s band, and didn’t you listen to them back then?

Isner is a good dude and the best American player we’ve had of late! #1 American! Don’t you love your country?

BTW, are you a tennis fan?
if you're a Michael Stipe and REM fan, I think most of us should be asking you about your tennis fanhood, at a minimum....

:uhoh:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
E1A0E010-37A8-4BA5-8AA2-1DBD630710D5.jpeg
Just to let everyone know, this isn't just some rabid Gator expressing unconditional hate, let me spin you a story:

I am a huge Atlanta Hawks guy. Covered them for years on online media. Through the years, my press experience led me to talk and be familiar with Dominique Wilkins, the greatest Atlanta Hawk player, ever. When Nique joined Twitter, he followed me and I him. I had his number in my cell phone. We discussed a book at one time.

During the NCAA tournament years back, I tweeted GO GATORS during our game with Louisville. Nique dropped me instantly, his disdain for the Gators too much to bear on social media, despite our alliance.

They hate us as much, likely way more, than any GCMB poster can conjure here on the board. So Donkey hates TG unconditionally because he wore the Red/Black with pride? Absolutely, freaking right, yes.

GO GATORS, Nique -- AND FOREVER SCREW THE DWAGS

For what it’s worth....I became an instant Hawks fan when they drafted John Collins. I watched him grow up and know his Mom. Great, great kid and an absolute emerging star. Mom, John and some Hawks in the house.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Bengals Wire

Scheme switch to 3-4 for Bengals also reportedly concerned Todd Grantham
Share on FacebookTweetShare on WhatsappShare by Email

The Cincinnati Bengals are having a hard time filling Zac Taylor’s defensive coordinator position.

After deciding Jack Del Rio wasn’t the right fit and getting denied a chance to interview Dom Capers, the Bengals interviewed Florida’s Todd Grantham for two days before missing on him too. They also just got declined access to Ohio State’s Jeff Hafley.

Grantham is the most interesting though, as it was revealed he was concerned about the defensive core’s age and the sorry state of the linebackers.

To add to this, it also turns out Taylor gave Grantham permission to pursue whatever base defense he wanted — which ended up being a problem, according to Fletcher Page of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Those issues would accentuate growing pains if Grantham’s 3-4 scheme was implemented after 16 seasons of running a 4-3 base defense under Lewis. The Bengals have young talent among the front seven, notably Carl Lawson and Sam Hubbard, but Grantham, according to sources, wasn’t sure the personnel would immediately translate to his preferred scheme.

At face value, this isn’t a good excuse. The Bengals have free agency and the draft in front of them still so retooling for a new scheme isn’t overly complicated. The current talent in place can start to learn new roles. And to take it another step further — base defense isn’t that important anymore anyway, not with most units spending the majority of their time with extra defensive backs on the field, anyway.

Keep in mind Grantham was a top-five paid defensive coordinator at the collegiate level and didn’t necessarily want to leave, to boot.

All that aside, the schematic side of things is another angle to keep in mind when wondering why this process is taking so long. It is one of many factors candidates will weigh and discuss during interviews.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
This is a massive massive overstatement. We landed zero ILBs.

Diabete is an outside LB/Rushback who weights 205-210ish. He is tall and willnever be an ILB bit I expect him to make noise. Not really aure what to think of of Diwun. He is heavier, probably.more like 215 (didnt they weigh him at AA game?). Some think he is a safety. he isnt an ILB, but covers well enough to be either OLB but will.all the rushbackers may well play Sam.

Hopper and Pierre are also in the 195-205 range and are rangy OLBs. Neither of these guys have the frame to play inside.

Is it a good class? yeah.

Best in decades? No way. Not without the two ILBs we need in basically every class.

Its almost as if he wants his front to be faster and more agile than a typical DL while getting his LBs to be bigger and stronger than a typical LB core.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
while getting his LBs to be bigger and stronger than a typical LB core.
Our LBs are all 200 pounds. That isn't bigger and stronger.

Reese is the only "bigger" LB we have.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

To toughen your skin to handle GatChat, do the GatChat vexercise program = callouskinics

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Bengals Wire

Scheme switch to 3-4 for Bengals also reportedly concerned Todd Grantham
Share on FacebookTweetShare on WhatsappShare by Email

Keep in mind Grantham was a top-five paid defensive coordinator at the collegiate level and didn’t necessarily want to leave, to boot.
Assuming this is correct, is Grantham overpaid? Perhaps wildly so? Is it too soon to say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator