Grilling/Smoking Options

flg8rfan

Nov 28, 2018
I also have a masterbuilt electric and when it is 20 degrees out, it takes about an hour to get to 225. LOL

Yeah but once it’s at temp, doesn’t matter what the weather outside is, it will stay there as long as you leave the door closed ;-)

Mines Bluetooth, the older software would let me turn it on from bed (when I needed to start early in the morning). Latest software makes you turn it on from the device, guess someone started a fire. I miss the old software ;-)

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but once it’s at temp, doesn’t matter what the weather outside is, it will stay there as long as you leave the door closed ;-)

Mines Bluetooth, the older software would let me turn it on from bed (when I needed to start early in the morning). Latest software makes you turn it on from the device, guess someone started a fire. I miss the old software ;-)
They changed the masterbuilt app and i cannot for the life of me to get my bluetooth to work. The app sucks.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I dry brine with kosher salt overnight. Then mustard and a homemade saltless rub before 225-235 for however long it takes. If I don’t care about a bark, I wrap it at the stall with some apple juice and knock a couple hours of the cook.

I let it rest a minimum of an hour but try for a quarter of the total Cook time in a cooler wrapped in a towel. The differences are subtle but there.

flg8rfan

Nov 28, 2018
They changed the masterbuilt app and i cannot for the life of me to get my bluetooth to work. The app sucks.

At least the new app allows you to set a timer >12 hours.

The new app connects to both my old smokers and the new one but can only be connected to one at a time. Was nice to be able to flip back and forth

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I do a rub overnight, no mustard, no sugar in rub. For a quicker cook, 270-300, especially with pork I like some spice in the rub. I usually use chipotle powder. I like that spicy fat bark it produces. On brisket just SnP. On long cooks I think the spices get cooked out.

I like old school oak and hickory mix

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I struggled for a long time with pork butts and then I watched a Aaron Franklin video and followed his rub recipe and cooking instructions. Mostly salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and coat that very heavy and let sit for about 30 minutes, roughly 5-6 hours at 375 depending on size. Wrap it in foil and cook another 3 hours at 375. Take it out to rest for 45 minutes and it is perfect every time.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
At least the new app allows you to set a timer >12 hours.

The new app connects to both my old smokers and the new one but can only be connected to one at a time. Was nice to be able to flip back and forth
I will download the new app. Thanks for letting me know. Cheers.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's not cheating. Work smarter, not harder. I use my Bradley electric for long smokes like that.

I have found that wrapping it and keeping in a cooler doesnt do anything. Certainly doesnt hurt anything. I just cant detect a difference between digging right in vs doing that. I have certainly done that technique when I needed to bring it somewhere. I have found that butcher paper will preserve your bark much better than that foil.
People underestimate that time in the cooler.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I struggled for a long time with pork butts and then I watched a Aaron Franklin video and followed his rub recipe and cooking instructions. Mostly salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and coat that very heavy and let sit for about 30 minutes, roughly 5-6 hours at 375 depending on size. Wrap it in foil and cook another 3 hours at 375. Take it out to rest for 45 minutes and it is perfect every time.

That is basically how I used to do it. Always solid and never disappointed.

~215-225 for nearly 2 hours per pound knocks into a different stratosphere. Give it a shot one time when you have the time.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That is basically how I used to do it. Always solid and never disappointed.

~215-225 for nearly 2 hours per pound knocks into a different stratosphere. Give it a shot one time when you have the time.

I used to do it that way and after watching his video that’s when I moved it to 275 and now it’s great. The wifey who really doesn’t like pork even loves it. Granted I probably need to step up the quality of the meat as I typically just get whatever the local store has

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I love the cooler rest. Gives me time to shower and relax wit h a drink before the mongol hoards arrive :)

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I grilled fresh salmon on a cedar plank last night. Soaked the plank for 24 hrs, grilled up some long strips of bacon, set the cuts right on the plank, peppercorn, fresh lemon juice and set the bacon on top of everything. Medium heat for about 20 mins. Fantastic. Fish had a combination of lemon and bacon flavors along with the cedar smoky smell. Kids ate till they could barely move.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Made some homemade pizzas for the twins birthday. (With homemade dough)
First up was a white pizza. Mozzarella, Fontina, Parmesan, some chicken I grilled on the egg with a dry rub, white mushrooms and a little bit white truffle oil.
upload_2020-6-20_17-1-28.jpeg
Second was a Margherita with Mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and basil from the garden.
upload_2020-6-20_17-3-43.jpeg
Third was tomato sauce, mozzarella, Italian Sausage, red onion, and some sliced red bell pepper I had roasted earlier and removed the skins.
upload_2020-6-20_17-6-21.jpeg
Last was sauce, cheese, pepperoni, sausage, bacon and mushrooms.
upload_2020-6-20_17-8-7.jpeg
Flavor was great, but Mrs G and I still have work to do on shaping the crusts and getting the sauce and cheese ratio right. The first two were everyone’s favorites. Not much was left over, so either we did something right or people were just really hungry!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pizza on the BGE is awesome. We’ll place the dough on a pan like this. Still get the full effect of the grill. But makes it about 1000x easier.

41K1AG4QF9L._AC_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.