Gymnastics: #1 UF travels to #8 Arkansas 8pm tonight

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
One thing is still the same regardless of sport, whenever UF travels the opposing team wants to make it some special event. Tonight is "Rep the Red" night at Arkansas as the Hogs are planning a capacity crowd for UF (8pm SEC+). On paper, UF should have no problems with a slightly improving hog squad, but its gymnastics and small missteps can lead to significant challenges. The Arkansas gym is small and has a high school feel to it which could affect some of the gymnasts. Look for Trinity Thomas to rebound from an extremely rare off night against Georgia last week. Should not see any special lineup changes. UF will want to shoot for a mid-high 197 score to boost their national seeding going into nationals.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
UF Public Relations majors & Marketing majors should have assignments at raising the popularity of UF gymnastics - especially with the #1 always winning 2021 Gators. That should be a good fun assignment? Home meet attendance could be a measure of success. These gal-Gators work heroically, suffer injuries as much as football players, fight through surgery recovery, etc. Gymnastics involves bravery. Those Sweethearts do deserve maximum cheers from regularly faithful Gator fans. Hope so.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Home meet attendance pre-covid I think has been higher than the men's b-ball team (not saying much given their performance). Definitely the highest attended womens sport at UF.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Room for all kinds of Gator sports heroes.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Home meet attendance pre-covid I think has been higher than the men's b-ball team (not saying much given their performance). Definitely the highest attended womens sport at UF.

And it's not just a large crowd. It's an exciting, high-energy atmosphere. The meets are fun to take the family to.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can someone explain to me why the SEC Network features back to back gymnastics meets every Friday night that includes nearly every team in the conference EXCEPT the number one team in America?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed

There is constant competition and the event moves along briskly.
High energy and lots of fun.

Dedication purely to the love of their sport is most visible in gymnastics. That joy displayed is uplifting to watch.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Can someone explain to me why the SEC Network features back to back gymnastics meets every Friday night that includes nearly every team in the conference EXCEPT the number one team in America?
Idk, although I believe the Gator schedule is back loaded with LSU and Alabama that will probably be featured. But it does seem a bit odd.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Scores are tight tonight

You’re being generous. Florida is losing at least 1/2 a tenth on every routine before they hit the floor. Reverse is the case for Arkansas.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Something needs alteration on the meet scores, some math converter constant that makes scores relatable to other sports not 197.425 versus 197.25? Mild Gator fans cannot feel that - you gotta wade through 3-4 digits before it hits you & then mentally review them to make sure that you got it right ?? This does not help make it popularly embraced.?? Of course, IDK.

Last edited:

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
No, she’s got a meet this weekend. Her first at level 7. Fingers crossed!
How did your daughter do?
Well good luck! Skills start getting bigger now. I am sure she will do fine. My daughter did really good. She is happy with her performance, except apparently someone at the meet had the covid and now while negative, had to quarantine out of the gym this week. She is going to Atlanta next week for her second meet. Strange season.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
There was some serious home cooking going on in Arky last night. The worst was probably the vault rotation where not one Hog gymnast had a vault with a 10 start value and all had hoppy landings, 3 of the gator gymnasts had 10 start value vaults, same hoppy landings yet ended up with the exact same scores as the hogs. Arkansas went through their rotations clean but very basic gymnastics with very few bonuses in their routines. Odd to see Trinity struggle for two straight meets. Next week is a breather at home with Mizzou coming.

no1g8r

Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
There was some serious home cooking going on in Arky last night. The worst was probably the vault rotation where not one Hog gymnast had a vault with a 10 start value and all had hoppy landings, 3 of the gator gymnasts had 10 start value vaults, same hoppy landings yet ended up with the exact same scores as the hogs. Arkansas went through their rotations clean but very basic gymnastics with very few bonuses in their routines. Odd to see Trinity struggle for two straight meets. Next week is a breather at home with Mizzou coming.

Agreed, and I'm not generally one to complain about the judges. I couldn't help but wonder, given Arky's proximity to Oklahoma, if we had some judges that also judge Oklahoma meets, and brought some of the Oklahoma home-cooking to Fayetteville with them.

Edit to Add: I just checked, and one of the two Vault judges last night, Jeana Ely, has been the vault judge at both of Oklahoma's home meets this year.

I'm usually good at scoring to within a tenth of the judges, a task that is admittedly more difficult given the way bonus points now work. In last night's meet, the first two rotations is where I had the most discrepancies on both sides of the equation. I also saw a lot of discrepancies on floor.

Arky's girls did do a better job of sticking their landings, and keeping their legs together on dismounts and tumbling passes. They are obviously well-coached and could be a force in the near future. Florida did not have a very clean meet. But in the end I had Florida almost 6 tenths ahead of Arkansas, not the 1 3/4 tenths that the judges ended up with,

Last edited:

no1g8r

Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Something needs alteration on the meet scores, some math converter constant that makes scores relatable to other sports not 197.425 versus 197.25? Mild Gator fans cannot feel that - you gotta wade through 3-4 digits before it hits you & then mentally review them to make sure that you got it right ?? This does not help make it popularly embraced.?? Of course, IDK.

Yeah, for top 30 college team meets you won't see scores under 190, so you could drop the first two digits, move the decimal point a couple of places to the right, and end up with scores like 742.5 vs 725.0, which looks a bit more meaningful. But what to do about those schools that score below 190? Maybe just give them a zero ;)? I'll have to think more about this.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I saw the judges adjust Arkansas's scores down a couple of times after the rotation was over. Probably didn't show up on TV but I was watching the Stat web site at the same time. Maybe adjusting on difficulty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.