Gymnastics: Gators go for Natty today 3:30 on ABC

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ironically, I enjoy watching lacrosse (both my kids played, as did I).

I understand why UF added it as it is growing wildly in Florida (and Georgia), but it is odd to see them in a different conference. But, they gotta spend the T-IX $ somewhere!
The last time that I checked Vandy was the only SEC school that had lacrosse.
We play in the AAC Conference this year.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Ironically, I enjoy watching lacrosse (both my kids played, as did I).

I understand why UF added it as it is growing wildly in Florida (and Georgia), but it is odd to see them in a different conference. But, they gotta spend the T-IX $ somewhere!

With the attendance gymnastics got pre Xi flu, they might have come close to paying for themselves. I know their average attendance was 8-9k. I know nothing about the sport other than they have a solid following. Comparing them to the wnba is insulting to our gator girls. Our girls actually draw a crowd.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
With the attendance gymnastics got pre Xi flu, they might have come close to paying for themselves. I know their average attendance was 8-9k. I know nothing about the sport other than they have a solid following. Comparing them to the wnba is insulting to our gator girls. Our girls actually draw a crowd.
I agree; it wasn't me who compared them......

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Nothing against the sport, just a protest against Foley and the anti "arms race" mentality in football. Championships in football will raise more money for Title IX than anything. Gymnastics is a good use of current facilities.
Remember though, Title IX is not about revenues; it's about spending.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I get that you think it's stupid. I also know you're fairly narrow minded. No matter what your opinion, lacrosse is the fastest growing team sport in the U.S. (At the youth level, a lot of parents prefer it to football because of the rarity of concussions.) It may be a long time before enough SEC schools add it as a conference sport, but I'll bet you any amount that it is coming. I'd look for Georgia or Tennessee to add it next.

I doubt you'll see any men's teams in the SEC for a long, long, time though.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
They don't do pull ups really, more rope climb.

She didnt go to the top. Just saying. What they actually probably do is muscle ups, and in that case...1>0. My 2020 new year resolution was to be able to do 1 muscle up before 2021. I broke 3 ribs in June and still trying to get my strength back.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Florida somewhat shakey first rotation ends with a 49.2375. Putting them probably in 4th as waiting for Cal to finish on floor. Gallentine with a fall did not help and made us count a 9.775. On to beam. UFs strongest event and will determine if they advance or not.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I get that you think it's stupid. I also know you're fairly narrow minded. No matter what your opinion, lacrosse is the fastest growing team sport in the U.S. (At the youth level, a lot of parents prefer it to football because of the rarity of concussions.) It may be a long time before enough SEC schools add it as a conference sport, but I'll bet you any amount that it is coming. I'd look for Georgia or Tennessee to add it next.

I doubt you'll see any men's teams in the SEC for a long, long, time though.

I remember when they talked about soccer being the fastest growing sport in the US for youth. Still waiting for that to actually mean something. And I love the sport so dont take that the wrong way.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Also you have to remember, I always thought soccer was a liberal communist plot when introduced and pushed into American high school and college sports. I may be right!
Youth level soccer started in the DC area when I was a kid and since it was something new, we all tried it. Because my friends were all playing, I kept at it for a number of years, but I never really enjoyed it. I get that a lot of folks love it, but I just don't see it and find it dull to watch.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I remember when they talked about soccer being the fastest growing sport in the US for youth. Still waiting for that to actually mean something. And I love the sport so dont take that the wrong way.
No, I get it. Lacrosse may never get to a level where it's a really big thing, but I do know it is exciting to watch and more colleges are adding it all the time. Lacrosse is also hampered by the cost of the equipment, especially the sticks. When I was helping coach my son's youth teams we used to remind the kids all the time not to leave their sticks in the garage as the cold weather will over time make the plastic on the head of the stick more brittle.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wonder if Michigan brought their own judges. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.