Half a Hundred Between the Hedges

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What better way to ring out a crappy year than to recall a really good one punctuated by this rare gem -- a Cocktail Party meeting in Athens?

From Wiki:

1995: "Half a hundred between the Hedges" in Athens

With Jacksonville's rebuilt Jacksonville Municipal Stadium still under construction,[66] this traditional neutral-site showdown was held on the universities' campuses for the first time in over sixty years in 1994 and 1995.After winning at "The Swamp" the previous season, the undefeated 1995 Florida Gators hoped to repeat the feat at Sanford Stadium against a struggling Georgia Bulldogs team led by soon-to-be-fired coach Ray Goff.

Gators starting quarterback Danny Wuerffel threw for 242 yards and five touchdowns before leaving the game in the third quarter.[69] With the Gators leading 38–17 in the fourth quarter, Gators backup quarterback Eric Kresser threw for two more touchdowns, one with 1:21 remaining, to make the final score 52–17. After the game, Gators coach Steve Spurrier stated that he had wanted to be the first opponent to hang "half a hundred" on the Bulldogs in their own stadium because "we heard no one had ever done that before." The Gators' fifty-two points remains the record for most scored against Georgia "between the hedges."

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I KNEW exactly what this was about from the title........I have the t-shirt from that game and the game program. The gator is holding the dog by the scruff of the neck and says Between the Hedges

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I was there with my wife in the North End Zone, broke me off a piece of hedge which I have no idea what happened to. I should have the program somewhere, heck of a Game for Gators everywhere.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I remember him throwing deep late in that game. He was definitely going for that half century mark.

There will never be another SOS. Damn, we are a lucky bunch of Gators.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
I was there with my wife in the North End Zone, broke me off a piece of hedge which I have no idea what happened to. I should have the program somewhere, heck of a Game for Gators everywhere.
I was there as well. I’m told we had really good seats. I absconded with a good sized piece of hedge which I do still have. Really enjoyed Athens and the stadium and hanging half a hundred on them. It was a good day to be a Gator.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Drove through the drivng rain storm up to Atanta Friday night (I was actually on mushrooms in the back of my buddies van), we coulda been swiped by a tornado as well, seemed like it anyway - nasty storm.
Had my ticket stub from that game for years - the UGA cheerleader on the ticket was pretty hot. What a great game - we owned that stadium by the third quarter. One of my best memories. Thanks 78!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Drove through the drivng rain storm up to Atanta Friday night (I was actually on mushrooms in the back of my buddies van), we coulda been swiped by a tornado as well, seemed like it anyway - nasty storm.
Had my ticket stub from that game for years - the UGA cheerleader on the ticket was pretty hot. What a great game - we owned that stadium by the third quarter. One of my best memories. Thanks 78!

:lol: Bart, you crack me up. You're one GCMBer I'd love to meet up with some day.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
SOS, attention to historical detail, disdain for league opponents on game day and then most importantly translating that feeling to your team that allows for great execution and accomplishing the mission... gotta love Steve and the swagger he developed. Loved being apart of the healing SOS brought when it came to playing the dawgs. Go Gators!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure we saw Sister Hazel in Athens that night after the game as well (ah, blurred memories), and didn't the Brave's win something that night that sent everybody into 'chop' mode with a little impromptu parade. Ugh, that made me sick (I hate the Braves BTW). Some friends also blew out two tires in a deep storm drain grate that night and had to crash with us at our crash spot, which was on a floor in married housing with a fellow UFer who had gone up to Athens for grad school, or his wife did................again, fuzzy, but good, memories. :bandit:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
My favorite part of that game was a sequence where I believe:

1. UF ran a play and scored a TD, but was penalized .

2. UF ran another play from some yards further back and scored a TD for the second consecutive play, but was penalized.

3. UF ran another play from even further back and scored a TD for the third play in a row and this one stood.

Now maybe may memory is suspect and it was just UF getting a first down on those consecutive plays not a TD, but those were the days when UF's offense did not let things like a little penalty here or there even slow them down.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Edmiston has only tried four FGs all year"

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

And that wasn't for the reason that Butters didn't try FGs (because we were on our own side of the field).

I'm pretty sure Erik Kresser was the 2nd best QB in the SEC in 95.

I love that we had Mobley the fullback in the backfield in that last series as a tailback behind Evans (the other fullback) and Kresser in for 1.5 quarters (and the last 3 scores) and we still scored 50.

I'm sure SOS could have scored 80 if he wanted but we did see utility in keeping Will Duncecap's mentor Ray Goof on the sideline as long as possible. Too bad they fired him anyway.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My favorite part of that game was a sequence where I believe:

1. UF ran a play and scored a TD, but was penalized .

2. UF ran another play from some yards further back and scored a TD for the second consecutive play, but was penalized.

3. UF ran another play from even further back and scored a TD for the third play in a row and this one stood.

Now maybe may memory is suspect and it was just UF getting a first down on those consecutive plays not a TD, but those were the days when UF's offense did not let things like a little penalty here or there even slow them down.
I swear UF's offense had more 1st and 20 or 1st and 15 than any team in history. Probably helped pad our stats with extra yardage.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I swear UF's offense had more 1st and 20 or 1st and 15 than any team in history. Probably helped pad our stats with extra yardage.
And we didn’t give a sh*t because we knew it was no big deal to complete a quick slant or a fade route for the 1st down.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Edmiston has only tried four FGs all year"

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

And that wasn't for the reason that Butters didn't try FGs (because we were on our own side of the field).

I'm pretty sure Erik Kresser was the 2nd best QB in the SEC in 95.

I love that we had Mobley the fullback in the backfield in that last series as a tailback behind Evans (the other fullback) and Kresser in for 1.5 quarters (and the last 3 scores) and we still scored 50.

I'm sure SOS could have scored 80 if he wanted but we did see utility in keeping Will Duncecap's mentor Ray Goof on the sideline as long as possible. Too bad they fired him anyway.
I was at the Homecoming game that year. Spurrier sat Wuerffel. Kresser had a helluva game, tossing something like five touchdowns en route to a 58-20 win over Northern Illinois.

You had the feeling that no matter who Spurrier plugged into the offense, we were gonna light up the scoreboard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.