Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Looks gut shot, did he run?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Looks gut shot, did he run?

Yes and yes....the red spot on the stomach that you can see is from the tracking dog who found him. That's his reward, he gets to chew on the deer for a little bit. Since it's a wire haired dachshund, it takes him awhile to cause any damage.

The deer started trotting across the field opening before I could get my muzzle loader on him. He was starting to quarter away and I lined up the shot as if he were still and squeezed the trigger. The flash image I had through the scope was of the crosshairs right behind the last rib, and aligned with the far leg. But....he was trotting. He ran about 300 yards. Six hours later the dog started his track and found the deer in 5 min. All of the meat was good and recovered except for the interior loins.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yes and yes....the red spot on the stomach that you can see is from the tracking dog who found him. That's his reward, he gets to chew on the deer for a little bit. Since it's a wire haired dachshund, it takes him awhile to cause any damage.

The deer started trotting across the field opening before I could get my muzzle loader on him. He was starting to quarter away and I lined up the shot as if he were still and squeezed the trigger. The flash image I had through the scope was of the crosshairs right behind the last rib, and aligned with the far leg. But....he was trotting. He ran about 300 yards. Six hours later the dog started his track and found the deer in 5 min. All of the meat was good and recovered except for the interior loins.
yeah, quartering shots are tough... math 'n angles 'n schit! :lol: And yeah, 300 yards might as well be a mile tracking as a human if he's not leaving a good trail.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
As I am not a hunter, these are the hunting tidbits I find most fascinating. (I grew up in an urban environment where the biggest wild mammal was probably a possum and the biggest bird was a grackle - though as the nearby river has become much cleaner over the years, big birds like eagles are now more common.)
Forgive this question if it’s a dumb one, but will an owl go after a turkey? I always figured they were too big for an owl. If not, why does the turkey get spooked.
Mature turkeys don't get spooked by owls. During the spring mating season a testosterone filled Gobbler will many times sound off to the first sound he hears at daylight, usually that's an owl. Some have even gobbled to the slamming a car door. They will also gobble to loud sounds during the day, just not as much.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Well, I am in Eagle, CO (tried to get a part for my ATV - no luck). Down from Burns where I am camping and elk hunting. Second go round for the year and is is damn near as hot now as it was in late October. Highs in the 50s and lows in the upper teens. No snow. Nothing to get the elk down from the dark timber above 10,000 feet. The only area with that kind of altitude I can hunt was closed by BLM on the 1st.

But, I do enjoy taking my rifle for long sunrise and sunset walks in the hills!

I will take some pics to upload when I get back to camp. But no cell or data up there, so Monday at the soonest. Hopefully, there will be a cow elk picture as well.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Saw a flock turkeys on my way to elk camp in a little hamlet on the Colorado River. A couple nice Tom's in there, but a host of hens. About as dark as I have ever seen turkeys up here. They usually have some cream from Merriams this far west, but not even a hint of it. Looks like the Rio Grande blood is pushing west.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Well, I am in Eagle, CO (tried to get a part for my ATV - no luck). Down from Burns where I am camping and elk hunting. Second go round for the year and is is damn near as hot now as it was in late October. Highs in the 50s and lows in the upper teens. No snow. Nothing to get the elk down from the dark timber above 10,000 feet. The only area with that kind of altitude I can hunt was closed by BLM on the 1st.

I will take some pics to upload when I get back to camp. But no cell or data up there, so Monday at the soonest. Hopefully, there will be a cow elk picture as well.
Yeah, seems to be crazy warm and no snow yet out west... ski places gettin hit too.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

PS What set up are you hunting with?

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Hot 60 degrees today. Back in town watching football. BLM screwed us closing the road to the only area with enough altitude where the elk are hanging out.

Friggin blizzard warning in Hawaii though!

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Took my son and his friend to try and get his friend’s first buck. He took this one with my rifle last Saturday. Dropped him in his tracks at 150 yds.

Attachments

• 4DF9FE02-8DA1-4FF0-8252-C4FABEBEAC07.jpeg
    4DF9FE02-8DA1-4FF0-8252-C4FABEBEAC07.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 37

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
What rifle (and caliber) is that? Looks beautiful. Is that a 3x9x50 Leupold?
Thanks.

Ruger Model 77 in .270 Win. Scope is indeed a Leupold, a Vari X III 3.5 x 10 x 50.

I bought the gun used in 1994, upgraded the scope from a Tasco to Leupold in 1995. I had the trigger worked on back about 2010.

Filled a bunch tags with this ol' rifle and it has the scars to show for it.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Thanks.

Ruger Model 77 in .270 Win. Scope is indeed a Leupold, a Vari X III 3.5 x 10 x 50.

I bought the gun used in 1994, upgraded the scope from a Tasco to Leupold in 1995. I had the trigger worked on back about 2010.

Filled a bunch tags with this ol' rifle and it has the scars to show for it.

Beautiful gun and a very nice scope. Upgrading from a Tasco to a Leupold must have been jarring. Like going from a Pinto to a Lincoln. :) :)

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
The farmer we lease from asked us to shoot a few does. A fine meaty specimen.
I shot a doe the other day too. Plenty around in Alabama. I also shoot a .270. Mine is old so I worked with friend (gunsmith and disabled vet) and put a synthetic stock on it. I used a Vari-X 111 for years but with advancing age it didn't gather enough light at daylight & sunset to suit me so I switched to a Zeiss and am very satisfied.

Last edited:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
This coming weekend I'm heading to NC to hunt a lease I have there with my stepson. My expectations are low...hoping for a doe. Maybe 100-120 lbs. They grow them small down there. Not quite Key deer small....

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I shot a doe the other day too. Plenty around in Alabama. I also shoot a .270. Mine is old so I worked with friend (gunsmith and disabled vet) and put a synthetic stock on it. I used a Vari-X 111 for years but with advancing age it didn't gather enough light at daylight & sunset to suit me so I switched to a Zeiss and am very satisfied.

Trijicon is what I buy now for my top end projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb