Hallelujah, Hunting Season Starts 10/17

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Trijicon is what I buy now for my top end projects.
I'm a Nightforce guy for my top end and distance shooting (but I get stuff from them practically free, perk of my werk).. and am perfectly happy with Nikon's for regular stuff. They seem to be a good value for the money, and they seem to let in a lot of light in low light conditions.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Gonna try a couple pics from elk camp. Literally camp, since the snow never came to get the elk down to us.

UZFJG1Fzb9rcimeK9

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
IMG_0192.JPG

Not the largest buck but a fine one especially after passing up quite a few smaller ones. I would however like to meet up with the big guy who messed his rack up!

Last edited:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Any of you Hunters ever seen this?

Albino deer in backyard
I've seen a Piebald deer (large white spots dappled over the brown), a white wild turkey and killed a wild turkey that was a mixture of reddish rust color and gray, A Fallow deer never loses his fawn spots. I have seen an albino whitetail deer in captivity.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Went bird hunting yesterday. The weather was absolutely beautiful, slight wind and high 40’s. We were able to get 27 of the 30 birds that were put out.

9C86BC83-D531-4214-96D9-43F45D48C31B.jpeg
8AA7EDCF-9B0A-4AF3-B6F5-B6F3F93E575E.jpeg

The two lemons are great dogs. Watching them and the other dogs work made the shooting almost anticlimactic. I don’t get to do this as much as I’d like, but I enjoy it more than any other hunting I do.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Went bird hunting yesterday. The weather was absolutely beautiful, slight wind and high 40’s. We were able to get 27 of the 30 birds that were put out.

The two lemons are great dogs. Watching them and the other dogs work made the shooting almost anticlimactic. I don’t get to do this as much as I’d like, but I enjoy it more than any other hunting I do.
I have some guys who come out and work their dogs. It's certainly great to watch them work and do a little shooting. BTW, look forward to some great quail recipes!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Frozen Gator we were just talking about cooking quail this morning at work. Frying is always a first option and when I do I’ll soak them in buttermilk for at least half a day and then salt and pepper them before flowering and then hitting the oil. I usually cook the legs first and have them for appetizers. Will probably toss them in some Buffalo wing sauce.

We also like to soak them overnight in Italian dressing then wrap in bacon and cook on the grill. I’ve watched cooking shows where they’ll brown them on the stovetop and finish in the oven.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
@Frozen Gator we were just talking about cooking quail this morning at work. Frying is always a first option and when I do I’ll soak them in buttermilk for at least half a day and then salt and pepper them before flowering and then hitting the oil. I usually cook the legs first and have them for appetizers. Will probably toss them in some Buffalo wing sauce.

We also like to soak them overnight in Italian dressing then wrap in bacon and cook on the grill. I’ve watched cooking shows where they’ll brown them on the stovetop and finish in the oven.
That's about the way we do it here. One thing I have started doing is injecting the breasts (cajun butter or strained Italian dressing) before cooking. I do my best to keep the breasts from being dry and this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.