Have Our Coaches Prejudged K. Toney Wrong?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
By the thread title, I'm asking could Toney be another QB similar to Lamar Jackson of Louisville? Do you really have adequate confidence in the Mac consortium at talent evaluation, QB-development or use? Disgust please.

>> correction = last word in the title should be Wrongly. Sorry.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Perhaps but our offense is not designed to do what they do. Part of our problem is our offense does not stress opposing defenses with a highly mobile QB as do many current college teams. Even NFL teams have come to decide that such stress is essential in many ways, unless you have say Tom Brady as your QB and his weapons.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I seriously doubt their assessments. He has a quick release and was very accurate in HS. Doesnt have a cannon but who cares especially when this offense is a screen pass offense anyway.

BTW, if never understood acreen pass offenses. High risk (pick 6 if CB guesses correctly) and low gain.

Sos made top 20 offenses with walkon QBs. Butters cant make top 100 offense with 4 stars.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Of course they misjudged. I'm not even saying that with malice.
Toney is currently playing out of position but is a naturally gifted playmaker with the ball in his hands.
I could only imagine that with the same coaching that Mac gave to claribelle, Franks or Toney would be formidable.

Sep 29, 2015
Yes, as did every other P5 coach who refused to recruit him as a QB (Mac was the exception in that regard at least).

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's probably as elusive as Vick with Virginia Tech 17 years ago, which is to say he'd be near impossible to sack without pressure from multiple sides. Even then, he's so shifty and quick.

How good a passer is he? We may never know unless Franks goes down.

We stopped being a good developer/evaluator of passing ability when SOS left.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Lol... Have you guys ever coached any level of football? Thats not how it works. Coaches don't generally hold players back. Of course there's exceptions to the rule, but usually when you step on a practice field the most talented players are easily identified. I understand your unwavering hope, but I'm guessing he's not playing QB because he isn't any good. You need more than quickness, speed and agility to be L. Jackson. CFB is full of great athletes. If it were that easy everyone would have a dynamic QB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, as did every other P5 coach who refused to recruit him as a QB (Mac was the exception in that regard at least).
Butters moved him to WR immediately and only let him pretend to play quarterback in the spring because Zaire wasn't here yet and delrio was hurt still.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Coaches don't generally hold players back. Of course there's exceptions to the rule, but usually when you step on a practice field the most talented players are easily identified.
LOL is right. These coaches are clueless about which kids are the most talented.

McCoy
Toney
Davis
Slaton
Conliffe

And that is just in the last few weeks.

You almost wonder if the coaches attend practices or perhaps if they hold practices at all.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lol... Have you guys ever coached any level of football? Thats not how it works. Coaches don't generally hold players back. Of course there's exceptions to the rule, but usually when you step on a practice field the most talented players are easily identified. I understand your unwavering hope, but I'm guessing he's not playing QB because he isn't any good. You need more than quickness, speed and agility to be L. Jackson. CFB is full of great athletes. If it were that easy everyone would have a dynamic QB.

That must explain why Mac had Will Grier and Treon Harris even over the first three games of 2015.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LOL is right. These coaches are clueless about which kids are the most talented.

McCoy
Toney
Davis
Slaton
Conliffe

And that is just in the last few weeks.

You almost wonder if the coaches attend practices or perhaps if they hold practices at all.

I honestly think this may be where we trust his judgment the least.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly think this may be where we trust his judgment the least.
I struggle to think of a strength.

I'm sure he probably sees it. He has to see it, right? Imo he just is so conservative that instinctively he prefers to play the upperclassmen even when the talent gap is wide.

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
That must explain why Mac had Will Grier and Treon Harris even over the first three games of 2015.

I also seem to remember reading reports that Tebow was a poor practice player.... I'm not comparing the two as QB, but some guys are just gamers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.