Heavener Complex: Foley outrageously honored with a wing named after him

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The players new living quarters may have a bigger impact on recruiting and the day to day lives of the players than the new complex.

Mark Wheeler is pretty dang good and he is a good source of information (ITG).

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Oh my lawd

How the FVKK is this possible? The guy who single handedly set UF football back for the better part of 20 years gets his name in a new complex, a complex which he famously said UF would never want or need. And now every school that we compete with is in their 3rd or 4th iteration of a modern facility and this A$$HAT gets his name on the wall. FVKK FOOLEY.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How the FVKK is this possible? The guy who single handedly set UF football back for the better part of 20 years gets his name in a new complex, a complex which he famously said UF would never want or need. And now every school that we compete with is in their 3rd or 4th iteration of a modern facility and this A$$HAT gets his name on the wall. FVKK FOOLEY.
I’m a little surprised here. I thought for sure you would have supported this.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is a little weaker than I was anticipating from you to be honest. Felt like a Foley effort. Maybe that was the point.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’m a little surprised here. I thought for sure you would have supported this.
Vince Vaughn Lol GIF by filmeditor

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is great stuff. It's also absolutely outrageous it wasn't done years ago. Foley had a huge fundraising opportunity in 2007 when UF held football and basketball titles at the same time - donors would have been falling all over themselves to give money at that time. He could have raised enough to install solid gold toilets. Instead, he did NOTHING - just let student athletes rot in what was known as "Section 8 Housing" for decades.

And his punishment for his incompetence is:

- Having part of the facility he never wanted named after him.
- A $400k annual salary to pretend to be the Athletics Director Emeritus.

Kinda hard to justify either but especially the continued position in the department. The corporate world I came from would have tarred and feathered him in public.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
And his punishment for his incompetence is:

- Having part of the facility he never wanted named after him.
- A $400k annual salary to pretend to be the Athletics Director Emeritus.

Kinda hard to justify either but especially the continued position in the department. The corporate world I came from would have tarred and feathered him in public.
I’m willing to fill the no-show job of AD emeritus for half what UF is paying Fooley. And I’ll ensure that they don’t name anything after me.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just heard on a podcast that something like 61 teams out of 65 power 5 teams have gotten all in one facilities. We just became number 62.

It’s remarkable the FSU is part of that final three or so who have not received one yet.

Also talks about how A&M, Georgia, and Bama facilities are still much better. There are other things that they have other than a facility like this.

It’s a good listen.

Go to the 3.45 mark

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I just heard on a podcast that something like 61 teams out of 65 power 5 teams have gotten all in one facilities. We just became number 62.

It’s remarkable the FSU is part of that final three or so who have not received one yet.

It's economics. FSU could barely scrape together enough money to buy out Taggart, attendance has been down for years and they are saving money to potentially buy out Norvell. No money to get their own facilities.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's economics. FSU could barely scrape together enough money to buy out Taggart, attendance has been down for years and they are saving money to potentially buy out NorveLLLL. No money to get their own facilities.
I just read something about how they brought in a new AD who is good at fundraising. They are supposedly going to start on their new all in one within the next year.

If they don’t get their **** in gear, FAMU is going to overtake them as the Premier football program in Tallahassee

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I just read something about how they brought in a new AD who is good at fundraising. They are supposedly going to start on their new all in one within the next year.

If they don’t get their **** in gear, FAMU is going to overtake them as the Premier football program in Tallahassee

Would assume there is plenty of assumption there that they don't fire Norvell this year. The millions that would be involved would set them back again.

Also, FAMU booted them from the ACC Network last night. Not sure it hasn't already happened.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

My first reaction to them inviting 100+ football alumni to tour the new facility was, "Ouch! It's too late for them to use it! Almost like rubbing it in their faces that they deserved better."

But nah, that is a brilliant move, to bring all the alumni back and show them how the commitment to player development and lifestyle has improved since they were here. Not to rub it in their faces, but so they can now go back to their respective communities and CROOT for their Gators with a little extra gusto.

And on the front end, bringing old players back and treating them like VIPs is something that makes the current players feel better about their choice to come here. It gives them expectations of being welcomed back on campus as Gator royalty someday themselves. Maybe a little something to think about for anyone eyeballing that transfer portal.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
This is great stuff. It's also absolutely outrageous it wasn't done years ago. Foley had a huge fundraising opportunity in 2007 when UF held football and basketball titles at the same time - donors would have been falling all over themselves to give money at that time. He could have raised enough to install solid gold toilets. Instead, he did NOTHING - just let student athletes rot in what was known as "Section 8 Housing" for decades.
Good point. To their credit the Alumni Association did a lot of fundraising off that success. I remember them calling me all the time during that period. They even timed their calls so they would catch you literally while tailgating before a game, or while celebrating afterward. But that was for the academic programs. I don't remember getting any solicitations specifically from the Athletic Association.

Foley definitely should've capitalized on that, but he almost seemed to be making a point of saying that we don't need to spend money to have winning teams.

Maybe that was part of Foley's pitch or schtick in selling himself to the administration and big donors -- "I'm the athletic director who promises success without asking you for money every five minutes. Aren't I great?"

No. You suck. You got lucky with a few hires but you are utterly lacking in vision and imagination.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Good point. To their credit the Alumni Association did a lot of fundraising off that success. I remember them calling me all the time during that period. They even timed their calls so they would catch you literally while tailgating before a game, or while celebrating afterward. But that was for the academic programs. I don't remember getting any solicitations specifically from the Athletic Association.

Foley definitely should've capitalized on that, but he almost seemed to be making a point of saying that we don't need to spend money to have winning teams.

Maybe that was part of Foley's pitch or schtick in selling himself to the administration and big donors -- "I'm the athletic director who promises success without asking you for money every five minutes. Aren't I great?"

No. You suck. You got lucky with a few hires but you are utterly lacking in vision and imagination.
He simply had no vision for the future. None. In his mind, we had just won titles with sh!t facilities, which proved we didn't need them and never would.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
He simply had no vision for the future. None. In his mind, we had just won titles with sh!t facilities, which proved we didn't need them and never would.
A lot of the Bull Gators of the early 2000's era bought into that formulation, too.

3z1lp.jpg

"Indoor facility? Workout machines? Gatorade? Phooey! Whyyy, back in my day we had an old tractor tire to flip around in a patch of dirt! And a rusty bucket of tap water to drink from when we got thirsty! Which was never!"

Ahh, the Greatest Generation. Now that covid bumped the last of them off we can get down to business, with our fancy schmancy gizmos and highfalutin contraptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.